Do I need more cardio on top of the Jillian Michael's 30DS?

Options
I just bought the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (after searching 3 stores- did everyone start it this week, or something?) and started today. Even at level 1 it is a challenging workout, but I just have a hard time believing that I can burn enough calories only working out 30 minutes per day. Is it because you get increased calorie burn after your workout? As it is, I only get 1200 cals per day, so I like to do a lot of cardio so I can earn more food and still lose weight.

I've been logging this as circuit training and it says it burns 296 calories for me for the 30 minutes. Is this how I should be logging it? For those of you who did this program:
1) Did you do it every day for a full 30 days, or did you take a day off every week?
2) Did you do additional cardio to supplement your workout?
3) Did you get weight loss results, or did you lose inches only? (I definitely would like to lose inches, but I still have quite a bit of weight to lose).

Replies

• tmorford
    tmorford Posts: 38
    Options
    like kbloodworth I would like to know from those doing the 30DS if they are also trying to maintain a running regiment... My legs get so sore from the "Shred" that it is affecting my jogs ...

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks
  • AMSull19
    AMSull19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i've been wondering the same. I bought it two weeks ago and end up doing some running on the treadmil after most nights just to get in extra cardio. one good way to fight out would probably be to get a HRM to see how many calories are burned doing it, i just cant afford a good one right now and dont want to buy a cheap one.
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am on day 13 of this and I am getting results...I believe the workout is only 20 minutes and some days I will throw in something extra like treadmill or doing a couple of circuits off her Burn Fat Boost Metabolism dvd. I think you will get results doing just the 30DS but if you want to further challenge your body, I'd say go for it, just don't burn yourself out. I am doing it 30 days straight...I don't know what kind of difference it would make having an on/off week as this is my first time through. It kicks my butt though :) Good luck!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Love 30 day shred!
    I logged it in as circuit training, but then changed it to personalized jm 30 shred- level1,level 2, level 3 as separate exercises with the calories burned at 200/250/290.
    I do have other dvd's which I switch to, just for a variety, but always, always go back to the jm divd.
    Purchase troublezone, and metabolism dvds from jm later, They work your butt off, but fantastic workouts!
    Personally I noticed that I lost inches! but not a lot of weight-but now my body is more toned muscle--of course, I still have a ways to go to meet my goals.
    Hope you enjoy your 30 day shred!
    Keep up the hard work!
    smiles :)
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Addition I think I have lost around 4 lbs since starting it and I haven't lost inches on my lower tummy which is my problem area yet but I did lose 2 inches on the smallest part of my waist...I haven't remeasured anything else...saving it for the end :)
  • anna441
    anna441 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the 30 DS for the month of march...I am on day 11...

I use my HRM, depending on the intensity,....for 30-35 min work out ( I repeat some steps to make it 30 -35 min long), my HRM says I burn 300 - 325 calories...

I think with all the cardio abs and strength training it is quite possible to burn that amount of calorie...
  • MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    I just finished level one. I am just under 170 lbs and with my HRM it says I burn anywhere between 180-220 calories in the 30 minutes. I usually burn a little more if I warm up on the elliptical for 10-15 minutes before hand (that's when I hit 220ish) If I don't warm up I am closer to that 180 calories burned. Personally, I still do cardio or another workout on top of the 30DS. This is what works best for me. 10-15 minute cardio warm up, 30 Day Shred, then 30+ minutes of more cardio or another aerobic workout. I found if I run more than 10-15 minutes prior it's hard to perform my best during the shred.
  • sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Buddyslim.com reports that you can burn 503 cal per hour for a weight of 154 pounds when doing this video. I did it in January and lost 10 pounds but it was when I first started mfp so I attribute the loss more to reduced calorie intake. I felt like I wasn't getting
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    i was wondering the same thing.
    i'm on day 4 and i want to start the fat burning one friday (when i get my allowance) and do double i have less than 80 days to get in shape and i want big results
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of elliptical in addition to the Shred. I have lost about 4 pounds. Not sure how many inches but my clothes are fitting much better!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi--I did the full 30 day shred in February, every day, and then have been continuing on level 3 every other day for the last 2 weeks just because I like it. During the full 30 days I did the shred and then another 20-30 minutes on the elliptical. I like to burn at least 400 calories a day and only burned around 200 on average for the shred.

I'm on maintenance so didn't lose any weight. I did not measure either but based on how my pants feel I think I'm much stronger and must have lost a little bit of "size" ( I don't know if they are full inches) in my rear, thighs and waist. I'm planning to start her new workout this week although I'm a little scared....hope it isn't too hard!

Good luck to you!!
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I am on day 20 - taking one day off a week. The only other "exercise" I have done is cleaning house. :) So far only a few pounds lost, but inches everywhere are coming off. I lost over a pants size since starting. I feel firmer everywhere and people have been commenting on how much weight I have lost. I don't have the heart to tell them that I have only lost 2 pounds in 20 days. :)

I figured I would try the 30 days to see what kind of results, but after I am done I plan on moving up to 30-60 minute work outs. I just wanted to get started. I did not exercise before starting this, and I think it is a great way to start. I love the constant change and short time frame - but boy do I hate jumping jacks. :)
  • tmorford
    tmorford Posts: 38
    Options
    bump
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am confused about the logic behind doing the shred every single day - I thought you need to rest muscle groups in between workouts? Is it bad to do the exact same workout for 10 days in a row like this?
  • MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    I am confused about the logic behind doing the shred every single day - I thought you need to rest muscle groups in between workouts? Is it bad to do the exact same workout for 10 days in a row like this?

I asked the exact same question when I started...I don't know if I got an exact answer, but basically the "consensus" was that it's not enough of a strength training workout to burn out your muscles. I was sore for the first 7 days (legs)...sometimes felt like I couldn't possibly do the workout, but I just pushed through it. If you find other information on this topic I am interested to know too.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what size weight you're supposed to use during levels 1, 2, and 3?
  • leelee03
    leelee03 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would just do the program through first for a while and see how you feel. If you really feel like you have enough energy and it doesn't burn you out you could always add a little something in here and there.
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I will probably do cardio on top of this whenever I can. I mean, it can't hurt, right?
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what size weight you're supposed to use during levels 1, 2, and 3?

I'm not sure. I'm using two 5-lb weights because that is what I have sitting around my house.
  • Yemaya1129
    Options

Depends on your current level of fitness. JM and her models are using 5 or 8 lb weights. I'm currently using 3 lbs weights, which I think are too light for me.