Inexpensive running shoes?

Options
I need some advice guys!! I need some new running shoes, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for them. I've been looking into the Ryka Ultima on Zappos.com and they're like $50. Problem is... I don't want to get them and they not fit!
I decided that I was going to go to the local shop that said that they have them and try a pair on to see what size I need, and of course, I was told "Oh, we don't carry those any more!" *sigh*
So, does anyone have any reviews on less expensive running shoes? I want something comfortable, as I'm a new runner.

Thanks guys!! :-)

Replies

• 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Asic Gels I got on sale at Lady Footlocker. They were last years style and were on sale.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    body and sole (they have a website) has brooks onsale right now for about $69... i LOVE my brooks! www.bodynsolesports.com
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Sports Authority is having a sale on running shoes. You may want to check your area sporting goods stores to see what they have on sale. You should go try some on before you buy anything. It's critical that they fit well and are comfortable to you. The price won't matter a bit if you can't run in them.
  • tadaforever
    Options
    I got my new balance running shoes at a ross for something like $30. I'd recommend at least checking out a ross (or maybe a marshalls or tj maxx? I can't really vouch for them, though...)

and if they dont have anything you like, check back again in a couple of weeks :D
  • keybelle
    keybelle Posts: 15
    Options
    I have foot problems that occur from time to time so I wear the best shoe I can get. What I do, though, is go in the store and make sure I find exactly what I want (I use a NB runner with an orthotic) and make sure I get fitted to the right size. Then, I leave without getting the shoes and search for them on the net for the cheapest price. I recently got a pair through Amazon for half of what I paid for the original in the store. Shoebuy.com also is like Zappo's (which I love) but they will send you 20% off sales from time to time and they still have the free shipping both ways.

I am 54 and know that you need the best footwear you can get to avoid problems later on. There is nothing worse in the world than having searing foot pain and having to stop exercising. Wearing proper shoes all the time helps to prevent this.

Good luck!
  • RissyKissy
    RissyKissy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is get fitted for a running shoe. They factor in several things. What you could do it go to a running store and get fitted then try to find the same shoe online (of course they'd like you to buy them there but....). As someone else mentioned, the price doesnt matter if you cant use them because they are uncomfortable, cause an injury, etc. I just got fitted and now have a pair of Asics. He did mention Nike Shox are one of the worst shoes to run in so stay away from them. Hope that helps some :-)
  • nachoqtpie
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
    I currently have Nike Shox... haha! I've had them for a LONG time tho, and the back is worn completely down, even some of the PLASTIC has been worn off!
    I did go to one of our running/fitness stores here in town, Omega Sports, but, I think I'm going to go to ****s and a couple other places as well. Unfortunately, I have to wait until 01April to be able to buy any! I guess it doesn't hurt to start looking early!! :-P