How many carbs do they say you should stay within per day?

Options
How many carbs should you have a day? Whats the average/normal right for basically anyone?

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Carbs usually make up between 50-55% of someone's total calorie goal.
  • kanakike8
    kanakike8 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to edit your daily food diary settings to make sure it includes carbs. The numbers seem to change every few months. I've heard anywhere between 20-60% of your daily diet
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and my dietitian recommends 30 g of carbs per meal and 15g per snack for a total of a 120g per day.
  • TwilaG
    TwilaG Posts: 134
    Options
    This is a direct quote from a "Nutrition Guidelines for Good Health" my dietician gave me. "Include 3 - 4 servings per meal and1 -2 at planned snack times."
    A serving is equal to 15 grams of carbohydrates. I am also a type 2 diabetic.
  • TwilaG
    TwilaG Posts: 134
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and my dietitian recommends 30 g of carbs per meal and 15g per snack for a total of a 120g per day.

I may try to step my carbs down a bit. I have noticed your sugars are really good.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    There is no daily requirement for carbs. You could live a long healthy life with zero carb intake. After the first week or 10 days, the body even adjusts to lack of fiber. Of course, all the healthy minerals and vitamins found in fruits and veggies are important, but unlike protein and fat - without which, you will die; carbs can be eliminated completely.

Personally, I eat no more than 30g of carbs a day for 6 days a week, then I'll carb up for one day - aiming for 500g. This is done in order to stop the use of proteins/muscle for energy while staying in fat burning mode. With no carbs, the body will search other places for energy - and fat (both dietary and body) is the first place it turns. The dietary plan I follow is called The Anabolic Diet and is a fantastic read if you're curious about it. I've never been happier with my results before.

Steve
    KnightFit.com
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    This is a direct quote from a "Nutrition Guidelines for Good Health" my dietician gave me. "Include 3 - 4 servings per meal and1 -2 at planned snack times."
    A serving is equal to 15 grams of carbohydrates. I am also a type 2 diabetic.

That is ridiculously high for someone that is Diabetic. They really need to get with the new research and change with the current research.

The dietician and Endocrinologist I saw said no more than 20 grams of carbs per day until I got off the meds, then gradually upped my carbs a bit.

I am still medication free.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm a Type 2 Diabetic in "maintenance mode." My doctor's words...not mine. I'm in normal ranges again...WITHOUT doing low carb!

TwilaG's response is exactly what I was told and have been doing since day 1. 45-60 grams carbs/meal. Mine aren't always that, except the meal before my workout. I will get around 55-60 for that.

Snacks about 15 grams.

Not everyone is into low, low carb. I seem to be just fine with where I am on my intake.
    There is a difference between GOOD carbs and BAD carbs. If you're doing good ones, not really an issue.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    How many carbs should you have a day? Whats the average/normal right for basically anyone?

My dr. says not more than 250 per day for me and right now, she has me on a 1800-2000 calorie diet
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Sorry the site was glitchy this morning see above for response.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm a Type 2 Diabetic in "maintenance mode." My doctor's words...not mine. I'm in normal ranges again...WITHOUT doing low carb!

TwilaG's response is exactly what I was told and have been doing since day 1. 45-60 grams carbs/meal. Mine aren't always that, except the meal before my workout. I will get around 55-60 for that.

Snacks about 15 grams.

Not everyone is into low, low carb. I seem to be just fine with where I am on my intake.
    There is a difference between GOOD carbs and BAD carbs. If you're doing good ones, not really an issue.

There is research now days to show that Type 2 Diabetics that eat grain heavy products are still damaging their bodies even though their sugars are in "normal" range.

The dietician I went to see and my Endocrinologist who also has a degree in Holistic Nutrition worked with me to severly limit grains and dairy.

I took it a step further on my own and eliminated almost all grains, most dairy, beans and legumes.

Yes, good carbs include Vegetables, some fruits, amarneth, millet, gluten free oats (most oats are contaminated with gluten), basmatti rice and some other gluten free grains.

Bad carbs - Any wheat, barley, rye, etc - gluten containing grains, sugar, HFCS, etc.............

The amout of carbs you are eating in one meal I don't even eat that many in 1 days time.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Agreed that low carb doesn't work for everyone - everyone doesn't need to be on low carb. However, there really isn't a difference between good carb and bad carb. Are you saying that simple carbs are good and complex are bad? Or the other way? It's not that simple. There is a difference between natural food and processed, man-made crap, but I wouldn't break it down to good carb vs. bad carb. More like good (natural) food vs. pretend food.

So how, exactly, does the body process carbs and sugar? All carbohydrates are broken down into simple sugars, which are absorbed into the bloodstream. As the sugar level rises, the pancreas releases the hormone insulin, which is needed to move sugar from the blood into the cells, where the sugar can be used as energy. You don't need to rely on sugar for energy - but most people who aren't on an extremely low carb diet do. Excess sugar is stored as fat.

All my clients how are type 2 are on an extremely restricted carb intake 6 days a week and have shown amazing results thanks to it.