Early Morning Workouts.....Ugh!!!

Options
Good morning everyone! I'm starting a new job today after being off work for about 8 months. I'm on day 44 of P90x and due to kids and a busy home life, I don't have much time to do an hour workout in the morning and I'm beat after the kids go to bed. I'm thinking an early mornig workout is the only option for me. However, in order to get my workout in and get myself ready before getting my boys up I will have to get up at 4:30!!!

Does anyone else get up this early to workout? Do you have any tips for not procrastinating? I'm beat and love my sleep!!!!!
Thanks!!!!

Replies

• tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    View working out just as important as brushing your teeth.
  • jensdaily
    jensdaily Posts: 16
    Options
    It gets easier! I have 3 kids and I'm a stay at home mom. The only time of day I can workout uninterrupted is before the sun comes up, which means I'm up at 4:15am. At first, I had to be in bed by 8 and sleeping by 8:30 just so I could function the next day, but now I can stay up between 9:30 and 10 and still have a great day :) You can do this, just keep going one day at a time!!!
  • mom2boys2011
    Options
    Jen thats just was I was hoping to hear! I know I will feel better throughout the day just knowing that its already done :)
  • sapiers
    sapiers Posts: 14
    Options
    I go in to work very early, leave my house around 4am every morning so what I do is a short intense workout of either JM 30 day shred or rowing machine, takes about 20-30 minutes so with shower and all I have to get up at 3am. I also do an hour of cardio in the evening (stationary bike), I can usually get this in by putting a show on the tv for the kids while I ride in the living room with them. I've been wanting to start up the p90x again but I'm not sure I can fit it insince it ties up the tv. You can do you you just have to work out what is best for you. In the morning you definitely just have to get into it as soon as possible so you don't give yourself time to talk you out of it :)
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:15 am to workout. It is tough in the beginning but you have way more energy during the day, helps your stress level at work and with the kids and it's done for the day so you know how many calories you truly have for food.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    View working out just as important as brushing your teeth.

DITTO
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:15 am. I try to be in bed by 9:30....enough sleep is so important! I also moved my alarm clock across the room so I don't hit snooze all of the time and I sleep in my workout clothes so I'm all ready to go. I love working out in the AM because then it's all done!!
  • obrienalana
    obrienalana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys get up i the middle of the night!!! 4am isnt morning its night! haha but youve all inspired me, i wont be moaning so much going for a jog before 9am anymore :)
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I'm starting a new job today after being off work for about 8 months. I'm on day 44 of P90x and due to kids and a busy home life, I don't have much time to do an hour workout in the morning and I'm beat after the kids go to bed. I'm thinking an early mornig workout is the only option for me. However, in order to get my workout in and get myself ready before getting my boys up I will have to get up at 4:30!!!

Does anyone else get up this early to workout? Do you have any tips for not procrastinating? I'm beat and love my sleep!!!!!
    Thanks!!!!

Lay your workout clothes, towel and hrm if you're using one, in the bathroom the night before. Lay out any equipment you need the night before. Have a water bottle filled, in the fridge and ready to go the night before. Have the DVD ready in the machine the night before. The less you have to do in the morning to prepare, the more likely you'll be to do it. I work out at 5 am, so I understand.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    4am my alarm goes off and I just shoot up out of bed. It will get easier and become routine after a few weeks. You just have to keep it up. It also feels good to have your afternoons free to do your daily activities.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have hubby, kids, 3 dogs and work 2 jobs 5 days a week...... only ME time I can get is while they sleep!
    4am I jump up and head to the gym!!
    Definately lay out your clothes and anything you need the night before and put them in the bathroom! Then you just gotta splash your face, brush your teeth, throw a headband in and go!! It will get easier and feel "normal" to you soon!! =)
    You just have to do it, like Nike says!! =)
  • LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    I was in your shoes about 3 weeks ago. I also have kids, a full-time job and a hubby that keep me busy throughout the day and early evening. So getting up early is my only option. Especially to keep my sanity. I get up every morning at 4:00am. I always have my clothing, etc., ready to go in a pile so all I have to do is peel myself out of bed and grab it. As I'm getting ready in the bathroom I also start sipping on a Red Bull. I'm to my gym no later than 4:25 usually. I start out on the treadmill to get my mind and body going and I'm good to go the rest of the day. It was really hard at first and WAY too easy to procrastinate. But just force yourself to get up and put one foot infront of the other. It gets much much easier after the first week. I promise! I actually wake up really early on my own now (usually before my alarm goes off) and really enjoy it. I have found that I'm much happier when I get to work out. You get stronger everyday.

Hope this works for you! Giving yourself that time just for you is well worth the investment! :)
  • mom2boys2011
    Options
    Thank you guys all so much for the suggestions. I am going to do just what you guys said and lay everything out at night. I procrastinated this morning and spent the entire day thinking about the workout that i probably wasn't going to be able to squeeze in this evening. I always feel better when I get it done in the morning so I don't have to feel like poo all day thinking about it :) Tomorrow morning I will be up before the chickens and have that workout done!!!! Gooooooo me!!!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    God no. Nothing on Earth, not even my children, can get me up before 7.30am. It simply isn't going to happen, ever.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    When I did P90X doubles, I HAD to do one of my workouts before work. I leave the house for work at 6:15 a.m., so the alarm went off at 4:00 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 2 months. It wasn't pleasant, but I found that I loved how I felt for the rest of the day after working out in the morning. Sadly, I found that I also tend to get stupid injuries when I workout regularly in the morning, probably because I push myself quite hard and my body is just a smidge too creaky in the morning for such intensity.
  • 40notFatty
    Options
    WOW!!!! I'll never moan about a 6.00am workout again!!!!!!!
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    God no. Nothing on Earth, not even my children, can get me up before 7.30am. It simply isn't going to happen, ever.

This is pretty much what I was thinking as I was reading all the enthusiastic posts. :laugh: I do get up 6:00 am in order to make it to work by 7:15, but I still feel like I just COULD NOT get up any earlier in order to work out. I give a ton of credit to all of you early risers! :flowerforyou: