Calling all vegetarians

Options
I am new to being a vegetarian only about 2 weeks now. And I need some good ways to bump up my protein level. I am scared to try tofu. What would you suggest I do??

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Tofu is just processed soy beans. In fact, any soy bean will give you a nice bump in the protein and fiber department. In fact, I just made a veggie lasagna with 19 g of protein and 10 g of fiber. And it tastes and smells delicious!
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    I am new to being a vegetarian only about 2 weeks now. And I need some good ways to bump up my protein level. I am scared to try tofu. What would you suggest I do??

Good sources of protein: quinoa, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, hemp oil, flax seed (grind the flax before using it), non-fat Greek yogurt, non-fat cottage cheese, egg whites, part skim mozarella.
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    Tofu is just processed soy beans. In fact, any soy bean will give you a nice bump in the protein and fiber department. In fact, I just made a veggie lasagna with 19 g of protein and 10 g of fiber. And it tastes and smells delicious!

can you give me the recipe?
  • h653uv
    h653uv Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello there I have been a vegetarian for about 10 years and I feel so much better both physically and mentally. Try Baked Tofu. Get firm tofu, drain and cut into strips about 1/4 inch. Baste with BBQ sauce and bake on a sprayed cookie sheet at 350 for about 45 minutes. You can cook to your liking whether you like it crunchy or chewy. DELICIOUS!!! Good for you for trying a healthier way of life
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options

Good sources of protein: quinoa, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, hemp oil, flax seed (grind the flax before using it), non-fat Greek yogurt, non-fat cottage cheese, egg whites, part skim mozarella.

I do eat beans and lentils and nuts....I dont want to add more nuts because of the high fat content. I make sure my breads and things all are flax breads. I do not like greek yogurt can gag it down if i have too but for the amount it costs its harder lol and I dont eat cheese. I do add some egg whites to my salad.
    My mother bought some quinoa the other day for me the other day I havent tried it yet because i have been sick but I am gonna try it tomorrow!!!! Does hemp oil come in pill form?? lol
  • 4alison4
    4alison4 Posts: 54
    Options
    If you aren't big on cooking (like me!), I would stock up on Boca and Morningstar items (chik nuggets, patties, veg burgers, etc). I never have a problem getting enough protein and I don't even think about it. Morningstar makes some divine fake riblets. They also make what they call "crumbles", which is their meatless version of ground beef. Throw some of that in anything - tacos, spaghetti - and you're good to go!
  • Jouquetta
    Jouquetta Posts: 20
    Options
    Lentils are cheap and easy to make, yogurt is convenient but watch your sugar on the fruit ones. I also like quinoa but it can be a bit more expensive if you're in a remote area, but like rice it is very versatile and can be added to beans, salads, veggies, etc. Good luck on your vegetarian journey!
    :bigsmile:

Oh... take a multivitamin until you get it all figured out just so you're covering all the minerals & vitamins you need.
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    Hello there I have been a vegetarian for about 10 years and I feel so much better both physically and mentally. Try Baked Tofu. Get firm tofu, drain and cut into strips about 1/4 inch. Baste with BBQ sauce and bake on a sprayed cookie sheet at 350 for about 45 minutes. You can cook to your liking whether you like it crunchy or chewy. DELICIOUS!!! Good for you for trying a healthier way of life

Thanks!!! I will definatly try that!!! Yeah I read the book Skinny B**** and havent been able to touch meat since. I am basically Vegan too except I do eat products that have milk in them like FF newman owns fig newtons lol. But drink soy milk....no yogurt....no cheese...type thing. I have never felt better about my eating habits as I have since I chose to become vegetarian. Like you said....I feel better mentally and emotionally and physically. I feel like I can finally overcome my weight issues. If you can think of any other good recipes that my kids would eat as well please send them my way if you have time :)
  • lizzy755
    lizzy755 Posts: 52
    Options
    Where are you? If you're in the UK then Quorn is a great brand because it's actually got flavour! They do 'sausages', 'steaks' as well as meals that are still low-cal. If not then as the others have said, nuts, lentils, eggs etc. I find I usually manage more protein as a veggie than I would if I ate meat again!
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for five years, I don't eat tofu. As everyone mentioned there are a variety of products and foods out there that replace your protein adequately. It also pays to remember that many products have hidden animal products, such as rennet in cheese and gelatin in many sweets and things. My two vegetarian daughters are great at reading the labels on everything! Good luck :)
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    Def Boca and Morningstar products. Tofu is good too if you're into cooking. For a quick protein fix, try greek yogurt...Chobani plain non-fat yogurt packs in 18 g protein and only 100 calories.
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    If you aren't big on cooking (like me!), I would stock up on Boca and Morningstar items (chik nuggets, patties, veg burgers, etc). I never have a problem getting enough protein and I don't even think about it. Morningstar makes some divine fake riblets. They also make what they call "crumbles", which is their meatless version of ground beef. Throw some of that in anything - tacos, spaghetti - and you're good to go!

I did buy the crumbles I am trying that tomorrow with some whole wheat pasta! I am not a fan of the boca burgers but I do eat Gardenburger (black bean chipolte is to die for!) I am SO gonna try the riblets! I have tried the Chik'n nuggets even my 4 year old cant tell the difference!!
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    Lentils are cheap and easy to make, yogurt is convenient but watch your sugar on the fruit ones. I also like quinoa but it can be a bit more expensive if you're in a remote area, but like rice it is very versatile and can be added to beans, salads, veggies, etc. Good luck on your vegetarian journey!
    :bigsmile:

Oh... take a multivitamin until you get it all figured out just so you're covering all the minerals & vitamins you need.

I bought flinstone vitamins because adult ones make me feel sick lol. Also I bought B-12 vitamins. I was told that it is for sure one I need to take because I can only get it from animal muscle.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    TVP (textured vegetable protein) is awesome! Use it anyway you would use hamburger. It is low in fat and high in protein. It can be difficult to find but worth it. I have make "meatless" loaf with it, spaghetti, chili, sloppy Joes, taco's, ect.... Also any of the Morningstar farms and Boca products are nice protein substitutes. Tofu is really good because it takes on the flavor of what you are cooking. Try to press the tofu as well to give it a different texture. There are so many website's dedicated to vegetarianism that you won't be in want of recipes. Also any beans, legumes, eggs (if you are not a vegan) and nuts. It is very easy these days to be a vegetarian with all of the products available. You will learn quickly and probably won't even miss meat.
  • BackToSlim
    Options
    Lentils, legumes, etc.

The amount of protein the average human needs has been overrated. Unless you are a hunter/gatherer of our nomadic ancestor types with the fear of ice age, too much protein only causes cancer and kidney disease.

We are generations of vegetarians - my aunts, who never ate even eggs (did do dairy, though), were 5'10" and strong - completely on a vegetarian diet.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Legumes, beans, Quinoa is a source of protein which contains all the aminos. You can also add soy, or light soy milk to your diet? Just a few ideas.:bigsmile:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

Agreed. The spicy sausage crumbles are fantastic. I also eat there bacon and spicy sausage patties.
  • ana70
    ana70 Posts: 93
    Options
    I have a great morning smoothie that I put medium firm tofu in it with black berries/blueberries/apple/frozen soy beans/ and almond milk. I use a fortified almond milk that has b12 in it and calcium and iron. Hope this helps. I am new to it too.
  • meaghanls
    meaghanls Posts: 29
    Options
    TEMPEH!
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    TEMPEH!
    ????