Help!!! I can't find the right HRM!

Options
OK....I guess I am a total dork...lol! Maybe I had this big idea in my head what a HRM would do and I was all wrong. My husband got me the Mio Drive. I mainly picked out this one because it was the only one that specifically stated it would work when swimming. Someone told me that HRM's that say "waterproof" can only be put in water, but it won't actually function to measure your calories burned in while swimming. So....

1. Is that true, are there only specific HRM's that will work in the pool, or will any one of them that says "waterproof" work?

Next...I wanted one without a chest strap because I am big through the chest and I was told the chest strap fits tight if you are big through the chest.

2. Is a strapless one going to work just a good as one with a strap?

Here is where I think I thought maybe a HRM did something that maybe it isn't even capable of doing. I thought that it would take my pulse continually during my exercising and give me an accurate readout of how many calories I burned during a specific workout.

3. Can they do this, or did I just have the totally wrong idea of what a HRM was capable of?

...because the Mio requires that you enter in a "category" of the exercise you are doing (walking within a time limit, jogging, running, or training). It requires that I stop what I am doing and place my thumb and finger on the side of the watch and wait 4-7 seconds until it takes my pulse. I have to have it measure my pulse at the beginning of the exercise, a few times during the exercise, and again at the end of the exercise. That just seems like it would really interrupt one's exercising. I am technically illiterate....so I may have this all wrong. Can someone help me???

I looked online and I found a list of all the features you could get on one. I thought I was picking out the right one! I am thinking maybe I got it all wrong.:sad:

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Ok, the one you got sounds pretty useless. ;)

I spent a fortune on my HRM by choice, but don't expect others to do the same. I had a hard time finding one that would work while swimming (I train and run triathlons), and finally gave up. I decided I didn't swim enough on average during my training to sweat it. Here is an article about HRMs that are good for swimming..

http://www.mademan.com/mm/heart-rate-monitors-swimming-5-best.html
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and when I was in the market for one I was told that the strap was a must. I don't swim and if I do I don't count it but did pull this from Polar's Site. I bought my HRM on ebay BNIB for $49.99

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/support/faqs?product=&category=General&documenttitle=Swimming+with+your+Polar+product?&document=/gip/PEUS1kb-public.nsf/web_cat/85256F470048B0BC85257474006C4C71

All of our monitors may be used for swimming with the exception of the RS800 and CS600.

ETA: I put my chest strap on and hook the transmitter thingy on, place the watch on my wrist and select start. I then do whatever exercise I want and my HRM shows me my heart rate, zone and how many calories I worked. At the end of my exercise I hit stop and it totals it up for me.
  • jstalittlecrzy
    jstalittlecrzy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar but a FT7.
    When I was looking I was told not to buy one without a chest strap if I wanted a good reading.
    I'm also big chested, they adjust, and I don't even feel it when it's on.
    Don't know about swimming cause I don't wear it then.
    I like mine except the buttons could be a little bigger.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and when I was in the market for one I was told that the strap was a must. I don't swim and if I do I don't count it but did pull this from Polar's Site. I bought my HRM on ebay BNIB for $49.99

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/support/faqs?product=&category=General&documenttitle=Swimming+with+your+Polar+product?&document=/gip/PEUS1kb-public.nsf/web_cat/85256F470048B0BC85257474006C4C71

All of our monitors may be used for swimming with the exception of the RS800 and CS600.

ETA: I put my chest strap on and hook the transmitter thingy on, place the watch on my wrist and select start. I then do whatever exercise I want and my HRM shows me my heart rate, zone and how many calories I worked. At the end of my exercise I hit stop and it totals it up for me.

With the monitors in the Polar T-Series, do I purchase the strap and transmitter separately. Also, will they fit larger chests?
  • courtneykrueger
    Options
    The strap and whatnot SHOULD come with it. I purchased and FT7 and it did. I cannot speak for the larger chest though, as I am not very blessed in that area.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 and the strap adjusts you wear it under your breasts not around them, so unless your ribcage is more than 53 inches this model would fit.

Mine can go in water and does record calories just the same. However it doesn't work in salt water.

You shouldn't have to input the workout, the whole point of a hrm is to keep track of calories burned based on your heart rate so any activity will give a reading (even sleeping)

Mine was 130$ here in canada.

IMO a chest strap is a must.
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've got a Polar FT60...with chest strap.
    Polar's are very popular...and very reliable.
    You can get different sized chest straps on their site...or Amazon.
    Check for the best prices.
    Good luck!
    :bigsmile: