Tips for not cheating on weekends?

Options
Hi all-

New to MFP (joined in February) and every week I seem to do really well with my tracking, eating healthy, and going to the gym. Then, Saturday comes and I blow it all weekend (I ate yucky and had not one, but two root beer floats...). I tell myself, "this won't make a difference" in my progress and it always does :( Then, I feel like I'm starting all over on Monday.

Just looking for tips to staying motivated during the weekend and not going overboard with my "cheat day (or unfortunately in my case, days)".

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I really do not have any advice other than just don't do it. Do not allow yourself cheat days but only a single cheat meal. I'm sure I'll be criticized for saying this but seriously, you have to have the will power and the want to to make this work.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I have many good tips for watching it on the weekends because I kind of struggled with that, too. It's one of those things you just have to do...one of the discipline things...yuck!

My dietitian told me, though, not to be so down on myself when I have a "bad" day (or days in some cases). Don't focus on the pounds, because scales can be deceiving. You're not going to be perfect, so stop trying...the important thing is progress. It's also helped me to just quit buying the things I know tempt me. I'm not much of a snacker usually, but if there's sweet tea around, it's usually gone in no time. And I like it SWEET!

If you're a snacker, pack your fridge and pantry with healthy options. Buy veggies and cut them up into bite size pieces, put them in baggies or containers, and put them somewhere where you will see them when you open your fridge. Your eyes gravitate to whatever is easily accessible and ready to eat...make those things healthy things. And if you want a root beer float...have one...just don't have one every day...and when you do have one...just have a small one.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Why does this happen? Is it because you have no work on that day? Are you less structured? I work 5 days and attend school the other 2. I think this helps me keep 'on track' because I have no off days. It is hectic and crazy, but this is the reason I have a hard time understanding the problem with weekends. Weekends are just a label for another day in my world. Try to wake up at the same time, prepare your food in the same way you do during the week? Just imagine it as yet another day, because that is all it is!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Stay busy!! I make sure to go to the gym on BOTH Saturday and Sunday. And if you're going to have an indulgence, stop at 1 root beer float.... not 2. 2 is excessive. The biggest part of successfully losing weight is learning to modify your behavior. Allow yourself an indulgence, and be satisfied with it.... you don't have to eat all the ice cream and root beer til they're all gone.... save some for another day.
  • wmubuffettfan
    wmubuffettfan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    To help with this I purposely schedule both Saturday and Sunday morning as two of my major exercise days. I actually write it on my calendar and tell myself that I have to go. After working out in the morning I seem to have more motivation to stay on track the rest of the day. I was worried about the weekends when I started this, so thats why I set my schedule up that way and it really seems to be helping me.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. Especially when we have visitors or if anything spontaneous happens. I think the best we can do is try to plan meals ahead (even meals out. know what we are ordering before we get there, etc) and stick to the plan. You can even plan ahead for treats and stuff too.... but yeah portion control is paramount
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have found planning my meals out for the day helps, and if I go over I spend some time on the Wii Fit.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Track everything! That way, if you do cheat, you'll see it right there in front of you and you can't pretend it didn't happen! I log things before I eat them which really helps me decide if it's worth it or not!!!!

I agree with the others that I also workout on the weekends. I'm so busy all week I really need those two days to stay on track!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    On top of all the great advice you've already been given, here are some other things to think about:

1) Avoid all the usual weekend places that lure you with forbidden foods & beverages and find healthier places to go.

2) If you go out with friends who always seem to help you sabotage your weekly efforts, take a break from them until you get a handle on this or simply be honest and tell them you need their support and tell them how they can support you (firstly by avoiding taking you or helping you to avoid all the places that result in binges).

3) Always, always, always, always pack healthy convenient foods that you can carry with you when you are out.

4) Remind yourself every day why your goals are important to you.

5) Stop lying to yourself. Every decision you make matters and creates a difference in your life be it good or bad.

6) There is a reason why you self-sabotage and binge every weekend. You need to discover that reason. Therefore, start doing some internal psychological work on top of your physical exercise. A hint to get you started - it's usually associated to ideas of dieting and deprivation that tell you that because you worked so hard you can now afford to blow it.

7) Commit to a life-long lifestyle instead of a diet. You might want to think long and hard about why you exercise and eat healthy. What are the short-term and long-term benefits? Most people work towards the short-term and ignore the long-term.

Just some things to think about.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am a believer in writing is all down, in all it's ugly calories, so you can see it. Once you see how many calories are in some of the things you ate (and not just the root-beer float) you might realize it is not worth it. Some days it may be a realistic indulgence. Good luck. You can do this. Getting enough of the good fat (nuts and avocados) every day helps me too.
  • cheppy
    cheppy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also had a hard time with weekend because I saw the two days as my relaxing days (I work monday to friday ). I decided to make Saturday and sunday's my main exercise days and do some form of exercise that takes me out of the house like going to the beach. It helps to keep yourself busy so that you dont have too much time where you are sitting down with nothing to do. I do some volunteer work on most saturdays as well to occupy me.
  • haulinbuns
    haulinbuns Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Weekends are definately more challenging for me as well. I actually eat about 100 less calories a day during the week because I know I'll eat more on the weekend. I also plan to exercise both days of the weekend. I strive for a longer work out if we don't have many plans
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'd make one of the wekend day or evening a splurge meal one, this way tou have something to look forward to and you won't feel so bad about it. The only thing is you will have to gain some control to not binge for the rest of the day or days. You have to make a choice of whats really important to you, do you want to lose weight or not? You can do this, just believe in yourself!

I usually pick Friday night for my splurge meal and sometimes Saturday as well but I'm extremely careful what I eat the rest of the day, like if I know I will be going to Baja Fresh and having a Baja Steak Burrito somewhere around 1300 caloires, i will not eat much else leading up to that and I will also exercise. This seems to work for me but others may have different ways they treat their splurge meal. Good luck with this!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I fix it by not allowing myself 'cheat days'. They are not part of a sustainable healthy lifestyle. Why would you want to ruin all of your progress from the week over a weekend. Seems kind of silly and self destructive to me. If you really want this kind of change than you will be your own 'enforcer'. If you cannot police your own actions nobody else is going to do it for you.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I could have used some inspiration this weekend. Well, it started before the weekend! Although I did stay within my goals....I ate out on Thursday (Broccoli and Chicken), Friday (Applebee's 1/2 of the Dijon Portabella Mushroom Chicken: "from the <550 Menu"), Naked tenders from BW3's on Saturday (only 73 calories each and I had 4), and then today was my grandma's 85th birthday (but had roast turkey breast, no salt green beans, a small baked potato w/ only sauteed mushrooms and Molly McButter, angel food cake, and fruit salad). It all still made me feel very guilty, which I see as a good thing. If I didn't care what I ate, then I wouldn't have felt guilty. That is progress! My advice is go to the nearest computer or use your phone and enter in what you are going to eat BEFORE you eat it, not after. I had looked at the nutritional information for all those meals before I even got to the restaurant so I was not tempted to cheat. If you forget to check before, most restaurants will give you their nutritional info if you ask. I even already had my food diary filled out. That is what helps me. I also don't keep stuff I shouldn't eat at home. I donated all that stuff to my skinny neighbors and a food pantry. I hope these suggestions help!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    On top of all the great advice you've already been given, here are some other things to think about:

1) Avoid all the usual weekend places that lure you with forbidden foods & beverages and find healthier places to go.

2) If you go out with friends who always seem to help you sabotage your weekly efforts, take a break from them until you get a handle on this or simply be honest and tell them you need their support and tell them how they can support you (firstly by avoiding taking you or helping you to avoid all the places that result in binges).

3) Always, always, always, always pack healthy convenient foods that you can carry with you when you are out.

4) Remind yourself every day why your goals are important to you.

5) Stop lying to yourself. Every decision you make matters and creates a difference in your life be it good or bad.

6) There is a reason why you self-sabotage and binge every weekend. You need to discover that reason. Therefore, start doing some internal psychological work on top of your physical exercise. A hint to get you started - it's usually associated to ideas of dieting and deprivation that tell you that because you worked so hard you can now afford to blow it.

7) Commit to a life-long lifestyle instead of a diet. You might want to think long and hard about why you exercise and eat healthy. What are the short-term and long-term benefits? Most people work towards the short-term and ignore the long-term.

Just some things to think about.

Bump!! Thanks girlfriend!! :wink:

I think I can use this for my own weaknesses!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,263 Member
    Options
    I'd make one of the wekend day or evening a splurge meal one, this way tou have something to look forward to and you won't feel so bad about it. The only thing is you will have to gain some control to not binge for the rest of the day or days. You have to make a choice of whats really important to you, do you want to lose weight or not? You can do this, just believe in yourself!

I usually pick Friday night for my splurge meal and sometimes Saturday as well but I'm extremely careful what I eat the rest of the day, like if I know I will be going to Baja Fresh and having a Baja Steak Burrito somewhere around 1300 caloires, i will not eat much else leading up to that and I will also exercise. This seems to work for me but others may have different ways they treat their splurge meal. Good luck with this!

This works for me too! I believe we are making a lifestyle change and if we see it as a diet to lose weight as quickly as possible some of us may fail. I've been a yo yo dieter since college and always have gained it back due to my emotional eating and love of food (extra portions/sweets). There are many good suggestions offered to you from others on this same journey. Figure out what makes the most sense for your goals and lifestyle and give yourself a break, there will be good and bad days.

I believe I mentally need a cheat meal and I think the weekend is a good time to have it because then it can be a reward for doing well with my exercise and eating all week. Then I feel like I'm not being deprived of what others are eating and I can look forward to it. I also try to exercise at least one day of the weekend, sometimes two, unless one of my rest days falls on the weekend. Since eating on the weekends is your challenge, maybe planning some "fun" exercise with a friend or family member would help structure your time. Go swimming at the pool, roller skating, x-country skiing, etc. depending on where you live. After the fun activity and drinking some water you may not feel so hungry or inclined to eat the things you don't want to indulge in. Pack healthy snacks to eat during your activity if you get hungry.

Good luck and stay on MFP for the support we can give you. We all have challenges with this and are trying to get a handle on it or we wouldn't be on here.:flowerforyou:
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i am with you...weekends are my downfall; I am so good at structuring my meals during the week and when the weekend comes-yikes! I am continuing with my workouts and my goal the next two weekends is to structure my days like I would for the work week (snacks, lunch, breakfast, etc).
  • nomoremuffintopness
    nomoremuffintopness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Your welcome!! :-)