Housecleaning - Burning calories!

Options
Hi everyone - I'm looking for some input about the accuracy of burning calories in the exercise database.

It says that at my weight one hour of light to moderate cleaning = 233 cal! Is this right? I know I'm burning more on the weekend as I'm not sitting at my desk job, but if I walk a mile I only burn 100 cal... why is cleaning a higher burn???

I hate to feel like I'm cheating by entering in 233 - - lol - - I didn't really break a sweat. :-) Although, I don't want to cut myself short either... i need my energy. :)

Replies

• dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    I walked an hour today at at brisk pace and burned 323 calories. How quickly are you walking? Should still be worth more than 100 calories. Just a thought.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    depends what kind of cleaning...i mean i know when i really get into it scrubbing tubs and what not i get up a sweat...so thats exercise...
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you're "cheating the system", knock off about 50 calories from what MFP gives you. That's what I do sometimes. :happy:
  • angel2296
    angel2296 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am sure you will a get a WIDE variety of opinions on this!! My personal ideas: Depending on what exactly you are doing....housecleaning could be VERY good at burning calories or not so much. For example, I spent 3 hours picking up and cleaning my daughter's room on Friday and I am STILL sore from that. I guess all the squatting and reaching and bending?!?! I generally only log 1/2 of the actual time I spend cleaning and hope that makes up the difference.

Just my two cents. I am interested to see what others say. I just pray that everyone remains kind.

Happy Housecleaning! ; )
  • happynmontana
    happynmontana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    dababers - I was going by the mapometer site which maps your walking distance and gives you cal burned; however, after reading your post I don't think the burn is accurate. MFP gives me a higher burn, which makes sense. Thanks!
  • happynmontana
    happynmontana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great ideas guys - I will use this. Thanks for your support. :wink:
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I typically don't add in normal daily things like housecleaning,etc. When I begin landscaping, I may very well add that exercise. Cutting sod, rolling it and hauling those rolls out by hand is some of the hardest work I"ve ever done. I would say it depends on if you're washing floors on hands and knees or using a swiffer- swiffer is obviously easier. Were you "moseying" or moving quickly? All of that plays in if you're going to count it...
  • kroyalty
    kroyalty Posts: 22
    Options
    For me, I count them. I have a desk job so I am very inactive most days. The energy and calories burned for a day of good house cleaning are not a part of my daily routine so I count them because it is "above and beyond" my normal daily activity. Scrubbing, pushing, pulling, tugging, bending, squatting...are all part of house cleaning and if I go at it at a pretty good pace I think it's pretty physical activity....for me at least. :smile:
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    i dont count general cleaning as I did it all before I joined mfp and still got fat. I figure its already included in general every day living. However, if I get down on my hands and scrub the tile floor, or something else I only do infrequently, I count it as its above and beyond what I normally do.:smile: