Roadblocks on why you're not losing

Options
Hey, just found this article on MSN that pretty enlightening. Don't know how much of it is really true, or just one statistic shoved on the page to make a point, but thought you all would enjoy, especially this:

Roadblock number 6: You're shooting for a realistic size 6 instead of a near-impossible 2.

What's wrong with that? We know size 2 jeans look like they were made for a 10-year-old, but, according to a study of 1,801 people published in the International Journal of Obesity, women who set unrealistically high weight-loss goals dropped more weight in 24 months than those who kept their expectations low.

Here's the link:

http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100213228&imageindex=1

Enjoy
-Laura

Replies

• laurabelle25
    Options
    Hey, just found this article on MSN that pretty enlightening. Don't know how much of it is really true, or just one statistic shoved on the page to make a point, but thought you all would enjoy, especially this:

Roadblock number 6: You're shooting for a realistic size 6 instead of a near-impossible 2.

What's wrong with that? We know size 2 jeans look like they were made for a 10-year-old, but, according to a study of 1,801 people published in the International Journal of Obesity, women who set unrealistically high weight-loss goals dropped more weight in 24 months than those who kept their expectations low.

Here's the link:

http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100213228&imageindex=1

Enjoy
    -Laura
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Yes, but do they keep it off? Or do they give up in frustration from not being able to reach their unrealistic goals? :smile:
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Huh-So here are my "mistakes"

-Exercising in the AM-I go to bed at 10, get up at 4...Only 6 hours of sleep. Better change my bedtime!
    -I either never drink, or have way more than 1. I don't think that this really matters though.
    -The AC in my office is CRANKED UP! It's chilly in here...Every day, all day.
    -I exercise to burn the extra calories I eat. But since we're already at such a defecit, I don't think this one hurts me any.
    -I don't lift weights regularly...But I'm starting! I'm going back to body pump tonight since I found out my spinning class was cancelled.
    -I am shooting for a realistic goal-I think if I were aiming for a size 2 I would get discouraged and quit! Heck, I'm aiming for a size 6-8 and I'm already discouraged...Not quiting though!
    -I don't know how many water-rich foods I'm eating...I guess I could work on that.
    -Also, I don't know how much potassium I'm getting. Huh.

8 out of 10 diet mistakes...Not too good!

I think that this article gives good advice, and is something to think about, but I'm not going to freak out about it! I'll incorporate some of the tips (like more sleep, weights, and water-rich foods) into my lifestyle but other than that I think I'm fine...
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Interesting article -- thanks for sharing! Definitely some counter-intuitive ideas out there. I'm going to embrace a few of them (really focusing on getting 7+ hours of sleep, getting more potassium, and eating fewer calories instead of using exercise to counterbalance big meals).

Food for thought!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    bump to read later