Weigh In - How do you know it's real?

Options
I weigh myself in the morning and only really pay attention to the week-to-week number, but when should I actually log it in as weight loss? How can I be sure it's not water weight etc...?

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and only record the new lows. The trend overall is downward, with lots of bounces back up. But as long as the long term trend is going in the right direction, I'm happy.
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday but I consider saturday my "official" weigh in day and that's the only day that I report.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I weigh every morning. If it stays the same obviously I do not post it. It hasn't went back up so I haven't had to deal with that. And when it goes down I log it that morning.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    There will be water weight in the first few weeks of weight loss, and it's normal. Weight yourself at the same time each week, and log your weight once a week. To be more accurate, log your measurements, as they will give you a better indication of fat loss than the scale.
  • JoyfullySimpleFit
    Options
    Typically you set a goal to weigh in every week or every two weeks or every month whatever you feel is right for you. You do not want to be looking at the scale everyday all that does is discourage you.
    Weigh in the morning after going potty before you eat anything. That will be your true weight. Then log that weight into MFP, put the scale away outta sight so you are not tempted to use it more then needed, and continue on with your workout routine for the week or whatever you choose.
    Never weigh yourself after a shower. Your wet hair will just add more weight then it really should read.
    HTH.
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday but I consider saturday my "official" weigh in day and that's the only day that I report.

I do this too except my weigh in day is Wednesday. I like to know where I am not only on a given day but overall. If I eat too much sodium or don't drink enough water I will see an increase. I report my weight regardless of what it is on Wednesday but knowing what I weigh consistently helps me stay on track. I also don't get to excited/frustrated by the fluctuation as long as overall it is heading the right way.

I also take measurements each week on my weigh-in day just in case the scale isn't moving the way I want it to I will be able to see the difference somewhere else.
  • Tyva
    Tyva Posts: 34
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning and only really pay attention to the week-to-week number, but when should I actually log it in as weight loss? How can I be sure it's not water weight etc...?

I was thinking the same thing this morning. I was told that if you drink you water consistently, the water weight will drop. Showing you true weight. Kinda hard to tell whats water weight especially if youve deviated. Looking at the scale week to week and weighing around the same time is the right thing to do. Looking at it everyday drives me bonkers lol but I still do it LOL.

For posting sake, I personally post everyday bcuz I want see if the sodium in the foods I eat affected my water retention or trying to figure out the best time to drink so it doesnt show up on the scale too bad. My weekly weight days are on Friday though.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I weigh and record my weight each day.
  • starrbright585
    Options
    this all makes perfect sense. sometimes the scale just seems to good (or bad) to be true!
  • kcalla
    kcalla Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My official weigh in is Friday...for 3 years now. Today, I'm at my "official goal weigh range" but have been sick. The "one head cold away from goal weight" weight! (Devil Wears Prada) Since it's only Monday... wonder if I can hang on til Friday! I hope so!

Posting my daily weights is too much up and down for me. Weekly works better. Same time, before coffee and after trip to the bathroom. Sometimes I wish I had freshly shaved legs....
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My official weigh in is Friday...for 3 years now. Today, I'm at my "official goal weigh range" but have been sick. The "one head cold away from goal weight" weight! (Devil Wears Prada) Since it's only Monday... wonder if I can hang on til Friday! I hope so!

Posting my daily weights is too much up and down for me. Weekly works better. Same time, before coffee and after trip to the bathroom. Sometimes I wish I had freshly shaved legs....
    Clean your ears too. :laugh:
  • JanW01
    JanW01 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

LOL, sometimes a good haircut works wonders too but that is only doable every few months. :laugh: