Calorie Counting versus Counting the minutes @ the gym.

Options
Which do you prefer, I used to think I like counting down the minutes, but now I just think of minutes as a headache & instead enjoy counting how many calories I want to burn.

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I like calories too.. But if I'm going for like an hour doing something repetitive.... the time :)
  • khodges15
    khodges15 Posts: 114
    Options
    i feel like counting the minutes ruins my momentum and my awesome vibe that im in, so i always aim to reach a certain number of calories to burn! :)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I count reps and 30 sec intervals. I'm REALLY REALLY good at couting backwards from 30. :bigsmile: I don't care how long I spend at the gym what's important is that I get everything done as effective and efficiently as possible. I have discoverd about myself that if I break down exercises into 30 secong bites I push myself harder. I can sprint at a 6:30 mile pace for 30 seconds. I can do that 10 times. If I set out to run at that pace for 3 minutes it would never happen. I also have learned that if I focus on the intervals and push myself harder I get a bigger calorie burn too.
  • allystone
    allystone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    i feel like counting the minutes ruins my momentum and my awesome vibe that im in, so i always aim to reach a certain number of calories to burn! :)

That's the way i've started feeling as well..it feels soo much better reaching the certain number of calories. :)
  • Sarahmami
    Sarahmami Posts: 18
    Options
    I go for calories too... I think it makes me have a better outlook on the workout; instead of being like, ugh, 15 more minutes!
  • kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have my HRM set to "alarm" when it reaches 500 calories burnt. When the alarm goes off, I know my work is done and i can leave whenever I want!!