Good or Bad??

Options
Sausage?
Bacon?

OK, I hear all the time, sausage and bacon are soooo bad for you?? True or false?? I know there will be lots of opinions, falsehoods, rumors and truths. I just want to know.

It is so easy to get up in the morning and grab a few links, cook 'em up and go, but then I get heart burn from the fat....

What about the cholesterol??
What about the sodium??

Could those two things slow weight loss?

What about ham?? Pork in general. I really want to no, with no arguing please!!!!

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Sausage?
    Bacon?

OK, I hear all the time, sausage and bacon are soooo bad for you?? True or false?? I know there will be lots of opinions, falsehoods, rumors and truths. I just want to know.

It is so easy to get up in the morning and grab a few links, cook 'em up and go, but then I get heart burn from the fat....

What about the cholesterol??
    What about the sodium??

Could those two things slow weight loss?

What about ham?? Pork in general. I really want to no, with no arguing please!!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Ham, bacon and sausage are all pretty high in sodium. But occaisionally they won't hurt you. lean pork chops or pork tenderloin are probably the best pork choices... but I gotten say I LOVE a glazed ham.. yummy.
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    healthy for you? besides some protein, no.
    delicious? YES
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I like the Turkey Bacon and Turkey Sausage--still lots of sodium but less fat and other stuff.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to Morning Star Farms sausage patties... they are meatless, but you can't tell ;)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you're otherwise getting very little saturated fat in your diet, they'll actually be HEALTHY for you.

Oh my!!:laugh:

Saturated fat IS necessary to life. It's the only reason our cell membranes stay fluid and allow steroid hormones in and out. Cholesterol is used in hormone production--yes, you need THAT too. Just keep your sat. fats at about 30% of your total fat intake.

Sodium can cause water retention, which slows *weight* loss, but won't affect fat loss.
  • jsmalla
    jsmalla Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sausage?
    Bacon?

I wrap my sausage in bacon.

Excellent recipe! But I try to never exceed four . . . or five . . . per sitting . . . :noway:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Funny! I just posted some recipes today that contain both in the recipe section.

I agree with Sonbyrd. If in moderation and cutting where you can by using turkey bacon/sausage or the soy products...you should be ok!

I eat an occasional sausage or piece of bacon! I just don't overdo it!
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I like the Turkey Bacon and Turkey Sausage--still lots of sodium but less fat and other stuff.

I started eating the turkey bacon and don't find it too bad, BUT still love REAL bacon so much more...every time I smell it....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    I actually prefer turkey bacon... the whole piece is crunchy without having that grissly fat section (EW!) like you get on regular pork bacon.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I hear of so many people with high blood pressure, heart attacks and what not, it just really concerns me.....