plantar fasciitis and another foot question

Options
I had plantar fasciitis so bad - NOthing helped it and I could barely walk all day. Well I sucked it up and 3 days after going to the gym I had no more pain. I was just doing the elliptical for 30 minutes. Well after 2 weeks I decided I wanted to do more than just the elliptical. I have been doing both the elliptical and the treadmill for a week now and my heel pain is back with a vengence. I can hardly walk when I get up in the morning. Should I quit the treadmill for now? Does anyone have any suggestions to stop the pain/

The other foot question is this - my feet both of them fall asleep when I am on the elliptical about 20 minutes into the workout. At first I thought my shoes were too tight so I loosened the laces and they still fall asleep

Replies

• JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I actually developed plantar fasciitis ON the elliptical. My podiatrist told me it came from a combination of age and lack of stretching. So I would say at a minimum that you make sure you stretch properly before doing either the elliptical or the treadmill.

For me, I wound up getting shoe inserts from the podiatrist and finally I'm able to get back on those torture machines! LOL.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I would definately recommend going to see a podiatrist. You can get a shot of cortisone and that will help a lot. They could also get you orthotics if you need them, and that might help with the pain. As far as your feet falling asleep, that could be your shoes. I had the same problem and I realized that even though my shoes felt ok, they were actually a bit too small. Good luck!!
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Options
    Go see your Doctor about the Plantar and numbing of your feet. Plantar needs to heal, your doctor will know the best remidies for you. Good Luck and speedy recovery.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I've had PF for almost 3 years. The only thing that's helped me is Sports Med and taping. Now I'm marathon training :)
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    What helped me the most is good heel and arch inserts for my shoes. I do both the elliptical (yes, my feet fall asleep and the only thing that helps me is routinely moving them around in the pedal area) and treadmill running as well as trail running. The inserts I currently use are about 8 bucks a pair and only support the heel and arch, I don't even have to remove the regular shoe liner. I have found them in the foot care area of Wal Mart and Target, as well as Walgreens. They are inexpensive enough that I have them in several pairs of shoes, including my cleets (softball). I also I make sure I massage and stretch my feet and arches after impact workouts, it only takes a few minutes and my feet feel much better for it. I am not a podiatrist, but it's what has helped me.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    How old are your shoes and did you get 'fitted' at a store? I haven't had the fasciitis but did have the issue with falling asleep. I went to a local running shop and was fitted for a pair of running shoes. Ahhh! Big difference. The first pair I purchased at the shop and have since found them online...I'm on my 3rd pair since then. Also, take a little time to check out your form while on the treadmill. Google good running form and some of those tips might help in the long run.
  • allie_00
    allie_00 Posts: 73
    Options
    I have mild plantar fasciitis that was caused by over pronation or having flat feet. I have orthotics now and it's pretty much gone away. I will say that a running/walking on a treadmill is probably one of the highest impact cardio workouts you can do. How about a stationary bike? I would imagine that would be a little easier. My feet also feel a little funny after being on an elliptical for a while. My toes almost go numb. I'm not quite sure why. Lol. Even though you may be a little bored with the elliptical, it has much less impact and is definitely a lot easier on your feet.
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    I agree with others that you should get that check up. When I have problems with my feet at the gym I found it was from doing one piece of equipment for too long a time. Now I switch machines throughout my workout and it has really helped. I am still getting the same calorie burn/cardio, just in smaller time groupings on each piece of equipment. I also use a foot bath at night to give my feet some pampering :)
  • nanmosta1
    nanmosta1 Posts: 55
    Options
    I have plantar fascitis as well. The treadmill is probably not helping it. My doctors recommend I use a bicycle or swimming for exercise. It does help tremedously to use the shoes with curved bottoms like sketchers, where you take the pressure off your heels. These have saved my life. Also tape your arches before you exercise helps as well. I wish there was a magical solution. I miss running so much, but learning to like the exercise bike instead. The doctor told me once you have fascitis you always are in danger of recurrence, and each time it's harder to get rid of. If you figure out why the feet go numb, I would be interested to know as that use to happen to me when I walked. It might well be the shoes, as it doesn't happen know with the sketchers
  • mamabear74
    Options
    Have a history of the same issues - PF and numbness. The numbness is usually a nerve getting compresses somewhere b/c of the PF itself or repetitive motion. Streching the feet/heels/legs is a MUST! You can get some great exercises online for foot strengthening. Or go to your local PT office and ask them to print out some excercises for you. Arch supports and taping are a big help as are properly fitted shoes. You don't have to get an expensive shoe, just make sure it is well made with good support and shock absorption. Finally, the higher the impact exercise, the worse it will aggravate your foot - esp while it is still weak - so do lower impact at least for now. Good luck!
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    I would definately recommend going to see a podiatrist. You can get a shot of cortisone and that will help a lot. They could also get you orthotics if you need them, and that might help with the pain. As far as your feet falling asleep, that could be your shoes. I had the same problem and I realized that even though my shoes felt ok, they were actually a bit too small. Good luck!!
    I agree. I had the same shoe problem and found out that I actually needed a wide instead of regular. Took care of the problem.:bigsmile:
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    Options
    Its a catch 22! He told me to take advil and lose weight - well I am trying to lose weight but its hard to exercise when you cant move LOL It has gotten alot better I do wear inserts so maybe I will just hold off on the treadmill for a while. I am 305 lbs now (was 333) so maybe in 20 more pounds I can try again.
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi
    There are many things you can do to treat your plantar fasciitis. I had plantar fasciitis for about a year and I discovered that treatment is individual. Things that work for one will not always work for the other. The good news is that you have many treatments you can try but you must be persistent and patient.
    I have found a good plantar fasciitis treatment review website in:
    http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/How_is_Plantar_Fasciitis_Treated.html
    There are many self care treatments ideas in there but I think you should consult a podiatrist before you do something. Maybe both of your foot problems are connected?
    The best cardio exercise for someone with plantar fasciitis is swimming and riding a bicycle. I used to run and I got plantar fasciitis so I started to swim and cycle. Today I’m better with my PF so I ended up as a triathlete.
    Take care