Your body's like a car.

Options
Okay there are tons of posts on here about eating all your calories or eating your exercise calories. Well let's pertend that every day you drive to work and your car takes exactly 3 gallons of gas. And you happen to live across the street from a gas station and put exactly 3 gallons of gas in everyday when you get home from work. This works great you use 3 gallons and you put 3 gallons in. You do this everyday.

Now one day you have to drive 2 extra blocks. Which your car is not use to doin and you didn't put any extra full in it so on your way home, 2 blocks from your house your car starts to sputter and a block away it dies, but your smart and you shift to neutral and coast into the station.

One morning you wake up and have a phone call, and you have to go see your mother and you are going to have to run your car twice as far as you usually do. You remember how it lost it's going power when you didn't put in extra gas. So you run over to the station and put twice as much gas as normal and you don't have any problems.

Now my question for you is if your body needs 1800 calories a day and you are already cutting them by 500 calories in order to loses weigh, why would you want to run your body short and not eat your exercise calories that your body needs. Like a car you body has to have a certain amount of calories to run like it's suppose to. And if you drastically cut yourself short your will metabolism will start to sputter and slow down. And eventually it will just coast along, but not go any where. If you really want to jump start your weight lose eat all of your calories. Exercise not to burn more calories to increase your weight loss but to make your body stronger and healthier, to strengthen your heart and lungs, to define and tone your muscles.

Be smart on your journey.

Replies

• Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Okay there are tons of posts on here about eating all your calories or eating your exercise calories. Well let's pertend that every day you drive to work and your car takes exactly 3 gallons of gas. And you happen to live across the street from a gas station and put exactly 3 gallons of gas in everyday when you get home from work. This works great you use 3 gallons and you put 3 gallons in. You do this everyday.

Now one day you have to drive 2 extra blocks. Which your car is not use to doin and you didn't put any extra full in it so on your way home, 2 blocks from your house your car starts to sputter and a block away it dies, but your smart and you shift to neutral and coast into the station.

One morning you wake up and have a phone call, and you have to go see your mother and you are going to have to run your car twice as far as you usually do. You remember how it lost it's going power when you didn't put in extra gas. So you run over to the station and put twice as much gas as normal and you don't have any problems.

Now my question for you is if your body needs 1800 calories a day and you are already cutting them by 500 calories in order to loses weigh, why would you want to run your body short and not eat your exercise calories that your body needs. Like a car you body has to have a certain amount of calories to run like it's suppose to. And if you drastically cut yourself short your will metabolism will start to sputter and slow down. And eventually it will just coast along, but not go any where. If you really want to jump start your weight lose eat all of your calories. Exercise not to burn more calories to increase your weight loss but to make your body stronger and healthier, to strengthen your heart and lungs, to define and tone your muscles.

Be smart on your journey.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: good stuff you shared Anna38.gifBanana
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    Thank you for the nice comparison - sometimes it's hard to explain it to people, but this is a great way to show the logic behind eating the exercise calories! :smile:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!

I eat at least half of my exercise cals back! (I burn a lot)

I keep my metabolism at a constant burn by doing this, plus interval exercises plus eating healthful and smaller meals during the day.

I am always saying I eat to "fuel" myself. It is SO important everyone. Feed your bodies well and it will reward you.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    So true! :drinker:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!

There seems to be a lot of repeat questions on this and this is a perfect way to tell it!

:glasses: <<<<<<<that's you. That's how cool YOU are...

:smile:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    How much are you burning during exercise?? I feel that I cannot eat all of them because I work out so much
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    However...if you have alot of weight to lose, your body will dive into its fat stores to get your "car" the rest of the way home. we have to remember the post banks [put up about the amount of deficit that is acceptable.

great analogy to the car, though ana...

the way i look at it, i drive a little honda, but i have enough fuel store in the trunk to fuel a winnebago. i use up the gas in the tank, and use my "reserves" to fuel me the rest of the time.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    This is all making sense...when in the past I've lost weight quickly I've always gained it back and then some. When "Dieting" before, I pretty much didn't eat. I'd be taking phentermine and it would totally supress my appetite

Thanks for the info
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    MY PROBLEM IS THAT I DO NOT WORKOUT AT THE GYM THAT HARD. I GET SHORTWINDED TOO EASY. THE EXTRA CALORIES ACTUALLY STAY ON ME MAKING ME GAIN WEIGHT.

JOY:flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    MY PROBLEM IS THAT I DO NOT WORKOUT AT THE GYM THAT HARD. I GET SHORTWINDED TOO EASY. THE EXTRA CALORIES ACTUALLY STAY ON ME MAKING ME GAIN WEIGHT.

JOY:flowerforyou:

Its ok if you don't workout hard. SOmetimes I go for a leisurely walk. ya it only burns 100 calories, but hey that's... a pear, or a glass of milk, or a yogurt. If you're exercising, you're burning SOMETHING. Eat it back, you earned it.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Can I plz get a tuneup? :frown:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Can I plz get a tuneup? :frown:

What's the problem, Your crank shaft?