discouraged

Options
So I'm getting married May 28, and I've just recently started exercising and trying to get in shape about the beginning of the year. I'm 135 and want to get down to 120 by the wedding. I run about 5 days a week, (though I'm only up to about 1 mile each time) and I do a workout DVD every night. So far I've lost nothing! I feel better, but I don't see any results. Can't help but feel like I'm not accomplishing anything. Anyone else havin this feeling?

Replies

• kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    Sorry you are feeling discouraged. When you don't have as much weight to lose, it usually takes longer to lose. Also, it might help to open up your food diary so we could give you some pointers there.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I see you just joined the site. Have you been watching what you eat? I know a lot of people tend to think that when they exercise it means they can eat what they want, and that's not true at all. I'm not saying you're doing this, but it's a common mistake, so I thought I would mention it. You still have enough time to get to your goal, or at least to get significantly closer to it, if you stick with it. You are getting health benefits from the exercise, even if you're not seeing it on the scale. So, stick with it and if you're not tracking your eating, start doing that and you should see results!
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I will tell you this right off the bat....the SCALE is your enemy!! Just because you are not losing pounds doesnt mean you are not slimming down. I have lost almost 4% body fat and can wear clothes I havent had on in 2 years yet I have only lost a half a pound. So dont let the scale scare you away. Take measurements more then weight. Also take some pictures of yourself now and again each week and see if there are changes in the way you look. Stick with it also upping your protein and fiber will help. Increase your protein to a gram per pound of weight a day that will help you lean out.

GOOD LUCK! and CONGRATS!
  • miss_melissa_
    Options
    How long ago did you start exercising? I can't see you food log but I would say to up your water intake. Also watch out for sodium. I tried exercising by myself for months and saw no changes. I didn't see results until i joined a bootcamp. If you can find a fitness bootcamp in your area, I would strongly suggest you join. There are a lot of brides and bridesmaids in mine. Anyways congratulation on your wedding and keep the faith. Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • JMuzzy
    JMuzzy Posts: 63
    Options
    If you make your food diary public to friends it will be easier to see if you have some dietary things going on (because the exercise part sounds great!). Before I started MFP I totally overestimated my calorie burn and overate to compensate what I thought I had burned off.... maybe this is you, too?
    Don't be discouraged! You will reach your goal, there is a ton of support on this website :flowerforyou:
    Jennie
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been watching what I eat. I don't snack anymore, I eat breakfast and drink only water. I've cut out all junk food and only have one helping at meals, never take seconds. I don't really take the time to fill out the food diary on here!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat! Did you happen to take any measurements before you started? If not, do you notice any changes in the way your clothes fit? With adding more exercise you may see a difference there before you see it on the scale.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thats kind of the point of the site...

If you're not eating enough that will also seriously hamper your weight loss. Thats why logging your food and exercise on here is so helpful, not only to tell you when you're over eating but also when you really ought to be eating more.

I don't really take the time to fill out the food diary on here!
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    I've been watching what I eat. I don't snack anymore, I eat breakfast and drink only water. I've cut out all junk food and only have one helping at meals, never take seconds. I don't really take the time to fill out the food diary on here!

I strongly recommend taking the taime and logging all of your food and exact amounts. you say you cut out junk food etc but you will be surprised how many calories you are still consuming in those one helping meals.
  • PennySoto
    PennySoto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe changing your workout will help. Keep your head up

5488473.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    What KIND of exercises are you doing? Most women have a fear of any type of weight or strength training because they're afraid they'll bulk up and look manly so they only do cardio...and that is SO wrong!! You're heart will be in perfect condition, but you won't see the physical results you're wanting. Weight/strength training builds muscle which WILL add a few extra pounds, but your muscle is what really burns the fat. I would recommend taking a look at your exercise routine and maybe do 3 days of running and 3 days of weight training on alternate days, then rest one day. Also look at your diet and make sure you're getting enough protein and fiber. Your muscles will need protein as you strengthen and tone them and the fiber will help your digestive system to stay on track and flush out all the unnecessary stuff.

Since you don't really have a whole lot of weight to lose, it is going to be harder for you. Try looking at Bill Philips' Body For Life website...I think you're a good candidate for his method of working out.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Alright, starting tomorrow I will log everything I eat. Along with running, I've been doing workout DVDs at night. I did 30 day shred for awhile but then got bored so now I'm doing Beachbody Insanity.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options

You are missing the main point of the website. Perception and what you really eat are often off. If you are not logging your intake, you have lost 2/3 of the tools here to help you. It's more about food, what kind of food, and calories than you might imagine until you start putting it in regularly.

Try it for a couple weeks. I think you will find that you aren't eating like you are thinking you are. It gets easier because it remembers your foods, you can put in recipe's. It's a pain, but it's really pretty important.
  • skippy37
    skippy37 Posts: 23
    Options
    I totally agree. Now I log everything I put in my mouth. And I dont estimate. I look up every food, condiment and drink. It has helped me alot and today the scales actually moved down. Its all about calories in (and what kind) and calories out. HAGD
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You don't have a lot to lose. Just do the best you can, but remember, your overall health will improve, skin, hair, etc. when you eat a healthy diet. Nobody that comes to your wedding will see the number on the scale, but they will see how beautiful you are cause you take care of yourself. They'll remember your glow, so don't stress out. When things don't go perfect at a wedding, the only ones who know are you and a few family members, but so what, the guests never knew and they had a fun time celebrating your day. And when you get to be 53 years old like me, you'll look back at your wedding pictures and say, wow I looked pretty great that day, what was I worried about. This is a special time, enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist and trainer I work out with if we dont bring our food diary to class with us we have to do 100 mountain climbers.. It is very important to track everything you put in your body.. That way you can dial in what you need to take out that may be causing you to maintain you weight.