Alli

Options
Does anyone take Alli? I have some that I bought before I started doing this..but never really ate the right kind of way to take it...but I see that my fat grams per meal fits the bill a little more. Just wondered if anyone really has had any success on it...or maybe I should just leave well enough alone.
I never did have any of the side effects before, so I dont worry about that becoming an issue.

Replies

• boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    yeah i know all the medical stats...but has it worked for anyone??
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I'm too afraid of crapping myself in public to try it.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options

This.

Also, the 2 people I know who talked about using it said they lost only a bit more weight than they would have...kinda not worth it. I'd rather just do it naturally.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've heard it causes terrible, terrible bowel movements. I had a friend lost 30lbs with it, but she gained it all back rather quickly.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Amen
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    YES!!! I have taken it. As a personal trainer-I would NEVER recommend a supplement to any of my clients. However I did do Alli and I do tell people this. If I wasn't breastfeeding I would take it again. I was eating right and making sure I wasn't going outside the fat range of eating. If you do there are consequences. I would have lost weight anyway, but it does take off a little more each week. I would however make sure you are eating right and exercising.
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about that stuff.
  • Jessilynmorgan
    Jessilynmorgan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm taking CLA Total Lean from GNC and I have had pretty great results, I looked it up and there are lots of good efficacy studies in the Journal of Clinical Nutrition, double-blind, placebo, controlled studies. I didn't want to take anything with herbs or stimulants, and I didn't want side effects, so this was the only thing I was willing to try. It certainly hasn't hurt!
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options

LOL This comment made me laught!
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    LOl...i never crapped myself before, and i was not eating as healthy as i am now, nor was i exercising. I have a 50 dollar bottle just sitting in the drawer. Maybe I will take it..beginning next weekend.....just in case i have effects..lol...and see if it makes a difference.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I just started using it this weekend. Thought I would give it a try. I have not had any problems with it, but I watch my fat and calories as well as salt.
  • wannaloseit
    Options
    The thing I found interesting in that article was the amount of weight it actually helped you lose, thought the numbers would be bigger. If you have the bottle sitting there I'd go for it, let us know your results!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I never heard of them until now so just did some quick research and concluded quite rapidly that unless I know what the ingredients are I personally would never take it. Funny how the site never once mentions the ingredients. Furthermore, I would have to do a heck of a lot more research after I did know what the ingredients were, holistic or not!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Your better off not using a pill to 'fix' anything. Just adopt a healthy lifestyle and the changes come with it. There is no quick fix and if you do not plan on taking Alli the rest of your life you should not start now.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I've taken it for a short period of time...maybe 6 months in a lazy attempt to drop weight. As a consumer I feel confident that it worked as intended. I doubled up the dosages to get the full prescription strength. I'll just say it's not worth the *Risk*. You definitely won't crap your pants, but if you think you can just squeeze out some gas...maybe you should think twice...simply because the fat that your body didn't absorb is now sliding through your body in oil form....it has to go somewhere right?

Will it work for you? Look at your diet. How much fat are you consuming? How much of that fat is good fat vs. bad fat. If I go out and spend $40 for ingredients to make some high energy snacks packed with healthy fats etc, I really don't want to then spend $50 a month for something to cause my body not to absorb those fats that I'm trying to ingest.

If you're consuming 100g of fat per day (and there are 9 calories per gram of fat) than if taking the 60mg of Alli with every meal, than Alli would roughly save you something around 225 calories per day IF it removed 25% of the fat you consumed.

225 calories per day x 365 days = 82125 calories / 3500 cal per lb = 23 lb loss per year

$50 month x 12 months = $600 year / 23lbs = $26 per pound or 0.07 per calorie

Knowing what I know now, I'd take the $600 bucks and invest it into buying fresh produce or things to allow me a cleaner diet...you'll also save money from not having to buy extra underwear and cleaning supplies :) lol

Total estimation...sorry I'm a numbers geek!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Okay this is the only FDA approved pill like this out there. As far as side effects-again, if you eat the way you are suppose to you will have no problems. So if you are planning on eating pizza don't take the pills. Anything high in fat-yes you will have a problem. Other than that if you are eating the way you should be, I had no problems whatsoever.

Also-gpoitras is correct. The best thing to do is just eating better.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Just because the FDA approves something, doesn't mean it's good for you.