Not your Average Fitness Instructor

Options
I'm really interested in becoming a fitness instructor part time, purely because I get such a buzz from high energy classes and know I could lead a class no problem - anyway, I have the opportunity to do my 'Spinning Instructor' Course next month.

HOWEVER..... I am not the average 'fitness instructor' material. I'm 5ft nothing, with short legs and medium build - not skinny in the slightest. However I know I am fit, training at least 4 times a week and also in training for a 400km cycle across Kenya next year.

So... honest opinions please.... know some people out there will be 'you should just follow your dream'.... but honest opinons please.... would you be happy at an aerobics class taught by someone not super-skinny and long legged?

Thanks

Replies

• thor9424
    thor9424 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    YES
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    The only time I have a problem with an instructor is if they are not putting in as much work as they require of the audience. So as long as you can push them and keep up, go for it! Good luck!
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think you should totally go for it!

The last few zumba classes I have gone to were taught by non-skinny instructors. I think they were more inspiring than anything else, and probably less intimidating than a super-thin instructor might have been.
  • sheadrick
    Options
    As long as you're working hard leading the class and are a good motivator, I say go for it. I think it would be inspiring to see someone leading class who isn't your classic stick thin/muscled trainer type. Good Luck!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I regularly go to eight different instructor's classes. All eight of them are very different in size, shape, and teaching size. I like them all for different reasons and it matters to me not if they are rail thin or heavy. As long as they can work the class and not run out of steam they are good by me. :)
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The only time I have a problem with an instructor is if they are not putting in as much work as they require of the audience. So as long as you can push them and keep up, go for it! Good luck!

Agreed. As long as you're putting in as much work (if not more) than the "students," I think it's great! Plus, I personally get tired of the super fit, skinny instructors... I mean, I'm sure they work hard to get/stay that way, but sometimes... Those folks never had to deal with truly being overweight. And if they don't "get it," then I don't value their advice/motivation nearly as much.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I am a spinning instructor and I am not skinny. Personally, I prefer an instructor that is actually doing the work out and trying with the rest of us. I remember the first spin instructor I had, but she never seemed to be trying. One time she jumped off to fill up her water bottle, so as a joke I turned up the resistance two full turns (2 resistance levels on those bikes). As far as I know, she never noticed the difference :noway:.
  • dansmith123
    Options
    You are there to instruct and motivate the people. I think most of non fit and flabby would actually prefer someone who isn't genetically perfect. Sometimes the super healthy and fit all their life types don't understand that we are not all 6 foot tall and enjoy soya shakes.

If you can cycle across Africa then that should be more inspiring to someone than a gym bunny.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    I don't think you need to be tall and skinny to instruct, you just have to be able to work at a fitness level to push people in the class and motivate them. One of my favorite spin instructors is shorter and not skinny but she is obviously in good cardio condition and I get a great workout in her class. Good luck!
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I take two fitness classes; one taught by a super skinny girl and one taught by a girl twice my size.

They are both in MUCH better shape than I am, and are equally nice/sweet. However, I find it more motivating to follow the bigger girl. Don't ask me why, but I know I work harder for her than I do for the skinny girl!! It's just proving you don't have to be a twig to do the workout.

I say go for it.
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Not all instructors are skinny , or tall. You shouldn't be worried about it. The class raport you develp is far more important.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in becoming a fitness instructor part time, purely because I get such a buzz from high energy classes and know I could lead a class no problem - anyway, I have the opportunity to do my 'Spinning Instructor' Course next month.

HOWEVER..... I am not the average 'fitness instructor' material. I'm 5ft nothing, with short legs and medium build - not skinny in the slightest. However I know I am fit, training at least 4 times a week and also in training for a 400km cycle across Kenya next year.

So... honest opinions please.... know some people out there will be 'you should just follow your dream'.... but honest opinons please.... would you be happy at an aerobics class taught by someone not super-skinny and long legged?

Thanks

I have a sister who didn't make to 5 ft. until the end of her junior year in high school (I'm 5' 7"). She was on the track team in junior high and believe it or not, she ran the HIGH hurdles! She was dedicated, she was fast and by golly, she could clear them! I've always found her zeal and fearlessness to be an inspiration - I'd take a class from an instructor like that any day!
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You should look into Turbo Kick!
  • ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I personal train, part time. I'm more involved with weight training then say circuit training, however, personally, I have found that when I'm 'bulking' or 'off-season', I tend to get more clients, because I visually appear bigger - people perceive the additional size as me practising what I preach (most of my clients look to put on muscle). When I am skinnier, or out of shape, no one really wants to know.

Now, I may get flamed for this BUT I DO believe image has a big part to play, having been involved in the fitness community for such a long time. We are all guilty of snap judgements and some people will want someone who looks the part. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone but it can effect your client base, sure.

I hope it works out for you! I do my PT after work and on weekends and I love it.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am not a super skinny (or even skinny) fitness instructor but I teach spin and aqua classes. If the class is good then its good... no matter what the instructor looks like. I did have one instructor I quit going to because she would wear shorts and a sports bra to cycle in and when she sat down on the bike we all had to stare at her rolls and it just irritated me. Other than that I don't care what they look like but they better have great music and they better challenge me!
  • PeterPan132
    Options
    Thanks Guys - appreciate all the responses!!