How do I push through the burn?

Options
I want to know how to push through the burn when I do exercises. For example, when I do an ab workout my abs be burning and sometimes I stop and take breaks. Or when Im running on a treadmill doing an HIIT workout or doing the elliptical and my thighs are burning, how do I push pass this burn so I can see results. And is it good to push pass the burn or should I take breaks. I thought if it's burning then it must be working.

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Pushing through the burn is all about your mental strength. It's all about KNOWING you can do it and proving it to yourself. Set a goal and see it through.

To get your body to shape up, you have to have your head in shape first. Breaking that barrier when previously you'd have given up is the biggest high.... that's what keeps me going anyway :-)
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Its mental. You have to tell yourself that you are going to BRING it no matter what. Sometimes you have to take breaks, but jump right back in and give it your best. I try to finish every workout feeling like I gave it my all.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Think about the burn as your reward. If it wasn't burning, you wouldn't be doing it right. Know that the more you push and the harder it burns, the more results it will have for you.
  • where_next
    where_next Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I always think this: My body isn't the boss, I am the boss. I tell my body what to do. This works for me when I'm feeling lazy--I decide when to get up, even if my body doesn't agree :)
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Pushing through the burn is a process that evolves gradually and involves pushing out one or two more reps, steps, etc after you feel the burn begin, then taking a break and returning to the exercise once the burn has subsided. If you follow this process you'll find over time as your muscles grow stronger you'll be able to go longer and exercise harder before the burn sets in.
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    What's goes on on your head when your muscles are burning and screaming at you during a workout? Do you talk yourself in to taking a break or talk yourself into pushing past the fire? Change how you feel about the burn, learn to love it! It's the only way to make the body the change. Basic rule of overload baybee, B2BB!

THAT'S WHAT I REMIND MYSELF OF :-) FACEBOOK.COM/BURNS2BBEAUTIFUL
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I say work until you've got nothing left to give, nothing at all, then you take a break, and get back in it, don't wait too long, just dive right back in.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Also know that you’re still in progress. You’re not fit, yet. You’re getting there. So, maybe you do have to take a break. there is no shame. There is shame only in giving up…on you! So, feel the burn, get the shakes, push it as far as you can. Take breath, and go back at it. And feel no shame that you can’t do it “perfectly”…yet.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I worked through the burn and now I am at the point where if I really push myself I can get physically sick and feel like puking, but I take that as a positive sign, get it over with and keep on pushing, once you break through the wall of the burn you gain a mental strength that will allow you to master your own body.
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    thanks a lot everyone I really appreciate the comments. I know i just have to tell myself to push through it no matter what. It's hard, but I can do it.