P90X Advice

Options
Hey everyone. I've heard nothing but great things about P90X, but I have to admit I'm a little overwhelmed from all the talk about it. I've committed myself to starting it the beginning of March. I just installed a chin-up/pull-up bar in my basement and bought a yoga mat. I'll be getting resistance bands and pushup assists next week.

My friend gave me the discs but I hate to admit I suck at understanding written instructions. Is there a certain regimen to follow? Do I go though a whole disc then go on to the next one? Is there and actual timeline that I'm missing? Does he cover it in the DVDs?

I'm looking to go from my current weight at around 180 to the low 160s. Any advice you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

Replies

• jaybaileys
    Options
    Ask your buddy for the p90x manual it explains what order to do the discs and has full explanations of the excercises. If you don't have that it will be tough to do the program. Also I would want the nutrition guide that comes with it. It tells you how to calculate calories and what to eat. It also changes the diet up each month as you progress. It is an awesome program and if you stick with it and the diet should get great results. My first 90 days I lost 25 lbs and 4 inches from my waist. Good luck and Bring It!
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You do not do the discs in numerical order. The way it works is basically a weekly rotation followed by a non lifting week. Week 1 Day 1 is Chest & Back w/ Abripper, Day 2 Plyometrics, Day 3 Shoulders & Arms w/ Ab ripper, Day 4 Yoga, Day 5 Legs & back w/ Ab ripper, Day 6 Kenpo, Day 7 rest or stretch. You repeat that for the first 3 weeks. Week 4 is a combo of other things. Week's 5-6 have another combination, etc. You need the worksheets. You can get them off the beachbody website or from a number of other sources on th web. Could also get an app for your phone. I personally use 90Droid for android phones.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    go online, the calendar and the diet is all on there...or ask a beachbody coach, there's tons on this site...edorice is a coach, ask her
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I would agree with what you NEED before you start, if you want to be successful in finishing the entire program. The fitness and nutrition guides are just as important as the discs, if not more. Can you get your hands on those from your friend?

I have some information I posted on P90X: http://bit.ly/WhatisP90X. And yes, I'm a Coach too, but only here to help if need be. You can have success with it and reach your goals...just have to be prepared before you dive in.

Best of luck
  • mayeuxj
    Options
    You guys rock! Thanks for the great advice! I shall keep you all aprised of the upcoming drama that is me losing weight.

BRING IT!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    The classic P90x workout plan looks like this:

Weeks 1, 2, and 3

Day 1 – Chest and Back, plus Ab Ripper X

Day 2 – Plyometrics

Day 3 – Shoulders and Arms, Ab Ripper X

Day 4 – Yoga X

Day 5 – Legs and Back, Ab Ripper X

Day 6 – Kenpo X

Day 7 – Rest or X Stretch

The p90x workout schedule for week 4 is supposed to be a recovery week after hitting it hard six days a week for three weeks.

P90x Workout Plan Week 4

Day 1 – Yoga X

Day 2 – Core Synergistics

Day 3 – Kenpo X

Day 4 – X Stretch

Day 5 – Core Synergistics

Day 6 – Yoga X

For week 5 the P90x workout schedule changes yet again.

P90X Workout Plan Weeks 5, 6, 7

Day 1 – Chest, Shoulders and Triceps, Ab Ripper X

Day 2 – Plyometrics

Day 3 – Back and Biceps, Ab Ripper X

Day 4 – Yoga X

Day 6 – Kenpo X

Time to kick back to another recovery phase week for week 8

P90x Calendar Week 8 (Recovery Phase)

Day 1 – Yoga X

Day 3 – Kenpo X

Day 4 – X Stretch

Day 6 – Yoga X

The following workout program appears in Weeks 9 and then again in Week 11

Day 1 – Chest and Back, Ab Ripper X

Day 2 – Plyometrics

Day 3 – Shoulders and Arms, Ab Ripper X

Day 4 – Yoga X

Day 6 – Kenpo X

Day 7 Rest or X Stretch

Here’s the P90X Calendar for Weeks 10 and 12

Day 1 – Chest, Shoulders and Triceps, Ab Ripper X

Day 2- Plyometrics

Day 3 – Back and Biceps, Ab Ripper X

Day 4 – Yoga X

Day 6 – Kenpo X

P90X Workout Schedule Week 13 (Final Week)

Day 1 – Yoga X

Day 3 – Kenpo X

Day 4 – X Stretch

Day 6 – Yoga X

As you can see, the P90X workout schedule has you working out six days a week for 13 weeks, for about an hour to an hour and a half each workout.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    This group is starting Monday the 28th, feel free to join in.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/174564-new-round-of-p90x-starts-feb-28th-join-me
  • mayeuxj
    Options
    BTW, yes, I was able to get the fitness guide and booklet in PDF format (my friend's a computer guy, like myself... we hate paper). I will be looking over them the next few weeks.

Another hangup I'm having is this. Can I just eat healthy like what the nutrition guide recommends or do I have to get the shakes, powder and what not? That stuff's expensive.
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    You dont have to drink any protein shakes. I would get the rec. drink, Ive used it from day 1, over 2.5 years now. If youre worried about the money just take 1 scoop it lasts twice as long. If you want protein there are plenty of places to get bulk protein powder. I got a 5 pound tub for like 48 bucks with shipping. It has 80 servings, thats less than a buck per shake.
  • mayeuxj
    Options
    Alright, starting this thing tomorrow. Wish me luck! Thanks again for all your help.
  • jaybaileys
    jaybaileys Posts: 317
    Options
    Alright man good luck if you have any q's you can post here or message me if you like. Eat clean, push it during your workouts and get your rest. You can do it, just do your best.
  • mayeuxj
    mayeuxj Posts: 22
    Options
    Bad news and good news. Bad news is I have to delay starting P90X till next week due to my Reserve unit doing PT exercises this weekend and I don't want to kill myself. Good news is a little more prep time to read the guides and get a little more spun up before I get started. Silver linings, people :)
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    It will be there when you are ready, lol. Read over the nutrition guide and do your fit test. And then get ready for some pull ups and push ups, chest and back is a doozy.
  • mayeuxj
    Options
    I really excited to get started. I was skimming over some of the videos and getting myself pumped up. I'm gonna start it off Sunday evening after drill.
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    Good luck!
  • mayeuxj
    Options
    First workout is over (Chest/Back with Ab Ripper)! Wow, am I sore!
  • mayeuxj
    Options
    Day 2 - Plyometrics done! Woohoo!
  • mayeuxj
    Options
    Starting week 2 tonight. Wife has taken interest. More as it develops.
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    Keep pushin forward, what do you like about the workouts?
  • mayeuxj
    Options
    Chest and Back - tough. Very sore the next day.
    Plyometrics - equally tough. Legs were screaming afterwards.
    Shoulders and Arms - easy, because I was using light resistnace bands. Went to pick up heavy ones the next day.
    Yoga - my God, how do these people do these things. Easily the hardest one for me.
    Legs and Back - not that bad. Felt like I could do that for a while, but I did use low weights so that's why.
    Kenpo - pretty fun. Worked up a little sweat.
    Ab Ripper - fun and hard. Should be effective in getting rid of my gut.
    Stretch - my favorite, obviously. Felt really good afterwards

Toughest thing for me is the nutrition part. I don't know if I'm doing it right. Plus my wife's birthday was this weekend so I indulged a little. Felt guilty afterwards.