Should people take "recovery" time from exercise??

Options
I workout with hard cardio (TurboFire) 6 days per week. I have been waking lately with very sore knees and tired feeling hamstrings/quads. I wonder, would it be beneficial to take a week off and rest everything every once in awhile?

Replies

• kpower1983
    kpower1983 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Been wondering the same thing, any help out there?
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I've done two rounds of Turbo Fire and then did it along with some other DVD's for the last 8 months. Two weeks ago I was so exhausted and my legs hurt all the way to the bone (seriously!). I took last week off, rested and did some light stretching. I felt like a new person at the beginning of last week. I do think you need a break and you need to listen to your body.

I've decided I'm going to take a week off about every three months.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I am taking a day off today. I think it is important to listen to your body. Taking a day off here and there will not hurt you in the long run, where as a an injury can sideline you for weeks!

edited to add: I was thinking about how we build muscle . . . it involves both breaking down the tissues and then repairing of the tissues, so I do believe rest days are in order!
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    From every sport i'be played and thing i've read, its best to give your body moderate rest between workouts. You can work out every day, but it's best to do different areas like targeting arms one day and doing legs the next, etc. While working out every day really hard will give you results, remember-you can't work out once you're injured!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think I would die without at least a rest day every week. I did about 10 days in a row at the gym, and was so tired and sore after that!
    I agree with the previous poster, you should listen to your body, and make sure you give it enough time to rest and recover, otherwise you could get injured, and be out of commission for longer than you'd like.
    So sleep in, take a break, do some stretches and hang out for a day or two. You'll probably feel better, and be even more energized once you get started again!
  • missyjmet
    missyjmet Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    yes! I incorporate at least 1 rest day a week where I do NO exercise. Right now I'm training for triathlons (1st one of the season in May), and I usually take at least 4-5 days off after a race. If your knees/hamstrings/quads are sore, maybe do some non-impact activities (you will still get your calorie burn on, but less stress on your joints). I recommend swimming, pilates, yoga, spinning, etc.

Hope this helps!
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    It might work out better for you to build in more rest days in your schedule, rather than stopping for a whole week (unless, obviously, you are in a lot of pain in which case you should rest until you are recovered). For example, cardio two days, day off, cardio two days, two days off, then start over. The same is definitely true for weight lifting - you should ALWAYS give your muscles a rest and not work the same set two consecutive days running.

Here's my routine, which seems to keep me moving but not worn out:

Monday - cardio
    Tuesday - weights (chest & triceps)
    Wednesday - cardio
    Thursday - weights (legs & biceps)
    Friday - cardio
    Saturday - rest day
    Sunday - weights (shoulders & back) plus a long walk.

The weight days give me a rest from the cardio and vice-versa.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I run, but only 3-4 times per week. I do exercise another day or two usually, but different exercises. I think it's very important to have rest days. For example, I never workout on Monday's due to working 11 hours (I'm too tired by then) and right now with church stuff on Wednesday's, I don't work out then either. So for me, I workout on Tues, Thurs, sometimes Fri, Sat, and Sun... at the most. This week I was sick on Fri and Sat, so nothing either day, but I'm going running today!

Listen to your body... take some time to rest!!
  • katiemeridien
    Options
    Honestly. Turbofire KILLS! I don't think it's the healthiest way to exercise. Why? You perform back twisting and jumping moves without knowing how to properly hold your body together. This is why you're in pain.

For those who are doing weights/cardio...
    You can do cardio every day. Rowing is the single best exercise you can do for your body, even though it apparently only burns 110 calories (it shreds your body!) The elliptical is virtually useless over time because your body gets easily adjusted to it and your entire body isn't engaged as it would be running outside.

I have Turbofire and wanted to really keep at it but I felt my back began hurting pretty badly by doing moves which weren't explained to me!
  • CodyAnne
    CodyAnne Posts: 20
    Options
    You should definitely take a rest day every week or so... or at least don't work out the same thing many days in a row. Your body knows what it needs, if you are feeling anything other than the "good workout sore" then you need a break!
  • aschultz9
    aschultz9 Posts: 89
    Options
    I run 4 days/week, and cross train/weight train 2-3 days week. If my body is sore, I will take an entire weekend off. I can't meet my running goals when my muscles are too sore to perform.
  • Phatdaddymike
    Options
    i run and lift, but ALWAYS take atleast one, maybe 2 days off a week
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have taken one day off in the past 2 months... I don't believe you need to take a rest day. What you should do is listen to your body and don't hurt yourself.

I have done TurboFire and am in the midst of doing Insanity, and my legs often feel so sore I can't move either - but that just means take a day and do some upper body weightlifting or core work. Plus, the most effective way to get over next day (as opposed to delayed onset) muscle soreness is to workout again.
  • DancingFox
    DancingFox Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I also take at least one rest day a week. As others have said, ALWAYS listen to your body. If you're in pain, sit the day out. :)
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    As I said in my first post - I work out 6 days per week - I do take ONE day off per week already - still waking up sore and aching. I am thinking I need to either take a whole week off, or, switch from Turbofire to something else - maybe just treadmill jogging and circuit training.