Peanut Butter Madness

Options
bopeep91
bopeep91 Posts: 15 Member
I am in love with Peanut butter.. It is a central source of protein for me and I eat way too much of it! I am getting way to much fat in my diet everyday because I can't stop at 1 tbsp. Does anyone have this problem too? Is there a better alternative to pb that is as easy as it is?

Thanks!

Replies

• backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you're vegetarian??

The best sources of protein are obviously meats (in particular certain poultry like turkey and chicken) & fish.

Legumes are a decent source of protein for vegetarians.
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    I try to avoid having peanut butter in my house because I'm a compete addict! haha
    Have you tried PB2? It's powdered peanut butter, and instead of being around 200 cals per 2 Tbsp, it's more like 45. It doesn't taste exactly the same (and doesn't have the same consistency) but it's definitely easier on the calories and if you put it in a pb&j sandwich you can't really notice the difference. I buy it at HyVee in the Health Market section.
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    I tried Almond butter the other day. Tastes almost as good. Great if you like creamy crunchy nuttyness lol. I think its lower in fat and cals. I try to mix and match.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of cottage cheese. And morningstar products but the sodium content is not the best.
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Justin's Organic Peanut Butter comes in 2 tbsp packs! They help me
  • NotaNikki
    NotaNikki Posts: 40
    Options
    Oh peanut butter. It's basically like a gateway drug for me. I recommend buying it in little packs if you have no self control like me. Or try PB2.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do peanut butter, you have to do it right: Skippy's Super Chunk (with 25% less fat). I don't find it too hard to stick to the two tablespoons and I eat it 4+ times a week easily.

Just had some right now, as a matter of fact.
    -wtk
  • lbb_gasser
    Options
    I also *heart* peanut butter. I have switched it to a *desert* in my head so I can still enjoy it, but only on special occasions. When I need a quick and easy snack, I eat "sweet and salty" almond chewy granola bars. They have the nutty & sweet flavor without all the fat. Good luck!
  • lbb_gasser
    Options
    Oh peanut butter. It's basically like a gateway drug for me. I recommend buying it in little packs if you have no self control like me. Or try PB2.

LOL!
  • twilightchica
    twilightchica Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    oh my peanut butter has killed my diet many times over! that and honey roasted peanuts smh. i just stay away because i lose my damn mind and eat half the jar at a time!
  • bopeep91
    bopeep91 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! I will have to try the PB2 and Justin's Organic PB is absolutely delicious! I loved the maple when when I tried it!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Here's a great (and healthy/low cal) recipe I made last night with peanut butter, thought I'd share!!! :) And it's in the database!

Eating Well.Com Recipe - Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry With Peanut Sauce....add some lime before eating...delish!!!
  • chelle1a
    chelle1a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Love peanut butter. I eat it almost everyday. I'm gonna try some of the alternatives mentioned on here. Good Luck to you and me both :happy:
  • wanttobelittle
    Options
    Try eating things like granola bars that are peanut butter flavored. I am addicted to peanut butter and realized I can't stop eating it out of the jar either...it's still satisfying and you have better control when the peanut butter isn't eaten alone. I've tried everything...peanut butter flavored granola bars, peanut butter granola thins, on apples, pretzels, or even on toast. It's less addicting that way but still so good!
  • lareyna124
    Options
    Try eating fresh peanut butter from a whole food place. They make it on the spot, so it has less peanut oil and salt. It doesnt taste AS good as skippy or jif but that's what makes it easier for me to stop at One tablespoon.:)
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Seems to me the only logical solution is to find a secondary source of protein that is just as convenient, tasty, cheap and filling as peanut butter yet has less fat. Too, you might consider getting a handle on your addiction. I know, I know - easier said than done lol! (I love peanut butter too!)

Alternative vegetarian protein sources include bee pollen, royal jelly, brewer's yeast, green leafy vegetables, sprouted greens, grains & beans, spinach, kale, broccoli, sprouted wild rice, carob, cacao, oats, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, sprouted wheat, sprouted buckwheat, sprouted barley, sprouted millet, sprouted quinoa, sprouted soya beans, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts, hemp seeds, hemp protein powder, mung beans, lentils, aduki, chickpeas, spirulina, alfalfa, maca, amaranth, brown rice, tofu, tempa, textured vegetable protein (TVP) soy chunks, eggs, miso, cottage cheese, yogurt, paneer, Yves veggie products, protein powders, and Vega products.

Vegans can eat all of the above except bee pollen, royal jelly, eggs, cottage cheese, paneer, yogurt & whey protein powders.
  • ItsmeLauraB
    Options
    Try making your own home-made peanut butter. Then you can control the calorie count and amount. I use plain ol' salted peanuts and my Bamix to chop and puree to the consistency I like. If you're making a larger amount, you may need to add a tiny bit of vegetable oil. I don't usually need it. Try using almonds or cashews, just watch the calories. It's great on toast for breakfast...Good Luck!
  • rdaraz
    rdaraz Posts: 103
    Options
    i can not LIVE without peanut butter. seriously. i can eat the whole jar in one sitting. :/
  • sherry2626
    sherry2626 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm a Jif Girl!!!! Love it!! Now I have started getting the Reduced Fat. But there is another as well called Simply Jif. Never tried it But I hear its good. I love the Low cal bread its 35 calories a Slice with a table spoon of peanut butter Amazing Snack ;)