Should I eat before I work out?

Options
Should I eat before an early morning workout or wait until I am finished?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    depends on the type of exercise you are doing and its intesity. if you eat, dont eat right before..wait a good 45 mins before you work out after you eat. eat carbs to help fuel your workout.
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I always feel sick if I work out right after I eat. :frown:
  • 123nikki123
    123nikki123 Posts: 527
    Options
    I was eating before my workout but I have since changed it to afterwards. If I'm really hungry before I do it I'll grab a small yogurt :smile: I do the 30 day Shred plus running on my treadmill and I always felt like my breakfast was about to come up! :grumble:
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    AFTER (and preferably high protein), if you wanna burn the fat rather than the sugar in the bloodstream. The body uses the easiest source, first (at least in vigorous exercise).
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana before my 6am boot camp class. If I'm going for a run, I eat peanut butter toast. I can't function on an empty stomach:)
  • unicorn19girl
    unicorn19girl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I too eat a banana before my workout in the mornings...something in the stomach and gets the metabolism going.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It's more about what your stomach can handle. I can eat immediately before a workout and be fine. Even an intense workout. Now, if I were to eat an entire large pepperoni pizza...that might be a different story.

Something reasonably sized to give you some energy prior to a workout isn't a bad idea. Earlier in the week I put together a recipe for a high energy pre-workout (cardio) snack. I'm still testing it out but so far so good.

http://geoffpoitras.com/personal/fitographer/

Scroll down a bit for photos and recipe.
  • alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating a big dinner/lunch before I workout because I am afraid I am going to get cramps. If I am starving I will eat something small before my workouts. Most of the time I eat afterwards because you are still burning calories after your workout.
  • vballer21
    vballer21 Posts: 37
    Options
    Jillian Michael's posted this on her facebook today......I'm going with her:) Personally I need to fuel my body before an intense workout. Like putting gas in a car...you need fuel to go.

Smart Tip: Do NOT exercise on an empty stomach. The theory that you burn more fat with no available blood sugar is a myth. In fact, it can result in the loss of muscle tissue. So, make sure to get a healthy snack in you about 45 minutes before you train.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have breakfast and lunch before workouts, I workout after I get off of work, 5 hours go by from lunch to workout time. If I feel hungry in between, I have a small snack, some cheese or almonds but not much more. After my workouts I have a snack which consists of carbs and protein.
  • ameaston22
    Options
    Something like fruit or a light snack should be okay. However, I'd advise against a meal. Personally, if I eat right before I work out then I get the worst indigestion and feel sick. Don't eat right after either. I learned my lesson the hard way - you will get physically ill!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i always eat after, been told u should eat within the hour after exercise
  • hanna541
    hanna541 Posts: 32
    Options
    I USALY ALWAYS DO MY SLIM FAST SHAKE IN THE MORNING AND EAT MY LUNCH THEN GO TO THE GYM SO I CAN ACTUALY BURN WHAT I ATE BUT IF I HAVE TO GO IN THE AM I LOOK AT IT LIKE WELL I WORKED OUT YESTERDAY AFTERNOON AND ONLY SNACKED ON FRUITS SO ITS THE SAME THING THATS IF U GO EVERY DAY TO THE GYM I DO
    START WEIGHT 142
    GOAL WEIGHT 120
    NOW 135
    LOST 7 POUNDS IN 1 WEEK AND 5 DAYS AND WILL KEEP LOOSING 5 POUNDS EVERY WEEK