Calling all vegetarians

Options
2»

Replies

• Soopermomma
    Soopermomma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My 7 bean chili is a hit, I make brown rice seperately and add it to the mix. No one even notices that it has no meat.
  • h653uv
    h653uv Posts: 5
    Options
    I too read that book, and it is a true eye opener. I wish more people would read it, then I'll bet we would have more choices available to us in the supermarkets. Unfortunately I live in a rural area and have to travel quite a way to get any decent vegetarian options. My kids love the soy chicken tenders. I think they are made by Morningstar Farms, if not them then they are made by Boca. They have no idea they are eating soy. A great book to chech out is Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. She adds fruits and vegies to ordinary recipies. They may not all be vegetarian friendly, but worth a try.
    One other recipie that I really like and so do my kids...
    Take a can of black beans and put the entire can into a blender with the liquid, blend until smooth then add to a box of brownie mix. Bake as directed on the box. No other ingredients are needed. They are delicious, and very moist. I dust some powdered sugar on top. Just do not overindulge since they are made with Black beans :)
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I had some Deli Style Veggie Protein Slices, Roast Turkey Style. They are made from soy and probably way too processed but 4 slices is 100 calories and 13g of protein. I eat meat but eat like a vegetarian on Wednesdays as a way to look for healthier options. Congrats on going Vegetarian. Another options would be to try protein shakes I know a lot of people mix the powder into smoothies ect.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you went vegetarian, if it was by choice or someother reason. I went back in 2000 because I don't like the taste of meat. So, for me...the foods that taste like meat and are made for vegetarians, don't cut it for me.

I would also agree with the b12 vitamin. I'm taking Stress Tabs to get that vitamin. You can get that from some veggies, but I don't remember what ones...maybe kale?

I started taking super whey protien shots from Body Fortress. You can get them at Walmart for 1.94 each(if I remember right). I mix it in with my glass of orange benefiber (really about 2 glasses) so I get 26 grams of protein and also about 8 grams of fiber all at once:) I used to eat cottage cheese but it was SOOO high in sodium! I have high blood pressure, so I had to cut that one out.

Good luck!
  • mathergirl
    mathergirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    quorn is available in the US too. I love the quorn chicken. Only 80 cals. Per serving. I eat it every day.