Jogging!!!

Options
Today I decided that it would be a good Idea to run 2 miles near my house. Well where I live there are a lot of hills and I thought hey if I can do this then there is no problem with doing the marathon in May. ( laced with hills this marathon) So after getting through the first mile I thought I can do this. I got half way up the first hill in the second mile and felt like I might die! Part of this is I think I need better shoes. The other part is I was so out of breath that even yelling at myself to get my *kitten* moving I still couldn't bring myself to get up the rest of that first hill!! Now I know that I am new at this and I will continue to try but I also know that this is so hard!!! But hey I will get more comfortable with regular jogging and then I will try again with the hills.

Replies

• elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    You went out and did it...that's half the battle. Great job! I HATED jogging/running when I first started and now I get a little grouchy when I can't run. Have you tried any of the Couch to 5K programs? I'm not sure how new you are to running or if you are just picking it back up again. I recently completed the couch to 10K and really enjoyed it. I wish I would have started with the 5k when I started to run. I think I would have really enjoyed the experience much more. PS...I still hate hills :grumble:
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    hills are a nightmare to every runner, no matter how often you run up them! I live in a very hilly city too so can't avoid them, besides its good for different muscles to run up and down hills, takes more effort and you burn more calories! If you can do hills then you'll breeze it on race day.
    Good trainers are essential but you don't have to spend a fortune on them, they only last for 500 miles so why spend a fortune on trainers when you have to replace them every 3 or 4 months!
    Sounds like you're doing really well already - keep at it and make sure you enjoy it! Good luck in your race
  • mamahafner
    mamahafner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes I am new to all of this. I am doing a 5K on April 3rd and then a half marathon on May 7th. The 5K isn't as scary for me but the half marathon is almost all hills! :grumble: So I am dreading it a bit. I want to at least finish it. Then when I finish it I can say well I finished it so why not run the next one. We will see how it goes. Since I have started jogging I have loved every minute of it. But today just put me into a worse mood because I couldn't finish the 2 mile jogging. :mad: But next time I will be ready. :wink: Thanks for the support! It is defiantely needed. :smile:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes I am new to all of this. I am doing a 5K on April 3rd and then a half marathon on May 7th. The 5K isn't as scary for me but the half marathon is almost all hills! :grumble: So I am dreading it a bit. I want to at least finish it. Then when I finish it I can say well I finished it so why not run the next one. We will see how it goes. Since I have started jogging I have loved every minute of it. But today just put me into a worse mood because I couldn't finish the 2 mile jogging. :mad: But next time I will be ready. :wink: Thanks for the support! It is defiantely needed. :smile:

Hills are a 'hard day', not an easy day. Your distance SHOULD be shorter on a 'hard day'.

If you want to do hill repeats, that's great! But do them one day per week. Hills are strength training. You have to treat them that way.

You only need one good hill for hill repeats. Just go up it (at any pace that you can sustain) and then turn around and go back down it. Give yourself a minute or two of walking to recover. Then do it again.

And yes, get fitted for good running shoes NOW, before you injure yourself and in planty of time to be used to them before your race in May!