I know I'm going to over-eat today, should I still count?

Options
Today was my son's christening and his grandma is having a big dinner with family and friends ., I know I'm gonna over-shoot my calories but I think one day off isnt gonna hurt. Should I still count today's calories?

Replies

• MsMouseMouse
    MsMouseMouse Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes you should still count. That way you will be able to see how much you have eaten over your calories today... Then maybe bump up your exercise for the next couple of days before you weight in again. We are all going to have those days, but it is really something we should know. Knowledge is power.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Yes, count it! You'll know how you did for future reference and as a learning experience if nothing else. Have fun!!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Count them so you can come back later when tracking progress or lack thereof and see validly what was going on. I went over by 800 calories yesterday, but it's a once a year thing so big whoop, I may work out more at the gym this week or I might not.
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes! It will help you see how much you went over and give you an idea of how many calories are in some of your favorite dishes. That way, the next time you can make better decisions and still splurge. You might realize that some of the things you eat today are actually not worth going over your calories for. Enjoy your special day!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Yes count it! There's nothing wrong with a day off every once in a while, but you still need to know how many calories you're eating. I agree, bumping up your exercise for the next couple of days should help.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I would count it just to see that line at the bottom - "If you ate like this everyday, you would weigh - - - in five weeks." That'll help you get back on track for tomorrow. Well, it would me, anyway.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Personally i go against everyones advice on here and don't count these occasions. A chiristening isn't a regular occurance so i'd go and enjoy it and not bother thinking about it. Every so often your going to want to let your hair down and just enjoy yourself. Not being able to do that every so often is what turns it from being a lifestyle choice to being a diet that you don't enjoy.
  • smithalcutie
    smithalcutie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    YES DEFINETLY COUNT IT that way you can see what one day will do so that in the future you can be stronger in holding back. you can eat everything you just gotta remember portion control. sample all the foods you love don't make a huge plate of everything
  • myrabarlow
    Options
    Yes, count, but at the end of the day. Have a wonderful time and don't beat yourself up for celebrating life. What a blessed day!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Yes! Always keep yourself accountable!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I say still count and enter it on here...just don't let it get to you-its only one day -enjoy it :)
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    absolutely! be accountable for your actions regardless of the day but know that we all have those days when it's an event or something special or just a cheat day but it will help you put things into perspective later :)

congrats on the christening! :D
  • Need4Empathy
    Need4Empathy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should count everything you eat.
    It's a slippery slope and seeing in black and white what we've actually consumed at celebrations and special events can bring us back to reality and remind us of why we began tracking our consumption in the first place! Best wishes as you navigate these hurdles to healthiness!
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    I would still count it and try to throw in a half hour of areobic work out to earn some extra calories ;)
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I would count it because it’s a day just like any other day. The food and the occasion may be unusual, but it is still just one day in your life. One where you can still make choices about what to eat and what not to eat. And regardless of what you choose, you can feel good about those choices because you did it consciously, while honoring your plan. And yes, going over calories today may be within that plan, and there is NOTHING wrong with that. Therefore there is nothing wrong with logging it. It’s information. It’s data. Just record keeping. It’s not something we do only when we’re going to get an A. That’s perfectionist thinking. It’s something we do because tracking calories is our method for losing weight. It’s not punishment to log. It’s just what we do.
  • torrtorrr
    torrtorrr Posts: 33
    Options
    one day off won't hurt, but definitely still keep track. it may surprise you how much you do go over, and then you will limit your portion sizes when you actually realize the AMOUNT your eating. have fun at the christening!
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Let yourself go and enjoy this celebration of life, but definately keep track. As others have said, knowledge is power. Knowing and being aware of what you eat in a given situation is what makes the difference between a healthy lifestyle and an unhealthy one.

In one week I leave on a 8 day road trip to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon with my wife and 3 adult children. I KNOW I am going to party, and I KNOW I am going to eat. But it is vacation, I am not going to deny myself. I am however going to keep track of everything. No guilt, just record keeping. This will help me make better choices throughout the week on exercise and portion sizes.

So the number is red on my end of day summary, I don't punish myself, I just ask myself "Did this day add pleasure and meaning to my life? Was it worth the cost?" and if the answer is yes, then I am winning.
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I say track it, but don't worry about it. Make an estimate and just enter the estimated calories. As someone else said, it's just data.

I find it useful to look at the weekly report. I had a day last week when I went over by a LOT (for a special occasion). My regular net calories are 1440, and over the course of the week, I was under a few days. By the end of the week, my average for the week was only over about 50 calories/day. Not bad in the long run, and certainly better than when I was eating seconds of every dinner and cookies every night LOL.
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    Count it, but don't freak out if you have gone over by a lot. This will allow you to look at net calorie for the whole week and if you have gone under your calorie goal a few days it may just even out over the week to not be a difference.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I always count my calories. I also like to keep track of my activities during the day. If I stand, move, walk, run, and am just a bit more active it helps me feel a little better about those special indulgences.

Blessings! I hope you and yours have a great day!