1lb of Fat = ?

bren6536
bren6536 Posts: 11 Member
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone know how many calories (approximately) are in a lb of fat?
I was wondering if the calorie goal on my thingy here! LOL says I need to eat 1450 calories a day and the BMR says I burn 1450 calories a day when completely at rest then how is it possible to lose 1 lb a week if I were to miss a day or two of excercise?

Replies

• bren6536
    bren6536 Posts: 11 Member
    Does anyone know how many calories (approximately) are in a lb of fat?
    I was wondering if the calorie goal on my thingy here! LOL says I need to eat 1450 calories a day and the BMR says I burn 1450 calories a day when completely at rest then how is it possible to lose 1 lb a week if I were to miss a day or two of excercise?
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I know I can't answer your question. However I have been reading a book on the Fiber diet and it had an interesting tid bit of information.
    1 Gram of a Carb = 4 Calories
    1 Gram of a Protein = 4 Calories
    1 Gram of a Fat = 9 Calories

Calories are the energy that we obtain from the food.

Not sure that will help but I found that very interesting.

Eve
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    About 3,500 calories adds up to about 1 pound. This applies whether they are food calories coming in, or calories (burned by exercise) going out.

If you eat 3,500 calories more than your body needs, you will put on about 1 pound. If you use up 3,500 calories more than you eat, you will lose about 1 pound in weight.
  • charley078
    charley078 Posts: 48 Member
    For under $10.00 u can go to Target or Walmart and invest in a pedometer that reads calories.... The 1st day I wore it was an off day ( no work, n0 gym) just did my usual stuff, and in those 16 hrs I was awake, I burned 650 calories, just doing the usual.... so yes, even though u are aren't working out, u are still burning calories,like my dr.said " make sure u have it in the right position or it won't read each step" oh & wash ur own car, it's amazing what u burn.... they also have one that reds ur BMI while ur working out, but my friend says it's not very comfortable to use while working out.........
  • sanlin20
    sanlin20 Posts: 73 Member
    bren6536:
    To answer your question, all of us burn more calories than BMR through our daily chores. Check out the Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity under your Goals. Myfitnesspal estimates that number based on how active you are (i.e. your input when your account was created).
This discussion has been closed.