HRM, calories burned ?

Options
MissAnjy
MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
a question for all of you working out with an HRM & knowing an accurate calorie burn. When do you power down your HRM? I eat back my exercise calories first off. Secondly, i do intervals on my treadmill which is supposed to burn more calories after your workout etc... however, when I'm done my 45 minutes of intervals, i shut off my HRM and log that calorie burn.

But, what about what i'm burning in the next 30 minutes? It's MORE than what i'm burning just by "living" because of the intervals and the spikes in my HR etc, however, i'm not accounting for that.

What do you do about that!?

Replies

• sdhorne
    sdhorne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You should log your entire workout, even when interval training.
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I shut my HRM off right as soon as I'm done working out, and just consider whatever "afterburn" I have as a little bonus :) It's kinda like having insurance :P
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I turn off my HRM once my HR has slowed to the 90s. Whatever I may burn in the next 30 minutes isn't something I need to worry about really....just my opinion really and the advice I received from appointments with health professionals.
  • dodoodoodo
    dodoodoodo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i don't count that "after burn" i turn my HRM off right after workout and log that and then whatever comes after is just extra in my opinion :)
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Before I begin: I'm not an expert, just sharing what I've learned along the way.

When you do intervals (and weight training too) your RMR is elevated for up to 24hrs after you work out so there's no way you could calculate the extra calories your body burns after your work out as a result of the intervals (unless you lived with your HRM on :laugh: ).

I think if you just log the calorie burn for the amount of time you exercise you should be fine.

All the best :-)
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    i always wait until it goes down to the low 90s (93 or 94) and then shut it off :]
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Before I begin: I'm not an expert, just sharing what I've learned along the way.

When you do intervals (and weight training too) your RMR is elevated for up to 24hrs after you work out so there's no way you could calculate the extra calories your body burns after your work out as a result of the intervals (unless you lived with your HRM on :laugh: ).

I think if you just log the calorie burn for the amount of time you exercise you should be fine.

All the best :-)

This must be why the next day I work out, it doesn't take so long to get up higher, than if I didn't work out for two day?
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your responses :)
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    i have always turn it off as sone as i say i'm done. i know but it works for me. i start it when i step in to the gym and turn it off when i say i am done or right after the cool down time.