Hello Everyone! Any other Vegetarians?

Options
I am so excited to start this website plan! I have been doing it for about a week and a half and I love it!! I am already seeing great results.
I am a sophomore studying Musical Theatre and I am trying to really focus this semester on getting very toned and muscular. I know I have to look good for such a competitive career, and I look forward to getting muscle on my body so I can perform to my absolute best.
Being a vegetarian, this website is very helpful because it easily tracks my protein!

Are there any other vegetarians, or anyone, out there who can recommend foods, or recipes, that are high in protein and low in fat and calories? Besides Tofu, of course.

Thanks! I look forward to becoming a healthier, stronger person along with you guys!

Replies

• RedVelvetCurls
    RedVelvetCurls Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am also a vegetarian, but doing it for Lent. If I like it I may make it a permanent change. :flowerforyou:
  • AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm a partial vegetarian (I eat chicken & turkey)...I know a lot of people suggest mushrooms. I don't personally eat them (yuck! i think they smell like feet too lol). I think beans (black or kidney) are pretty good...they fill me up like crazy. I make little mini pizzas and put them on that fill me up. Put some sauce on 2 halves of a whole wheat english muffin then add some garlic, basil, and oregano. Then add some beans, peppers, and low sodium cheese.
  • LinzBean
    LinzBean Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello Miss. :)
    I also am a vegetarian, er somewhat. I only eat chicken but it's very rarely. I have loads of recipes if you are interested in swapping ideas.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    There are definitely a lot of us on here -- welcome! Happy to see another vegetarian in the ranks. I'm vegan, myself.

I'm a big fan of quinoa, so-so on tofu depending on how it's cooked, and of course legumes are high on the list.

If you're able to have gluten, these chickpea cutlets are absolutely DIVINE and are high in protein:
    http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/doublebatch-chickpea-cutlets/

And this spinach linguine with edamame pesto ranks high on protein as well:
    http://www.theppk.com/2009/10/edamame-pesto-a-totally-satisfying-low-fat-manifesto/

If I'm in a time crunch, there's some marinated tempeh that I like to buy, which is good on a salad, rice, quinoa, whatever! Also, Field Roast sausages (especially the smoked apple sage flavor -- yum!) are great to toss into stir fries and ton of other things.

Those are a couple of my staples. :-)
  • 40notFatty
    Options
    Hi there, I'm a vegetarian, i stopped eating meat in December 2010 and i've noticed some great changes in my health, there's a great website which I recently discovered, it has some really good recipes on at www.101cookbook.com. I am not a great cook but the pictures make my mouth water and i'm definitely gonna try some of the recipes.

you can add me as a friend if you want to - it's always good to have like minded people to share with! :happy:
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Hi there! I am also vegetarian, and have been for a year (for ethical reasons, so I don't eat fish or anything that involves the death of an animal.) I still eat dairy (without animal rennet) and eggs, though. Here are some things to keep in mind:

- Excellent sources of protein for vegetarians: quinoa, beans, lentils, non-fat greek yogurt, non-fat cottage cheese, part-skim mozarella, egg whites, nuts, seeds, flax, whey, protein, soy protein, hemp protein and as you said, tofu.
    - Although you want to reduce "bad" fats, there are certain fats you need. Fat is actually essential for health and it also keeps you satiated. Excellent sources of fat: olives, avocado, nuts, seeds.
    - You shouldn't go too low carb, because you need carbohydrates for fuel. I found that quinoa is amazing, because it's an excellent source of protein, but also carbs. Most your carbs (e.g. sugars) should come from vegetables, fruit, whole grains (especially whole wheat), quinoa, brown rice.
    - Most vegetarians, and especially vegans have a hard time with getting proteins, vitamin B and omega 3s. If you study about healthy vegetarian lifestyle, you will be able to get all these into your diet without consuming meat.
    - Take multi-vitamins, and go to the doctor regularly to have your blood tested to ensure you get the necessary nutrients.

Feel free to check out my diary. I am not dieting, instead I try to eat a balanced diet, and yes, you will see girl scout cookies in there. They key is moderation and portion control. :)
  • smota
    smota Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm a partial vegetarian (I eat chicken & turkey)...I know a lot of people suggest mushrooms. I don't personally eat them (yuck! i think they smell like feet too lol). I think beans (black or kidney) are pretty good...they fill me up like crazy. I make little mini pizzas and put them on that fill me up. Put some sauce on 2 halves of a whole wheat english muffin then add some garlic, basil, and oregano. Then add some beans, peppers, and low sodium cheese.

Sorry, this is a theme that I'm really sensitive to, and it would be great if people would understand something...

You are NOT a vegetarian, and there is no such thing as a PARTIAL vegetarian. You're a CARNIVORE who doesn't eat red meat, ok?

I'm sorry, but it's because of people like you that I regularly get asked 'Oh, so you're a vegetarian, you eat chicken!?'

Seriously. Saying you're a partial vegetarian is like saying I'm a partial raw eater because I have salads...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100609105602AAJRvKn

Maybe this will make it clearer.
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm not a veggie but my husband is so, as a result, the whole family tends not to eat much meat. The veggie options are often better value, calorie-wise, like the quorn and vegetable casserole we're having this evening. I'll give you my spinach and butternut squash lasagne recipe - really yummy!
  • Shannonls
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for a couple of years now and would definitely recommend the morning star/boca products. They are very low in calories and taste delicious! Plus, it is nice to not feel left out when you go to a BBQ or something, just eat a fake burger! I don't use all of their products (for example, i never ate sausage or bacon, so I really don't care to eat the fake version either), but I do use their ground beef to make tacos and the chicken to make pita wraps.

One things I must say is that you need to throw on garlic powder/pepper or something when you make some of these things items, it makes them taste much better!
  • barbarahobbs
    Options
    Hi I am a fellow veggy and have only just started this week. It is great, its really helping me stay focused.
  • Firewhirrrl
    Firewhirrrl Posts: 144
    Options
    @ Smota
    I once had a friend refer to being a vegetarian as someone who does not eat things which once had eyes.

That said,
    Not all vegetarians are spiritual about it. Out of the 28 meals each week, 26 of mine are vegetarian . Actually over half are vegan.( and I also love quinoa)

But twice a week I have chicken broth.

And I tell you what. Coming from a diatary perspective, not a sprirtual one, I know a lot of recipes, I also wonder what I am going to eat when I go out... So I bring my own food.

I have to consider protien and iron and calcium absorption.

So I might lack one persepctive, but I am valuable for others which means I have valuable contributions for a vegetarian, or vegan for that matter.

So you can take your richousness and anger and look there for all the horrible wrong in your life...
  • smota
    smota Posts: 62
    Options

So you can take your richousness and anger and look there for all the horrible wrong in your life...

This last one actually made me laugh, so we're good. I suppose you mean righteousness, in which case you're wrong - and that goes for anger too, and I'm pleased to let you know there is nothing horribly wrong in my life.

Indeed, you have a lot of good and correct advice for any vegetarian, but so do many people who are not vegetarians in any way. My only point was in terms of definition. Ask anyone who is 100% vegetarian (I am not a vegan) if they would say you are vegetarian, and I would be curious to how many would say you are, that's all. It's just that it gets people confused about what a vegetarian is, and then those of us who never open exceptions are seen as 'extremists' and 'dine out poopers'. I don't know what you mean about being a 'spiritual vegetarian' either. If you mean I do it for religious purposes, you're wrong. I am a vegetarian because I feel better this way, I feel healthier. Besides, I think your friend was totally right - eating things which once had eyes is just not cool.

I personally find it quite easy to eat out. I don't know where you live, but in London (I guess the UK) restaurants are demanded by law to have two vegetarian options - that said, most have a couple more - so I'm sorry to hear you struggle with it.

As for protein, iron and calcium, if that is the reason why you have the broth, there are many supplements which can do the job and you can avoid all the animal fat. Vegan cod liver oil tablets are great.

I hope we're understood now, and I apologize if I started the subject too harshly, but 12 years of stupid avoidable questions just make you want things to be clearer. Peace.
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Recipe as promised:

(I haven't worked out the calories because its a bit of an indulgent one!)

Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagne (for 6 people)

1kg Butternut Squash – halved, deseeded and cut into chunks
    3 garlic cloves crushed
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    500g spinach, washed and stalks removed
    50g butter
    50g plain flour
    1pt/600ml semi skim milk
    125g mascapone cheese
    125g dolcelatte cheese
    1 tablespoon chopped sage
    Nutmeg
    150g fresh lasagne sheets
    25g grated parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Put squash and garlic in roasting tin, drizzle with oil and season . Cook for 30 mins or so until tender. Set aside to cool.
    2. Reduce oven to 160 degrees.
    3. Put spinach in a pan with a splash of water. Cook for a few minutes until wilted. Tip into a colander and refresh with cold water. Squeeze out excess moisture.
    4. Melt butter in pan on a medium heat and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 min, take off heat and gradually blend in the milk. Cook on gentle heat, stirring until thickened. Simmer for two mins. Season.
    5. Chop spinach and stir into sauce with the mascarpone and dolcelatte and sage along with a grating of nutmeg. Season. Taste!
    6. Slice squash.
    7. Spread 1/3 of sauce over base of dish, then 1/3 of squash, then lasagne. Repeat. Finish with a layer of sauce and squash.
    8. Can stop here and chill if needed.
    9. Sprinkle with parmesan and cook for 30-45 minutes until golden and bubbling.
  • lulu64uk
    lulu64uk Posts: 62
    Options
    I am a vegetarain, and have been for over 30 years and have never regretted it - there is so much choice these days, where as 30 years ago it was a struggle !!!!

I do not eat anything with eyes or a heart (unless you include Lettuce lol) so NO FISH, CHICKEN ect for me, and nothing with any animal by products.

I wouldnt change it for the world :o)
  • Bruinsmama
    Bruinsmama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been lacto-ovo vegetarian since 1990.

I eat a lot of beans, veggie burgers, tofu & soy products, and fresh fruit & vegs of course!
    I love whole wheat pasta with red sauce (Newmans own makes a good marinara) and lots of vegs!
    Also spinach lasagna, eggplant lasagna, etc!

A great site to find recipes is www. VegWeb.com

Blessings!
    Christine aka Bruinsmama
  • dickinsonc10
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone! This is great!:smile: