Options
I'm 365 pounds i walk about 30min 2to3
Times aweek is this enough or should I've
Doing more

Replies

• Susan77
    Susan77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    In my opinion its a very good start! After a couple weeks of exercising up it alittle longer to like 40 minutes each time. Awesome job keep up the good work!!!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    start out slowly & increase as you're able to tolerate it. someone explained to me that losing weight through diet alone is going to get rid of the stuff on the inside, but if you exercise, it'll tone & get rid of the stuff on the outside :o) the more exercise the better! muscle burns more calories to simply be maintained, than fat, so any muscle built helps.
  • Susan77
    Susan77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Also i started out at 20 minutes ..3x a week after a month im 45min -1hr 5x a week... And i cant believe i say this but i love exercising now!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm no expert and don't have that much to lose, but I would say you should be doing that walk way more than 2-3 times per week. 30 minutes is a great start, but if you can up that to 4-5 times a week you'll start seeing changes much faster. Make sure you're walking as fast as you can, getting your heart rate up and breaking a sweat! That's what is going to burn the fat! If you can add a 30 minute session of weight lifting in there (or resistance band training) that would really be great too (3 days a week). I am not a trainer, and this might be too much, but I see the contestants on The Biggest Loser doing way more than this and if they can do it, so can you!!!!

Good luck!
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Basic recommendation from the American College of Sports Medicine and the America Heart Association is 30 minutes of moderate intensity at least 5 times per week. I would suggest adding a few days and get your body used to moving more before adding extra time or intensity.

Good Luck - you can do it!!!
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Also i started out at 20 minutes ..3x a week after a month im 45min -1hr 5x a week... And i cant believe i say this but i love exercising now!!

That is so excellent! I understand how you feel! I say exercise as much as you can, as long as you feel good. I always try to push myself to do more. If you think you can, you will!
  • Nonvictus
    Options
    Congrats on getting into the exercise state of mind!

I found this article very interesting when i started out: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18exercise-t.html

In a nut-shell, what it says is that losing weight is more a factor of limiting calorie intake. Exercise is most important for MAINTAINING weight loss.

That being said, any exercise is good exercise, no matter what you're doing. More is better than less. I would try to get 30 minutes of walking per day as a good start - or, say 1.5 - 2 miles per day, if you can. If not, try it 3 times per week, and increase from there.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    LOOK I STARTED AT 309 AND DOWN TO 269.8 I WOULD NOT DO THIS WITHOUT A HRM WITH A CHEST STRAP THAT WAY YOU CAN WORK OUT LONGER AND NOT HAVE YOUR HEART RATE TOO HIGH FRIEND ME IF YOU LIKE
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Do what you can do ... I started January 16th and 402lbs and since then I have been walking 14 - 17 minutes a day (2 miles) for 4 days a week and I play some games on the kinect .... Im down a little over 17lbs but I know I am ready to take my exercise up a level now ....
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting exercising. To be honest with you, I also started out slow, but I only started to see results when I ramped it up alot higher. I find that 5 times a week for an hour is the bare minimum. I try to get in 90 minutes 6 times a week of interval training. It is a matter of making exercise a priority on your path to better health. Good luck, just take it one day at a time and increase your activity gradually at a pace you are comfortable with.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision to get healthy. While it's easy for people to offer advice, in the end you need to listen to your body. I have lost 51 pounds so far. Although its nice to have lofty ideas of mega exercising, its also important to pace yourself. Too much in the beginning will seem overwhelming, and may make you think twice about continuing. I exercise every day, but thats a personal decison. When I started I wasn't able to do as much as I thought I should. So I set a goal for the day, and did a few minutes here and a few minutes there to add up to 30 minutes a day. Now, most days I rarely do less than 90 and most days I do 2 hours. Whatever you choose, do it so its sustainable. While I am a fan of Biggest Loser, the amount of exercise on the show is carefully monitored by a doctor. I wish you much success.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm 365 pounds i walk about 30min 2to3
    Times aweek is this enough or should I've
    Doing more

I started at 350lbs, back then I would do 30 minutes at the gym maybe 2 days a week. Now I am up to 5 days a week at the gym and going for about 45 minutes, but I train harder in that time now. My suggestion is to listen to your body, push to a point where you heart rate is up (get a HRM for calorie burn tracking) and keep your heart rate up for those 30 minutes. If you can only do 3 days a week for now, fine. Try to increase the time and or the number of days as you feel you can. It is not a race, do not push hard enough to injure yourself, but do push yourself. I speak from experience, the huffing and puffing will stop in a few weeks if you push. I am 318 now and started on Jan 28th. You can do, drop me a friend request if you want someone to chat with that is going through the same battle.

Also, if you cannot get to a gym, get some hand weights to do a little strength training. Walking does not do much for the upper body, try to get something going for that part of your body too, it will speed up your progress. I can help with suggested workouts if you want.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision to get healthy. While it's easy for people to offer advice, in the end you need to listen to your body. I have lost 51 pounds so far. Although its nice to have lofty ideas of mega exercising, its also important to pace yourself. Too much in the beginning will seem overwhelming, and may make you think twice about continuing. I exercise every day, but thats a personal decision. When I started I wasn't able to do as much as I thought I should. So I set a goal for the day, and did a few minutes here and a few minutes there to add up to 30 minutes a day. Now, most days I rarely do less than 90 and most days I do 2 hours. Whatever you choose, do it so its sustainable. While I am a fan of Biggest Loser, the amount of exercise on the show is carefully monitored by a doctor. I wish you much success.

Very true, do not be influenced by shows like the Biggest Loser for a realistic exercise plan. They workout 6-8 hours a day and that is highly unrealistic. Even 2 hours a day can be tough if you have a job and family that puts demands on your time as well. If you follow the caloric deficit provided by MFP and set your activity to sedentary you will see progress no matter your workout. The energy to workout more will come as you lose weight. I suggest taking at the very least a multivitamin as well. I take the Mega Men Sport vitapak from GNC and find some days I have a surplus of energy most days. Like today I take the weekends off from working out, but I am so damn bouncy with energy right now I am going to head to the gym anyway to take advantage of the energy.

One thing I noticed that you might too as you lose weight is your lower back and joints might start bothering you a bit. I equate this to my body being in shock from not having to carry as much weight. So I sit on a heating pad and now an taking a joint supplement called Triflex from GNC too. I am hoping that will help my body adjust as the pounds continue to drop off. Just don't let minor pain stall your progress, your body will adapt as it is very adaptable to new conditions. Especially healthier conditions. Keep on keepin' on! :happy: