Knee Pain

Options
I have been walking for about a month and a half and started to jog a bit (25 paces on / 50 paces off) to try to get more exercise in. However, it seems I'm still too heavy for my own knees and I have injured my right knee, so it's literally a pain just to walk.

I guess I should just stay off from jogging until I loose more weigth. In the meantime, any recommendations to reduce the pain in the knee and help me keep at least walking?

Thanks!!

Replies

• FatDoctor
    FatDoctor Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have got the same problem - with an exception it is left knee. I have to wait to get pain free (it may take 2-3 weeks) , then to get help from podiatrist to select proper running shoes. And to start running again. Good luck.
  • BexC1
    BexC1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Not too sure if it's the same injury - but my husband pulled a muscle under his knee cap doing the same thing last week. He went to the hospital and they've suggested panadeine and nurofen, and rest for a few days to allow it to heal.
  • pwurtz1231
    pwurtz1231 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hmm I had started going to a chiropractor for back pain and soon after had started having knee pain on the elliptical. When I mentioned to her the knees, she looked at them and my tibia leg bone was not in line with my knee cap. She started doing adjustments and besides the knee pain lessening my feet also don't turn out as much. Now, I just recently sprained my ankle stepping off a curb and haven't been working out on the elliptical lately, so I'm not sure how my knees are after 2 weeks of having them adjusted, but I have noticed a difference in the way I walk and the adjustments are holding. If you want to try that route, I'd suggest it, you may be misaligned and that could be causing the pain. Are you icing your knee? That could help as well. With my ankle, I was told to ice it until right before it goes numb, then take the ice off and let it warm up on its own back to body temperature, then put ice back on. It helped with the inflammation. Besides that, and going to a doctor, that's all the advice I have. Good luck!
  • Mark_99
    Mark_99 Posts: 39
    Options
    If there is any swelling then make sure you go and see your doctor immediately. It may be something called Condramalasia patella...... Normally it only happens in younger people as they are growing, but essentially if you are swelling up and if your knee feels like it is locking up and gets painful but then goes quite quickly (2 minutes etc) then go see you doc.

I am just loooking at worse case here and is very unlikely that it is but just be informed so that you can be aware of the symptoms as i wasnt nad ended up on my back for nearly 3 months :sad:

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Take care live healthy :wink:
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I agree...get it checked out. I had to do a round of PT when I injured my knee a year or so ago while working out. Stop doing any exercises that stresses out the knee until you know what it going on....
  • sdoherty1000
    sdoherty1000 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same issue with both my knees- I went to see the doctor and told them exactly what was happening and she prescribed me with some naproxen with is an anti-inflammatory pill. I went out and bought some cushioned running shoes and a knee support and touch wood the knees are holding out ok.

Hope that helps