Swimming..

Options
I'd really like to start getting into swimming and thanks to a real stroke of luck (Pun totally intended) I have the use of a neighbors pool whenever I want.

However, I have no idea where I should begin when it comes to setting up a routine. I'm planning on going twice a week to do laps, but how many laps and how long should I go for to see results?

My exercise level has been low recently, but I'm going back to the gym three times a week starting this week (MWF). Swimming is meant to fill the gap in my routine (TT)

Since, I don't know a whole lot about swimming, aside from basic strokes, are their any exercises suggested for all over toning? Or will that be achieved by swimming itself?

Someone point me in the right direction! I could use some tips.

Replies

• mrsjcmyles
    mrsjcmyles Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Laps will do you just fine. When you swim, you are using all muscles. But there are other exercises that you can do in the water, I would google it. When I used to swim on a daily basis, I would switch it up sometimes to focus on certain areas, like use a kickboard to focus on just legs, or cross my legs and just do arms. I've known of ppl using ankle weights in the shallow end and just jogging back and forth.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You'll also want to switch up the goal of your exercise day by day - one day you might be going for distance. If the pool is 25m, aim to swim 500m or 20 laps. Another day you might aim to increase speed/endurance by alternating easy/slow pace swimming with more vigorous laps. Practice good form and breathing using a kickboard. Use fins to strengthen your leg muscles. Really, it doesn't matter, so long as you're getting the exercise and keeping it interesting!
  • Neona
    Neona Posts: 28
    Options
    But, being a newbi what should my starter goals be? What should I set as my long term goals?