Anyone else a calorie hoarder?

Options
So... I am, admittedly, a calorie hoarder. I eat sparingly through the day to pace myself because I am always afraid I will end up running out of calories. The crazy thing is sometimes I find I'm ending up with too many left over that I should have consumed! I think this stems from when I first started using MFP and recording my intake. In the beginning I set my profile to lose 2lbs/week. If I knew then what I know now I would never have attempted that but at the time all I could think of was that I wanted this fat off of me and I want it off NOW! LOL. So with a sudden and significant restriction of my intake to only 1200cal/day, I felt very hungry all the time at first. Several nights I awakened with hunger pains. The first couple of weeks was miserable. Over time my body adjusted and I learned to choose food wisely so that I was eating stuff that would give me the most 'fullness' for the least amount of calories. I also learned to be a calorie hoarder, to save calories for the end of the day so I could eat a filling dinner and have a snack before bed. I think I was traumatized by those nights I felt like I was starving. I have learned a lot since then. I have lost the weight and increased my intake at this point. I don't care what people say about not eating late in the evenings... I do it every night! I vowed I'd never go to bed hungry again!!

So... anyone else do this or is it just me? LOL

Replies

• LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh ya, I find myself doing that. I actually ended up with 1800 calories left over at the end of today. But I'm not hungry so I don't plan on eating them.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i deff do that... my family & bf tend to eat out constantly, so there is often a chance i'll be eating out instead of making myself something for dinner & if i don't save myself at least 600 calories, then i won't be able to eat much anywhere :o/ but i also tend to save mine for when i have a bad intake day or for girls nights so my overall intake evens itself out to still be about as deficient as it needs to be so i'll still see results. i don't really have the problem of being hungry on 1200 cals though, unless it is near my TOM... & then i want to eat EVERYTHING baha
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It helps to plan your day in advance. That way you won't run out or end up having too many left over.
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    only days certain days
    like if i'm gonna have tacos i save my calories
    if im gonna have fish (like today) i basically dont worry about it
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I used to be really bad with that I'd save hundreds for night, now oi try to space them out all day but I still make sure to have enough for a night time treat.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing, quite often. I try to plan the best I can but I find myself with a bunch of calories at the end of the day and not quite sure what to do with them. Today, I fell asleep around 5 and didn't wake up till 9 and really didn't want to eat that late, but I had 800 calories left AND was hungry, so I ate! Somedays, if I'm not hungry then I don't worry about it.
  • nuimproved
    nuimproved Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've definitely found myself doing this too. Not so much out of fear of running out of calories however. One of my biggest challenges is avoiding mindless eating in the evenings--so I typically have a larger dinner and a small snack with an aim to stop eating by 8PM (which is about 2 hours before I usually head to bed). So far so good but sometimes I do find I still have calories left at the end of the day.
  • mommybear0922
    mommybear0922 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yup, I do it too. I just joined MFP, and all day today, I was afraid I would use up all my calories before dinner! lol. So I ate way too sparingly, and ended up being almost 300 calories under my 1200 cals/day limit. Thankfully, I'm not hungry, so I don't plan on eating anything else tonight.
  • Disneymaniac
    Options
    I recently too started doing this as well. I noticed that it is helpful for special events (like going out to dinner with DH or family birthday's). I will also calculate calories burned from my workouts to make sure I'm at or about 1200 calories a day.
  • sensiblejeans
    Options
    I'm also trying to eat 1200 calories per day, and I tend to eat about 2/3 of those calories at dinner time. To be honest, a "normal" dinner is something I really look forward to every day and it really motivates me throughout the day. Plus, I can eat the same food as my family or whomever I am dining with, at home or out at restaurants, which makes my life and dieting so much easier. I don't, however, usually have many calories left at the end of the day!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time! :) Pretty much every day. I tend to save all my calories so I can have a larger dinner...Or at least, I used to! For some reason, my eating habits have completely changed in the past two weeks. I suddenly started eating huge amounts for breakfast and small dinners. Now I just hoard my calories for chocolate and ice-cream as an afternoon snack because the sweet tooth has yet to suddenly disappear too.
  • steffilily
    steffilily Posts: 149
    Options
    I've always liked to eat more in the evenings. I know you're supposed to eat big for breakfast, then bit smaller for lunch and have light dinner. I did the opposite while staying within my goal and still lose weight each week.
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    yer I quite often do it. I usually use nabout 400-600 for my evening meal but seem to have at least 400 let after tea. I need to plan my whole day so this doesnt happen. Sometimes I notice the huge amount let so eill have steak for tea which takes up a lot of cals. But if I am not hungry I dont eat them.
    I guess as my cal allowance goes down I will fit in better to my current schedule
  • rjcode6
    rjcode6 Posts: 15
    Options
    Wow! You are amazing! You've lost 121 pounds so you are defenitely doing something right. Thank you for the motivation.
  • mboone4541
    mboone4541 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes me too. I think it is just my personality. But since I work out in the morning, I think it is especially bad. I am trying to do a better job of refueling right after the workout.