Gas, bloating, constipation and pain

Options
Sorry if this is TMI for anyone, but I'm in a lot of pain over here. I have been eating a high fiber diet for a while now and only recently have I started having real issues with gas and bloating. I had major constipation when I was pregnant, but that seemed to pass after I had her. Well, in the last year the constipation has returned on and off. I have at times used laxatives, but not on a regular basis. Well, recently, I am having major bloating to the point where the pain makes me feel like I have to pee. Also, I have a lot of pain in the oblique areas and near my hips. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Could it be muscle pain caused from working out that is exacerbated by the bloating? I have been sick for days and haven't worked out since like Wed. or Thurs., so I don't think my abs should be sore right now. It's only on the sides. I literally look almost pregnant due to bloating. (just took a test for assurance and negative as I figured since I have an IUD). Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW....I stopped the laxatives and drink tons of water and also haven't had a period since 2007 (got IUD after having baby). I just took a Gas X (simethicone) and I'm feeling a little relief, but I'm tired of this happening so often. Is oblique pain normal?

Replies

• dian1227
    dian1227 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, when I started this adventure, my everyday life was that way. Once my system flushed all of the crap, things settled down. I won't tell you that its alway ok, but better. High fiber foods are just that way. Try beano...it really does work when it comes to beans, veggies etc. Water helps too.

Hang in there, it gets better, and the results are worth it.

Blessings,

Diane
  • aset132
    aset132 Posts: 91
    Options
    When I eat real clean I have a lot of the same problems. I think it may be a cleansing type effect for me, but since you've been having so much trouble and have been in real pain, I really think it might be a good idea to see a Dr. I'm not sure that you should be this uncomfortable. I hope you feel better soon and good luck.
  • quanta
    quanta Posts: 28
    Options
    It may be something else. Like a sugar alcohol intolerance. Or a fructose malabsorption problem.
  • LI1843
    LI1843 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ever been tested for Celiac Disease?? Intolerance to gluten(wheat, rye, barley, malt, oats). Sounds like symptoms my son had until he was diagnosed. Fiber is not a problem with this disease unless you're eating fiber bars, bread, etc.... Those are actually destroying the lining of your intestine villi and your body can not grasp on to the nutrients in your food. Or diverticulitis(?sp). I've heard the bloating pain associated with that is almost unbearable, like poke you with a pin for some relief type bloating pain. Hope you find your answers soon. Sorry you're miserable!
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeing a doctor about it..you never know it could be something besides just the gas causing all the problems. I just heard Friday that constipation could be caused by an underactive thyroid gland..I had no idea and I'm sure there are a lot more things out there...Maybe call and talk to a nurse and see if she/he thinks you need to see the dr. Hope it gets better soon :)
  • FatDoctor
    FatDoctor Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, your digestive system is overloaded with fibre. Anything, even fibre, needs to be consumed with moderation. Have a fasting 24 hours, with plenty of water to drink. Then make yourself habit to start a day with a glass of water. If that wouldn't help see a health professional.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Fasting? Please more information as I know nothing about fasting, but I'm willing to try anything. I do eat very clean and tons of fiber. Also, it seemed that the bloating for today at least started directly after eating a Boca Burger (soy). I have been eating them for a while, but I have been sick with Bronchitis this week and did eat some garbagey processed foods on Wednesday and Thursday which may be making it worse.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would go see your Dr. to make sure it is not something serious.

If everything is all good, I have heard drinking a warm glass of water first thing in the morning helps. They make natural stool softeners that can help you out.

Good luck hope all is well with you.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If it happens when you eat greasy foods it could be a problem with your gallbladder.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents is that ongoing pain like that is never normal. You could have a real problem as some suggest and waiting a few MORE days without knowing what you are dealing with could be serious. Or maybe it is absolutely nothing. I'd rather be safe than sirry when it comes to abdominal pain. Hope it works out for you!
  • sweetnshy
    sweetnshy Posts: 97
    Options
    ugh, I was wondering if I should post something like this!! I've been slowing working on increasing my fiber intake and eating more fruits and veggies, but I'm horribly constipated. I never had this problem when I was eating crap. It's been at least 3 days since I've gone. I feel like I need to go but it's just not happening. I've been drinking 3-4 liters of water everyday. I just don't know what to do anymore!
  • Bridgetc140
    Options
    Sweetnshy.....I feel your pain (literally). I used to laugh at those stupid "Are you regular" commercials and here I am....uncomfortable because I'm irregular...lol. Tomorrow, I am buying prune juice and no matter how disgusting...I'm going to drink it. I will tell myself that it is chocolate syrup!
  • smj60
    smj60 Posts: 18
    Options
    Might seem like common sense to some, but also make sure that you are eating your fruits earlier in the day. Also with your veggies make sure if you are eating them with a meal that you eat them first that way your body breaks them down right away. if you eat them after everything else the just ferment in your stomach causing your body to metablise gases which causes you to bloat and get gassy...just a thought :smile: :smile:
  • Bridgetc140
    Options
    Might seem like common sense to some, but also make sure that you are eating your fruits earlier in the day. Also with your veggies make sure if you are eating them with a meal that you eat them first that way your body breaks them down right away. if you eat them after everything else the just ferment in your stomach causing your body to metablise gases which causes you to bloat and get gassy...just a thought :smile: :smile:

Interesting...I usually save my veggies for last as they're my favorite part. Thanks....this definitely helps.
  • smj60
    smj60 Posts: 18
    Options
    Glad i could help:smile: Good Luck!!!
  • Shellndub
    Shellndub Posts: 72
    Options
    I have those issues when I eat wheat, gluten. I just found out I am intollerant!!
  • erinnmcpherson
    Options
    I know I'm behind on this post, but could it be something else, like a cyst on your ovary?? I get them sometimes... I have one now that is 2.5 inches long and causes me crazy pain all of my pelvis area... and not all the time, but a lot of times. It causes me to bloat and look like I'm 3 mos preg even though I have an IUD also... an ultrasound could confirm it. Just a thought.