exercise motivation

Options
Hi all!
I have been very active and athletic all my life, until I graduated from college last May. Since then I have been adjusting to a new job, new schedule and new eating habits. I am trying to stay on track but have gained about 10 lbs since graduation, which is what lead me to try myfitnesspal. My biggest struggle is finding the motivation to exercise and I am curious what works for other people. I love yoga, pilates and running outdoors, but I just can't seem to drag myself out of bed to go in the morning. In the back of m mind I am also worried that if I exercise my appetite will increase and I will have difficulty sticking to my eating plan or even binge... any words of advice? Thanks!

Replies

• MeaganAnn84
    Options
    Hi! I had a hard time dragging my butt out of bed also, but I started taking One a Day Women's Active Metabolism vitamins...it's a whole new world! So much energy! They may work for you, too. I have been working out, my appetite stayed the same. I hope this helps you, good luck!
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    Getting out is hard, especially when it is cold/rainy/dark/hot/humid... If you like running have you checked your area for a running group. Check in with the local running shoe store like Fleet Feet, they will either have groups or know what running clubs are in the area. I've traveled a lot this last year and have been able to hook up with someone almost everywhere just finding the local store, they can also tell you where the local runners typically go to run, where you might meet someone. Once your in the habit it's easier to get out on your own. You can also register for a local race, nothing like committing to an event with money to push you out the door. Appetite has not been a problem.
  • mikeles
    mikeles Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi there.
    Motivation is the biggest thing for all of us I think.
    I know I have had to get a partner to come running with me otherwise i'll just roll over and go back to sleep.
    I'll wake up at 0600 and get dressed then sit on the lounge and wait as my running partner doesn't "start" until 0630, but that whole time i'll be sitting there thinking "I hope he doesn't come".
    Once he is there i'm up and out the door in a flash because I know he is as easly swayed as I am to not exercise.
    At the end of every workout I thank him for turning up.
    That is how I keep motivated... mine isn't from within.
    Tragic thing is that he keeps telling me i'm his motivation..... Strange World :)
    Mac
  • ameaston22
    Options
    This past summer when I started bicycling, I noticed my appetite increased dramatically. However, I learned that it's okay to eat more than usual if you are exercising regularly - as long as you are eating the right things or the wrong things in small proportions. I am not super strict diet person. I believe cutting anything out that you love is a recipe for disaster. So, for me counting calories is an awesome tool - even on days where I want to be bad. If I want to eat a box of junior mints, I will log the calories in advance and know how much I need to workout later. For healthy snacks - fruits, veggies, popcorn are super filling and good for you too.

As for motivation, find something you WANT to do. Find a class that you actually look forward to going. Maybe figure out if any friends want to come with you. My main motivation is my good friend who is also trying to lose weight. We are constantly supporting and checking in on one another. Also, I love to ride my bike. I will hop on and be gone for hours just pedaling away. I don't view it as work.