Making A grocery list, Need Help!

Options
Okay guys, im new to this eating healthy bit, and I need some help. There's almost no food in my apartment right now so all the junk is gone (along with everything else.) My usual grocery list includes a lot of processed foods and crap that I know I shouldn't be eating. Also, Im a big snacker, so I need some alternatives to my usual chips/cookies routine. lol

So what im asking for is 4 foods you can't live without, so I can make a grocery list. 2 "Mealtime" foods, and 2 "Healthy Snacks".

Mealtime:
1. ?
2. ?

Snacks
1. ?
2. ?

Replies

• frubjious
    frubjious Posts: 355
    Options
    Hi
    Don't know if you like this sort of thing but some good basics to start would be:

Meal Times
    1.Jacket potato
    2. Stir fry

Snacks
    1. Hummus
    2. Avocado

Hope that helps
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    Mealtime:
    1. Frozen Chicken Breasts
    2. Brown Rice

Snacks:
    1. Whole Unsalted Almonds
    2. Grapes (and throw them in the freezer, they're great frozen)

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    hummus, peppers, carrots, celery, peanut butter, eggs, brown rice, couscous, laughing cow swiss cheese, water (im a bottled water fiend...its a mental issue thing no worries there).... whole wheat pita, low sodium turkey breast slices

Meal Times
    1. brown rice and steamed veggies
    2. spinach salad with grilled chicken

Snack Time
    1. Hummus and Peppers
    2. Celery or Carrots and peanut butter (get reduced fat and stick to te serving size).
  • rbrducky
    rbrducky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Mealtime:
    Salmon
    Chicken breast
    (also a good alternative in the morning is turkey bacon, it's not quite the same, but half the calories and such! Just don't buy jenni-o's...it's kinda gross. lol)

Snacks:
    yoplait yogurt (light)
    fruit/veggies(you can even find canned for low-cal...just make sure it's the no sugar added)
    special-k crackers

I know I gave three of each, but just couldn't decide! haha. Good luck! :)
  • ashleyk_xox
    ashleyk_xox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ok-Im not just gonna name 2 Ill name some of the things that I get when I go to the grocery.

Chicken Breasts, Tuna (in water), Whole Wheat Bread, Baby Carrots, Rice Cakes, Lean Pockets (for on the go), apples, bananas, Kashi Waffles, Splenda, Ground White Turkey, Flat Out Light Flat bread, Fat free mayo, Fat free cheese, Fat free sour cream, Salad Mix, Mushrooms (im addicted to them), sweet potatoes, salsa, cod fillets, Progresso Light Soup, Fresh Asparagus, Oatmeal, Whole Grain Rice, tomatoes, fresh jalepenos, dill pickles, light and fit yogurt, frozen California Mix veggies with cheese sauce, sugar free pudding, crystal light, parkay butter spray, egg whites in a carton *egg beaters, skim milk, english muffins, Fat Free Cream Cheese, Fat Free Shredded Mozarella, turkey bacon

hope this helps a little bit!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    HI there.

Meal Time
    1. Tilapia
    2. Veggies

Snacks
    1. everything bagel pretzles
    2. Spicy mustard (super spicy, so you don't munch out too bad on those pretzles) :)

(also, add brown rice to your Meal time list. I know you only asked for two, but I'm a rebel).
    (and while I am at it, add greek yogurt to your snack list)

;)

MElis
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Meal time
    1.Chicken breasts or fresh Salmon fillets.
    2. Veggies

Snacks
    1. Trail Mix
    2. Fruit
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Mealtimes:

1) Rice Noodles
    2) Vegetables (zucchini, carrots, beetroot, cabbage, chillis, ginger, garlic, onions, snow peas/ mange tout, spinach)

Snacks

1) Low fat, low sugar yoghurt (i.e. Nestle Diet)
    2) Cereal (i.e. Special K, untoasted muesli)
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    There's so many staples but I won't bore you with the whole list.. here's some of the things I buy weekly.

Chicken breast
    Fish fillets (tilapia, salmon, whatever's on sale & looks good)
    Frozen veggie mixes (the steambag variety that you just have to pop in the microwave)

Greek Yogurt
    Blueberries
    Baby carrots
    Hummus

Hope this helps!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Chicken Breast / tuna
    fruits/ veg

Yogurt
    frozen fruit blend with yogurt a wonderful anytime treat

stay to the outsides of the store all the best foods are there. But put your hands in front of your face as you pass the bakery!!! very bad things happen in that part of the store its evil
  • Fineraziel
    Fineraziel Posts: 140
    Options
    Im pretty new at "eating healthy" me too and Im still far from perfect. Every week, I buy these for my meals and snacks, because they are easy/not-too-bad choices :

Meals :
    - roasted chicken (from the grocery)
    - fish (salmon, trout...)
    - extra-lean ground beef (because most of the recipes I know need ground beef...)
    - whole-wheat bread / pasta / brown rice
    - fresh veggies + veggies in the freezer
    - WATER! (if you cant drink water from the sink, maybe you should try bottled water... well worth the money!)

Snacks:
    - baby carrots
    - yogourts
    - low fat/high fiber cookies or granola bars
    - fruits
  • Bryce58
    Bryce58 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to shop by strolling around the grocery store and grabbing whatever appealed. As a result, I ate a lot of crap. Now my approach is:
    Be prepared to cook - a lot; don't rely on convenience foods.
    Plan your meals for the week , then do your shopping.
    There are plenty of sites you can Google for weight loss meal/snack suggestions.
    Actively learn about healthy nutrition for yourself; don't just randomly pick ideas put in front of you.
  • blackfitnessbarbie
    blackfitnessbarbie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    meal time:
    1. fat free turkey breast meat on an arnold 100% whole wheat sandwich thin
    2. campbell's chicken noodle soup

snacks
    1. granny smith apples w/ jif natural creamy peanut butter
    2. dare brenton crackers-whole wheat

-i have so many others! (: I LOVE oranges & apples
    -kashi go lean crunch with skim milk! YUM!

Good luck, you've got some amazing suggestions going on right here! (:
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    K I will make this super easy for you..... Do not shop in an aisle.. If its not on the outside perimeter of the store then you dont need it. All of the fresh and healthy stuff for you is not in an aisle. Well minus my V8 fusion which is awesome... do not buy V8 Splash...its bad!!

Try shopping like this and more than likely you will be in good shape.
  • o2bfit3
    o2bfit3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Get a roasted chicken from the deli- may eat for days.

Fruit-any kind. Have a lot around for snacking

I love baby carrots. Must have them around each day.

oh- and the advice to shop on the perimeter of the store- do that! It works.
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1. salmon or chicken
    2. vegetables (lettuce, peppers, cukes, celery, carrots, tomatoes, spinach, red cabbage, onion)

1. tangerines, apples, strawberries
    2. almonds