The Best Fat Busting Exercise???

Options
Hi there! I've been with MFP for a while now, and find that it really helps me stay motivated. However, I was wondering what people's opinions were on what's the best (most efficient) exercise to do the reduce actual body fat? I have a very long joureny ahead of me, and I guess I want to shorten it a bit! Thanks :-)))

Replies

• musicsunlight
    musicsunlight Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try Zumba it's fun and you can burn about 600 calories per class.
  • jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    Options
    Good question. I've been a little nervous as I've read two conflicting reports on belly fat..I've read that build muscle/burn fat but I sure as heck don't want to trap any fat on my belly either..I need tips for losing my stomach as I still look pregnant :grumble:
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    there is no one particular exercise that helps burn fat. Its how hard you actually do the exercise that matters...
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have been told that a good cardio work out is always good for fat burning. Most ellipticals and/or treadmills have a fat burning program on them.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Running/jogging worked the best for me. I started walking which helped and as I felt stronger/healthier I incorporated running into the mix. Zumba is great fun too!
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Might sound too easy but Running and when I say running I mean running not walking or a slow jog. Also your diet is going to help lose body fat so be careful what you eat
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    you have to practice to get good and i've been playing for about 6 years. But dance dance revolution is my absolute favorite way to burn! and there are so many songs!
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    RUNNING!

Get your heart rate up as high as you can, and keep going! Try an interval workout on the treadmill. Burns the most calories!
  • TennisLoveGirl
    TennisLoveGirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me the best way I've been burning fat is my elliptical (between 30-40 minutes 3x week) or spinning class at the gym (2 one hour classes a week). If you combine cardio work-outs with some resistance training (weights) then your metabolism will get an extra boost and you will continue to lose fat even after you work out. Good luck!
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Good question. I've been a little nervous as I've read two conflicting reports on belly fat..I've read that build muscle/burn fat but I sure as heck don't want to trap any fat on my belly either..I need tips for losing my stomach as I still look pregnant :grumble:

It's impossible to "trap" fat on your body. You're not going to build muscle and have fat get stuck underneath it. Fat develops over top of muscle. The more you burn, the more it disappears...Anything that gets you moving. It's more of a personal preference than one being best. I really like Zumba, I like Insanity, I love to go running and to be honest strength training is going to be a big help in toning up and getting rid of the fat. For me I prefer variety. You work more muscles and you don't get bored, which keeps me motivated to work out every day.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    When you exercise you burn calories which in turn will burn fat. You want to do the best exersise for you to get your heartrate up and keep it there for as long as you can. As you get used to the exercise you will then need to do more or increase the intesity to keep your heart rate up. Your heart is a mucsle too. If you walk you will eventually get used to walking, you will need to go farther or faster.

When you build muscle your mucsle will burn more calories while you are exercising and while you are resting. The goal is to burn more calories than you take in so your body will burn fat.

I do the c25k and just started doing 30 day shred. I am 2.5 months in.

You need to start doing anything you can. you should get your HR up to the point where you can talk but not sing. If you can talk and are breathing heavy you are good. If you can't talk you are going too hard, if you can sing you are going to light. You want to get some good HR activity. You should get into that can't talk kind of workout once or twice a week, but for the most part you want the fat burning heart pumping kind if kick.

Best wishes.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The best exercise to burn fat is a cardio exercise that will maintain your heart rate to 80-85% of your maximum target heart rate for a sustained period of time of minimum 30 minutes.

Keeping your heart rate at that level will burn the most fat. The exercise you chose can be the eliptical, runnig, biking etc, it doesn`t matter, sustained high hearth rate is the key.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Some nice early morning spinning sessions.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options

Nope. that is incorrect. Fat is ABOVE the muscles. Muscle burns fat. Does that make sense?
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My favorite fat burning exercises are running (you dont have to run very fast to burn and you can take walk breaks until you increase your endurance too!), Tae Kwon Do, Insanity DVDs and Billy Blanks Tae Bo DVDs. I hear Zumba dance is excellent too... but haven't had an opportunity to try it out yet. I also just bought Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zonesand Banish Fat Boost Metabolism because they are 40 min long and thus will burn more calories.
  • jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    Options
    Thanks ya'll, I shall continue on my long journey!
  • SCAR25
    SCAR25 Posts: 1
    Options
    Zumba is amazing you can burn from 600 to 1000 calories in an hour class you gotta make sure you push yourself and work as hard as you can!!!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll, I shall continue on my long journey!

I have been at this a year now. Everyday I am still "I didn't know that!" :noway: :laugh:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It's misleading to say muscle burns fat... increasing lean body mass (i.e. building muscle), increases your basal metabolic rate and that IN TURN aids fat loss.
  • patrickkallie
    Options
    For me it's more of a combination of doing different exercises. Combining cardio with weight training has been a winning combination for me. I try to do workouts that are based around using my core muscles. Has this worked for any one else?