Too much fibre?

Options
Is it bad to have too much fibre? I seem to be going over by 10-20 g per day. I get my fibre from fibre 1 cereal, high protein pita, fruits and veggies. I dont eat white stuff(bread, rice, pasta etc).
I am not sure if it is too much of a good thing.

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think the fiber goal on MFP is low, personally. I wouldn't worry about going over in the amount that you are now.
  • lilcowbell
    Options
    I agree - I wouldn't worry about it. I go over in fiber every day. I don't eat the "white" stuff either and eat lots of fruits and veggies. It's gotta be a good thing, right?
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    I agree, i think the auto goal is way too low and i have customized mine to be much higher. I don't think you can have to much as i've heard numbers recommended as high as 55-60 grams!!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    MFP is very low on it's Fiber.... you are suppose to get about 28g of Fiber daily...
  • eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just read in a health magazine that too much fiber will not hurt you. You might be a little uncomfortable with going to the bathroom a lot more or having "gassy" situations, but it does not hurt!
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Fibre is a great way to lose weight. What does fibre do - makes us poop/eliminate/clear out our bowels. Many of us are likely carrying around an extra couple of pounds worth of poop.

I'm 4 months away from being done school and being a certified Holistic Nutritionist, and I can tell you that the recomended amount of daily fibre intake should be 30-35grams a day. So 28 is not high at all, keep eating your fibre!
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    as long as your belly isn't bothering you, I wouldn't worry about it. Yes. the MFP site has it set quite low. 10-20 more seems right about what you should be eating. If it starts to bother your belly ie diarrhea, abdominal ramps, you can try peeling the fruits and vegetables, and this will help reduce the fiber intake a bit.
    http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/nutrition/fiber/overview.html
  • exp_lauren
    exp_lauren Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've read that 30-35 grams of fibre per day is great, so no worries about going over MPF's default value. Keep up your water/liquids at the same time to keep everything moving.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 30-40g/ day on a 1600 calorie diet. Fiber is good for you. Good for bowel health, feeling satiated and if you are getting lots it's a good indicator that you are eating a healthy diet. Just remember to drink lots of water to help flush it through your system.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Change the number to what you want.
    I have mine set at 25 and aim to turn it "red" every day.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a good thing to go over in. Just make sure you are drinking a lot of water too so 'things' don't backup. Water keeps everything moving like it should.