measuring question

Options
gecho
gecho Posts: 426 Member
hey peoples,
measuring question waist is around your belly button right? hips are around the widest part of your hips right?
I measured for the first time in a long time and i would just like to know if i did it right.

Replies

• Megthatgirl
    Megthatgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Do an inch above your belly button! Thats what Ive always been told anyway :)
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I just measure the smallest part of my torso. I'm high-waisted, so the one-inch rule doesn't work for me.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    I always do the fattest part of my belly, then its easy to get the same part...
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    hey peoples,
    measuring question waist is around your belly button right? hips are around the widest part of your hips right?
    I measured for the first time in a long time and i would just like to know if i did it right.

If you want to measure your "real" waist, I have always been told it's about an inch above the belly button, however, I sometimes try to measure at my belly button as well because that is the largest part of my stomach, and I like to know if I've actually lost inches in that area instead of my "real" waist.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    For men it is at the belly button, for women it is higher up, about halfway between your belly button and your sternum,usually the narrowest part of your torso.
  • braungal
    braungal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also us the smallest part for the waist and the largest part for the hips. The calculation between those three along with your neck can give a body fat number. Just like measuring the for a bra size you need the biggest and smallest to get the difference so you know what cup.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Waist is the smallest part of you, where you curve in so often it’s only a couple inches below your bra line. I always take the true waist and at my widest point since the widest point will show more progress. My shape is flat in front but wider on the sides hence my desire to take both measurements.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I always do the fattest part of my belly, then its easy to get the same part...

Ha! That's what I do too.

I figure as long as I am consistently measuring the same spots on my body, it doesn't really matter if I am an inch off of where I am "supposed" to measure.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I also us the smallest part for the waist and the largest part for the hips. The calculation between those three along with your neck can give a body fat number. Just like measuring the for a bra size you need the biggest and smallest to get the difference so you know what cup.

ok so if i have
    Neck 13.0
    Waist 33.5
    Hips 41.0
    what is my body fat ?
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My trainer does over the belly button. Helps for consistency...