What is your best exercise tip?!?

Options
What is your best exercise tip you can give someone just starting out!?!?!

Amanda:smile:

Replies

• GettingThin08
    Options
    What is your best exercise tip you can give someone just starting out!?!?!

Amanda:smile:
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Put your workout clothes and your shoes right by the bed so you trip over them in the morning! Sometimes it's the only thing that forces me to go to the gym.

(or, if it's cold, sleep in them!)
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Don't skimp on the exercise! It's very important! Also make sure you balance cardio with some strength training as well - muscle will increase your metabolism and make you look better. :wink: I think the best thing you can do is sign up for a class of some kind, even if it's just a yoga class at the local YMCA - it keeps you accountable and makes it an enjoyable social event! And it's fun! :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • josie1557
    Options
    For me, the best thing I did was get an iPod and listen to some music that makes me feel sexy while I'm working out....it keeps me focused on the body image I have in mind (all that healthiness aside, it's all about the physical appeal). When I'm listening to music that makes me feel sexy, I work out harder to attain that image. Yes, I eat to be healthy, but I exercise to look great!!!
  • honeybunchthree
    honeybunchthree Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Do cardio long enough to make you sweat so you know you are burning those calories!
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    Accountability partner...if I'm meeting someone, I'm much more likely to show up!
  • andtckrtoo
    andtckrtoo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Every little bit helps.

If you are short on time and only have 20 minutes - get out there and move for those 20 minutes. It's better than doing nothing at all.

Fitness and health are journies, not destinations, so don't get too stressed when the ride is bumpy or rushed. It will smooth out again. Just keep faith in yourself.
  • arjames82
    arjames82 Posts: 154
    Options
    If you're working out after work, take your gym clothes with you to work and change before you leave the building. If I go home and sit down, I tend to get lazy and not want to go to the gym.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Don't skimp on the exercise! It's very important! Also make sure you balance cardio with some strength training as well - muscle will increase your metabolism and make you look better. :wink: I think the best thing you can do is sign up for a class of some kind, even if it's just a yoga class at the local YMCA - it keeps you accountable and makes it an enjoyable social event! And it's fun! :flowerforyou: Good luck!

I second that! :drinker:

Always push yourself to go harder, stronger and faster.
  • delpha2
    delpha2 Posts: 42
    Options
    I second the iPod or other MP3 players.

I absolutely DEPEND on several podcasts to keep me moving:

1. Podrunner!!! - one of the best electronic mixes for walkers and runners. Mixes are all the same tempo and about an hour long. If you know your stride length you can estimate distance, number of steps taken and mi/hour if you put your foot down on the beat.

2. Motivation to Move - This isn't as cool as it used to be because there used to be a lot more free materials. But listening to the occasional freebie he throws out is good. Motivation is SO important.

3. Fit to Fat Radio - two guys, one Canadian and one American talk about all kinds of diet and exercise related topics.

These are my three absolute favorite.
    The other tip I can give is to pay attention to your motivation, its the only thing you have to keep you moving forward. This is one of those big decisions you make, kinda like getting married or deciding to have children because it NEVER stops until they put you in a box (because when you stop moving you're dead).

D