Anybody else around here is NOT a gym or exercices routine t

Options
Anybody else around here is not a gym or exercices type of person?

...am I the only one here trying to loose weight but NOT going to the gym, or NOT doing an exercices prog?
No DVD, no routine, nothing.

Years ago I was member of a gym but finally decided workout are not ME...it just felt odd. Strange.
I like games. I like to play and have fun.

So instead I try having a brisk walk almost everyday. I try to play ping pong on breaks. I want to go swim and play tennis this summer. I also want to hike in NH this summer (Mnt Lafayette is amazing) and go mountain biking...
I do like dancing and Yoga. But I don't even count that in my exercices, I see that as exercises for the soul.

I know lot of friends told me working out at the gym is like a game for them but really it wasn't my thing...

So am I alone here? Anybody else?

So, anybody else's here exercising

Replies

• TanyaLee122175
    TanyaLee122175 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I have a gym membership to Planet Fitness and for awhile I would go but I just couldnt stay motivated to go.. now I get in waht walking excercise I can. I never thought of thinkin g of the gym as a game... may have to try that.. but ur not alone
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Try just walking around your neighborhood. Or going for a bike ride. Set a destination that's a little further away, go and come back.
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I hiked up Mt. Sunapee last 4th of July! It's a good hike!
  • h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    You're definitely not alone! I have an elliptical at home but have a really hard time using it. I'm a soccer player and have two kids who keep me on my toes so I'm definitely with you in the 'play' department!
  • wyheel
    wyheel Posts: 7
    Options
    That would be me. I walk. About 3 miles a day, sometimes mixing walking and jogging. Always a brisk pace, but with a 10 minute slowdown at the park for my dogs to have fun!
  • jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    Options
    I can't afford the extra cost of a gym and I hate working out, but I'm trying to make this a real thing this time. I walk around the neighborhood and also do different videos,Zumba etc. I have alot to lose, so I have to push extra hard. Good luck to you!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not needed for weight loss, no. You can lose weight without it. But dieting causes lean muscle mass loss along with fat loss and when we say we want to lose weight we really mean we want to shed fat.

Strength training/weight lifting and getting good amounts of protein will stop this. And more lean muscle mass means a higher metabolism and that means more fat burning during rest, normal daily activity and while sleeping. (A good balance of strength and cardio is best).

Link in my signature: "An email response that might help some..."; TrainerRobin explains it very, very nicely.

I don't always enjoy exercise. Weight loss is 80% diet (and what you eat is as important as how much). The exercise will let you eat more and still lose.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge exercise fan, but I do what I need to do to get the weight off and to be healthy.

I don't exactly fit into your category because I do go to the gym and do have a routine.... but I don't exactly enjoy it all of the time, either!*LOL*

Shannon
  • judes91
    judes91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have the extra money for a gym so I walk at work on both of my 15 minute breaks. I also have an elliptical machine at home that I finally started using the last 2 weeks (it's been years since I went on it). Dancing totally counts as great exercise too if I am out drinking I definetly dance to try and work off the extra calories I am consuming from the liquor. I lost 6 pounds this week and I know it is because I did some form of exercise every day this past week.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Working out is not nearly as fun as biking, climbing, swimming, hiking, et cetera. Sometimes, what you want to accomplish physically requires you to supplement those "pure" and "natural" exercises with artificial training.

Weight lifting once or twice a week will probably make you perform better and have more fun at those other sports, but it's definitely not necessary if you get plenty of other athletic activity in!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    No you'e not alone, I hate gyms - and when I read the countless blogs and threads on this site with people complaining about them, I'm glad I don't!

I have started walking though, in my lunchbreaks (that way it doesn't feel like that much effort), I go for about 40/50 minutes, iPod on with fast music and I'll do about 5k. I do feel better for it, I'm a LOT fitter already than I was. And of course a few extra calories earned is an extra bonus!

Oh wait, I nearly forgot!! I actually do pilates once a week - and I love it! Best of it, it doesn't make you sweat (very much) and my tummy definitely is flatter because of it.
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am not a gym person, for a couple of reasons, mainly cost and time (mother of two little kids). But even if I had the means, I am not sure I would. It is really hard for me to work out indoors. However, I am doing the Jillian Michael's DVD'S and I have the Wii Fit and EA Active for the Wii as well. Can't wait for spring to start getting outdoors!!
  • celestial_girl
    Options
    I'm the same, I kept buying gym memberships and would be faithful for about the first 2-3 weeks - after that the novelty wore off. I wasn't seeing any type of progress so I eventually stopped going after 1 month. I don't mind weights, I just hate doing cardio! To me it's boring going on an eliptical or treadmill, even if I have some sort of stimulus (tv, mp3s, magazines).

I was never much into sports, but I do love dancing and have taken classes. I do count it towards my exercise because I have seen physical benefits. It's easier to get moving and motivated when you're doing activities you really like and don't think of as "exercise"!
  • Steph_Marie29
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, but I do have an execrsie routine.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    You can look in my signature and see that I've lost a good chunk of weight. The great thing about it is that most of it came off outside of the gym or any exercise DVD. I spent a good chunk of the summer of 2010 hiking around Northern Utah and that is where I burned the calories that lost me the majority of my weight. Some strength training could be done to build muscle, which burns more calories than fat does, but the real key is to get moving and to eat well. Keep doing what you're doing and the results will come!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i'm not a gym person nor one for work outs but my body needs it so i'm doing c25k and thirty day shred. i try to follow the routines but not daily. i have 10 to 20 more pounds to lose for me feel like i reached my goal and as others have said, i'm gonna do what i have to to get the body i want.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am soooo not a gym or exercise routine person; AT.ALL. Self-motivation is definitely not my strong suit! LOL And I have had prior weight loss successes on programs like Weight Watchers, only to drop out after I've lost 10 lbs or so. Seems like I am willing to settle for "good enough". So, after seeing at least 6 of my friends and acquaintances experience AWESOME results from a local personal trainer, I decided to bite the bullet and hire her as well. Probably the singular best thing I have ever done for myself!! I would NEVER push myself as hard as she does and I felt like she "got me" from our first meeting.

I'm not saying that a personal trainer is for everyone and I really think you have to have a connection with the one you hire to have it be successful (at least for people like me who need some external motivation). I also have some other reasons for exercising besides physical; mentally, I feel sooo much better when I do exercise.
  • debbiemacfarlane
    debbiemacfarlane Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I haven't joined a gym. No interested in that in the least. I live in Canada so right now we are just starting to lose the winter snow. I love the outdoors fishing and camping and such.

I downloaded several different types of workouts and pick and choice what I am in the mood for. Zumba is fun and brings out the dancing fool I can be. I do Tae Bo videos if I feel like sweating it out. I don't care for yoga like many people do but that is just me.

Hiking is great exercise and walking as well. I enjoy variety. Going to buy a bike for the summer and maybe some roller blades as well.

I juggled with the whole exercise thing when I started MFP. I worked out three times a week for the first three weeks and lost about 3lbs a week. The four week I lost 1 lbs and worked out once. The following week I didn't work out at all and gained 2lbs. I was still watching and being careful not to go over on calories.

I don't think it matters what you do so much as doing something.... anything. You have to be happy getting physical or you are not going to want to stick to it.

Seeing my progress with and without exercise has motivated me to exercise. I am stuck inside right now due to the winter so I am doing videos but summer is coming fast. Time to get outside and walk, bike, hike, swim and have some outdoor fun.
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    I've tried several different gyms and have come to the same conclusion. I'm not a gym person. I don't like exercise classes either. I do like yoga and zumba and such but I get DVDs from my library and teach myself at home. The only thing i do alot of is walking. I have a chocolate lab whose always up for a walk, no matter the time or if its short or long!! I also listen to a book on my ipod so i have something to look forward to as well. I just started using weights while walking so i'll havta let you know how that goes!
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym regularly, but when I switched to a compressed work schedule (10 hours x 4 days a week) a few years ago I had to give it up because I no longer had time to go. Weekday mornings for the past year I've been walking a full rotation around my apartment complex (about 2.25 miles), and when the weather is bad I do Leslie Sansone's 3-mile workout DVD. When I signed up for MFP last week I saw that my routine was ok for maintaining my weight, but not enough to lose (which is why I'm here). So starting this morning I've added a half-rotation to the walk, which brings me to about 3.25 miles. I was none the worse for wear and probably could have gone further but I had to get ready for work.

As far as motivation, seeing how much better I look and feel makes me want to keep up with this. It's to the point where if I miss a workout because of travel or an early meeting I actually get mad.