Ice Skating Coach - Calories Burnt?

Options
Hi All,

I love MFP but I cannot find anything to help me work out what calories i burn when im coaching...

It's not as vigorous as football coaching but i am on my feet for hours on end and demonstrate jumps and spins and chase after pupils to get them skating faster.

Surely it's worth putting something down?

I work 12.5 hours on the ice currently at the weekends, that must burn something!?! :indifferent:

Replies

• marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    there is ice skating in the database just use one of those that best describes what you do.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Or, put your activity level as 'very active'.
  • kimbaclay
    kimbaclay Posts: 81
    Options
    Im not constantly skating though

And i have a office job during the week :/
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    The activity levels are set a lot lower than you'd expect. 'Lightly Active' is light exercise/sports three times a week, and I'd say you'd easily hit that from 12.5 hours of skating a week.

If it's not a regular thing though, then yeah, put it down as 'ice skating'. If you don't feel you're doing as much as a coach as you would if you were doing it for exercise, then cut the time down, or lower the calories slightly.
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Why don't you use ice skating 9mph or less and put in less minutes than you teach.

If you skate for say 1/4 of the time you are on the ice just put in a 1/4 of your lesson minutes.
  • kimbaclay
    kimbaclay Posts: 81
    Options
    Fab ideas! Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I use the "ice skating, general" category. I figure what a coach does is the equilivant to what someone would do at a general public skating session.

I go out once a week to skate with an older gentleman (we're talking 80--major inspiration) so I'm moving most of the time since I dance with him. If I feel it was a particularly "slow" session, like last week, I just cot back on the time I input.
  • hazeldodson
    Options
    I know its been a while since this question was asked, but i was searching for the same answer and this is how i calculate it for myself.

I count 5 minutes of each lesson given towards cardio exercise.

Then i use this calculator on spark people to calculate calories burned based on my weight.
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=30

Example, I teach 8 skating lessons on Mondays, so i multiplied 8 x 5 minutes to get a total of 40 minutes of exercise. Using the calculator i burn a minimum of 302 calories (based on my weight 148 lbs) if i am more active in a lesson, i increase my minutes.

Now i find I'm more hands on when teaching because I see it as another opportunity to be active! This benefits both me and the skater!
    Happy teaching and burning calories!