Having trouble hitting calorie goal...

riebees89
riebees89 Posts: 16
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I don't know if it's just me, but I am having a really hard time hitting 1,200 calories a day, let alone the 15something I am supposed to be eating. I am working out really hard, and eating healthier and watching portion sizes, but I know that if you don't eat enough results will be harder to get. I just don't like eating at night after dinner just to get to 1200, but i don't wanna put my body in harm in any way. any ideas?

Replies

• Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Add in a cup of pasta/rice/bread. Snack on nuts, almonds are loaded with calories.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Can't really relate - I've got half those calories put away by breakfast! :) Are you eating three meals a day?
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    1/4 cup mixed nuts is like which eating as a night snack is easy to do and gives you 360 Calories
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Try to plan your days in advance, that will help ensure you make your calorie goal.
  • misty1208
    misty1208 Posts: 90
    Im with Rubie... snack on some nuts! :)
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    If you snack in small portions more often, it will boost your caloric intake.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    you wont put your body in harm. if you are talking about starvation mode..its a myth. do your research. i have. if you dont feel like eating that much..dont..that will be what harms you more than anything. eating too much beyond what your body tells you to will make you feel bloated and tired. it takes energy to digest food.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    What I do is to plan out the next days meals the night before. I go into my food diary and add it all in. That way, if I'm under, I know to plan some extra snacks. And if I'm over, well... I know I have to work a little harder that day. Plus, there's no stress or trying to figure out 'what am I having for _____?' because I already got it all figured out. :)
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    And starvation mode is NOT a myth... if you aren't getting enough calories your metabolism slows and your body stores EVERYTHING you eat. Look it up on Wiki... there are a lot of high calorie foods that can boost your calories without making you feel like you're eating a ton (like the nuts everyone keeps suggesting), so just snack on those if you're short.
  • riebees89
    riebees89 Posts: 16
    i am eating three meals a day, but i tend to be kinda careful with my calories before dinner...but i think planning meals ahead of time and adding more snacks might save my late night scramble for calories, even though I am rarely hungry..
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Maybe try and divide your food intake into 6 "meals" a day because when you train your body to eat that way it will be hungry and you can eat higher calorie smaller snacks. I wish I had your problem =) I keep going over. haha
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Just a quick thought on the topic of nuts. Yes, they are a great way to boost your caloric intake and they do have a lot of nutritional benefits. However, if you go this route I suggest you stick to raw almonds or other nuts/seeds without added oil and salt. You can get bulk raw seeds and nuts at most conventional grocery stores and almost all health food stores or co-ops. Many packaged nuts and seeds have a lot of added oil and salt and are outrageously priced compared to bulk items.

On the subject of just not getting enough calories or feeling too full to eat more at the end of the day. I know it is difficult to make an additional change to your diet, but if you have not been eating early in the day you might give it a shot. I was having trouble getting to 1200 calories until I started eating breakfast, which I had never done with any regularity.

You are going to get a lot of conflicting information about "starvation mode". The unfortunate truth is that calorie restriction works differently for different people. There is no template that applies to everyone. There are people who stick to 1200 calories and sometimes a little above or below who lose weight and are healthy. There are others who need to eat more to maintain their health and before the weight will budge. However, severe calorie restriction can be very dangerous and counter productive, especially when coupled with exercise. You need to find a HEALTHY way that works for you.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    When I first started on MFP, I asked the same question about eating clean but not enough calories. It was doing my head in because I was working out hard but I simply couldn't eat enough to meet my 1200 allowance. I snacked on nuts, added full fat mayonnaise, used olive oil, etc. But honestly, I was just really working out more, walking more and I finally said to screw it, I'm not going to focus so much on meeting my 1200 but I focused on not exceed my 1200. I don't eat back most of my exercise calories on most days and I'm never starving and I'm rarely hitting 1200. Result: I'm still losing weight, appx 1-2lb a week and I feel better because I'm not going crazy on 'not eating enough'.

I say listen to your body. If you're hungry, eat, healthy stuff of course, if you're not, don't eat. Most nights I don't eat after 8pm but if I'm actually hungry, I'll have a teaspoon of peanut butter and I feel fine.

Don't let the 1200kcal a day and calorie counting thing stress you out cuz it might be counter effective. It was with me...
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    have a slice of wholemeal toast with 15g hummus at breakfast, or mid morning (extra to whatever you're having then)
  • I added in some yogurt and those granola bars because I was having the same issue .. Nuts are a good idea too just afraid I would eat too many I like peanuts hehe
This discussion has been closed.