the scale isnt the only enemy in my house

Options
ive been losing weight steadily. but i hadnt done my measurements in over 2 weeks and i was curious to see what they (i take 6 different ones) were.

well my stupid tape measure is showing an increase in 4 of the measurements and the other 2 measurements are the same.

i dont care much about the ones that have stayed the same. but damn those 4 that have increased! what is the deal???!!!

Replies

• MommyLumpkin
    Options
    Did you measure first thing in the morning or after you exercised? That could affect the measurements. Also, if you're working out alot, you're building muscle and that might make you measure more first. Remember to always weigh and measure first thing in the morning, after you go to the bathroom, and before you eat.
  • ecahill91
    ecahill91 Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm guessing (depending on where you are gaining...) water weight? Sometimes my tummy gets really bloated and puffed out -- I HATE it.
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    I only measure every 4-6 weeks because it takes a while to notice a difference. Like others said--could be water retention.
  • canucklynn
    canucklynn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other really good suggestions, I have noticed that with me, it was easy to NOT measure in the same spot. I but with a change of that big, you might be off a bit with where you are putting the tape measure.
    I now pick landmarks, like I measure my waist at my belly button. It isn't the smallest part of my waist, but I know if the tape goes right across it, I will be able to hit that same spot the next time. Likewise thighs and hips...there aren't any landmarks! So I put the tape around my waist (covering the belly button) and then measure down to my hips the same distance, put a mark there and then measure at that mark. For me, the widest part of my hips is about 8 inches down.
    I know that sounds pretty "retentive" but what is the point of measuring if the measurements aren't accurate or reliable? ...or worse, as in your concern, only get you frustrated and demoralized?
    Good luck regardless...
    Stick with it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Did you do the measurements yourself or have someone else do them...I know myself well enough to know that I will #1, forget exactly where I measured them, and #2 that I probably did it wrong in the first place :)