hypertension

Options
Hey all -

I started MFP about three weeks ago and have found that it is the ideal way for me to meet my goals.

Unfortunately, I went to the doctor to get a smashed finger checked out and found that my systolic BP is fairly high (141/75). This has been issue of mine for a number of years, but I have never taken any meds for it. Although I am exercising three times a week and eating balanced meals, my BP continues to be high.

Does anyone know of any important lifestyle changes or nutrition changes to make? I know that one thing I really need to cut is caffeine. Besides this, any tips?

Thanks and good luck all!

Stephen

Replies

• jonisalie
    jonisalie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cut sodium down to 1500mg or less each day, that is a big one
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Stephen,

I was pre-hypertensive for years. Sodium is a big one for me. Still working on that, but increasing my exercise has helped like you can't believe! Obviously, reduce stress, take yoga, meditation, etc....
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and i just checked my sodium, it's always around 2500... it's gonna be hard to cut down to 1500 as i do not even add any salt to any food
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    how long have you been working out for? if you just started working out a couple months ago... it takes your body a little time to catch up and lower your BP... I'm coming from the opposite end and have hypotension (88/54 was my last reading).
  • jonisalie
    Options
    :smooched:
  • jonisalie
    Options
    When we lowered our sodium , I got rid of all the salt and unhealthy foods. Then it is about reading and reading and more reading labels in the grocery store. You would not believe the salt in everyday foods. Even the difference between brands is amazing. Once you remove sallt it is very easy to stay away from it. My mfp settng s for 1500 and I usually stay aorund 700 - 900 per day. Frozen foods are the worst for sodium.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    When I started mine was 144/88, I checked it this morning and it was 116/68. I basically eat low fat to no fat, low sodium (900 to 1200 mg) a day, no processed foods or starchy carbs. I have been on my diet for 8 weeks. I am obese with about another 100 I would like to lose. You can check out my diary if you want. I only eat one solid meal a day, the rest are meal replacement shakes.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Cut sodium and increase potassium. Also if you could add walking at least 30 minutes a day, studies have shown that to be helpful. Lots of other tips on realage.com - they have a search feature that will bring up plenty of articles. I've been following their tips for almost 3 years and find them really helpful.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I also have high blood pressure. In addition to keeping my sodium at 1500 mg, I have cut caffeine, virtually eliminated alcohol, and started taking the supplement CoEnzyme Q-10. Eating high potassium foods help, too. You can search online for what is known as the DASH diet, which has good guidelines for eating in a way to lower blood pressure. But risk for high blood pressure is a mix of factors, some of them hereditary. You can definitely lower it through diet, exercise, and weight management, but may not be able to make it normal without some form of medication.
  • Timolyn
    Timolyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to always have a high systolic BP when I got it checked at the doctor's office and I was always low or normal when I checked it myself at the pharmacy. I also found my blood pressure was higher when I haven't eaten in a couple of hours. I realized that I get nervous at the doctor's office and food has a tendency to calm me down. So I always make sure I eat and when I get my blood pressure taken at the doctor's office I close my eyes and think of things that make me relax (I actually always think of my dog).

My suggestion would be to check your blood pressure on your own at different times of the day and after certain events to really get an idea if its high. Generally if your doctor is concerned about it they would have suggested you purchase a BP monitor because it can be such an inconsistent # and vary in different situations.

Check it before you exercise one day, than 5 hours after you exercise another. Then do a food test. Check it before you eat and then check it after. Always write down your results and bring them to your doctor the next time and see what they say.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Borderline readings, I don't want to be on meds! My doctor stated that if I get rid of about 20% of my bodyweight, I should see an improvement. That 20% is my first goal.
  • StephenHebs
    StephenHebs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks all for the responses. Cutting sodium and walking are two things I will definitely begin working on.

I don't know much about Q-10... I'll have to check that out.

I really don't want to be on meds!!
  • blkhwk34
    blkhwk34 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Before starting mfp and getting serious about losing weight my systolic bp was in the 140's. Even after losing weight and exercising 5 to 6 times a week I was struggling to get it down. I read a study that said drinking 3 cups of hibiscus tea a day helped to lower systolic bp by as much as 7 points, and since I like tea I thought I'd give it a try. I'm still losing weight and working out and have been drinking the blueberry hibiscus from The Republic of Tea for about two months. When I went to the doctor for my annual physical my bp was 125/82. I can't say for certain it was the tea, but something seems to be working.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I agree about getting a monitor and tracking it yourself. At first I had a borderline reading at the doctor's office too, but my doctor knew I was stressed about being there in the first place and figured I'd probably get better readings at home. Sure enough, my average at home is 110/64, with an average heart rate of 52 bpm. After several trips to the doctor (and getting more comfortable there) my bp readings have come down nicely there, too. It's good to get to know what's going on with your body!
  • the_other_kitkat
    Options
    Echoing the advice to track it yourself at home. When I began doing that I could see how losing even a few pounds made a noticeable difference, and I learned that in my case caffeine doesn't seem to affect it, so I was able to go back to drinking all the tea I want. :)
  • HollyHebs
    Options
    Cutting caffeine, sodium, and stress should be helpful.

And PS sphebard..you're kinda cute. If you need a walking partner I can help get your blood pressure down :)
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    Cutting caffeine, sodium, and stress should be helpful.

And PS sphebard..you're kinda cute. If you need a walking partner I can help get your blood pressure down :)

Sounds like an offer you cant refuse ; )
    I've had extremely high BP for years. I take meds, but they affect my heart rate when I work out. (its difficult to reach and maintain my target heart rate) So far, I have been exercising, and losing weight for about 9 months, but I still have to take the meds. I just try to fit my workout in between them.