burn more calories while you clean house

Options
i found this article. i thought it was interesting. i think i will give it a shot because i hate cleaning. i need motavation to make it more fun. maybe this will help someone else too.

How to Do Housework and Burn Calories
By an eHow Contributor
You set up a schedule for yourself to work out at the gym 5 times a week, at least. You have found, however, that you can only make it to the gym 3 times a week. There is no reason to think that just because you don't have equipment at your house that you can't burn calories. There is always housework, and you can burn calories while you clean.
.Difficulty: Moderate
Instructions.1
Add some exercise moves to your laundry routine. As you carry the basket to the laundry room, do some lunges. And, while you are folding clothes, you can do butt clenches or calf raises to help boost muscle and burn calories while doing housework.

Do a little dance while vacuuming. Vacuuming burns about 120 calories in half an hour, but if you shake your rump, do the cha cha or do ballet warm up moves while vacuuming you can boost the number of calories you burn while doing housework.

Wear ankle weights and wrist weights while sweeping or scrubbing the floors. These activities alone burn around 120 calories in half an hour, but if you add the weights to your housework you can burn more calories.

Jog in place while washing the dishes. Doing the dishes themselves burns calories, but you can burn over 250 more calories doing this bit of housework if you jog in place for a solid 30 minutes.

Keep your windows clean. By doing this chore alone, for a full hour, you can burn around 180 calories.

Walk briskly up and down the stairs as you do housework to burn calories. For one full hour, walking up and down the stairs can burn over 500 calories. This can easily make up for missing a session at the gym.

Read more: How to Do Housework and Burn Calories | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2317628_do-housework-burn-calories.html#ixzz1GW6CANpr

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    interesting thanks :smile:
  • MarriedMama
    Options
    Thank you for these tips :-)
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    Awesome, I'm going to try some of these. Thanks for sharing.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    Dang! 120 calories for vacuuming? I'm gonna go break out my vacuum right now!! :)
  • chasingskinny
    Options
    I can see me doing the cha-cha while vacuuming and even wearing ankle weights while sweeping. But if I had to look forward to jogging in place while doing dishes, I'd avoid dishes even more than I already do. Then when it couldn't be avoided any longer, I'd break them all while jogging with soapy hands! Interesting ideas, but perhaps not the most practical for us clumsy gals...
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas, but if I jog while washing the dishes I will break stuff.
  • Cassienz
    Cassienz Posts: 75
    Options
    I need to vacuum the house every day! LOL
  • nswitch
    nswitch Posts: 2
    Options
    that is very interesting, thanks for sharing.........gonna try some of those
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Hah! Antigone and I had the same thought.
  • better_days_ahead
    better_days_ahead Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm coordinated enough to run and do the dishes at the same time :laugh:

As far as the other ones, I can definately do...
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Great information!