I am happily surprised!

Shamrock40
Shamrock40 Posts: 264
edited September 24 in Success Stories
Today is 10 weeks since I began my weight loss journey. Three weeks into it, I went to my doctor with pretty bad foot pain, and was told to stop high-impact aerobic activity because my achilles tendon was severely inflamed. I was SO discouraged, because at that point, I had lost 11 lbs. I thought for sure that without high-impact exercise (where I was obviously burning a higher number of calories and getting a better workout,) I wouldn't lose anymore weight. I was really deflated. My husband and I considered a gym membership for me, but ulitimately, we decided to get an elliptical (something more low-impact) for our home. It took a while for us to select something, then we decided to wait for our tax refund before we purchased it. Fast-forward 7 weeks to today. Our elliptical is scheduled to arrive on Thursday, so I am really psyched about being able to get back into exercising.

However, I am happy to report that I have continued to lose weight simply by keeping under my calorie goal every day. I have been walking a couple of times a week with my kids - not a particularly fast walk because they're little - but, other than that, I have just been doing my daily routine. The only activity that I log that wouldn't really be considered "exercise" to some is grocery shopping. I push my two kids (nearly 80 lbs of weight) in a shopping cart with that big double-seat attached to the cart. Pushing that thing around empty is a workout, nevermind adding groceries to it.

I have lost an additional 15.8 lbs since I last "exercised" in January. Although I am all for exercising and getting physically fit, I'm here to tell you that you can lose weight without exercise if you stick to your calorie goal every day and choose your food wisely. Don't use not getting to the gym or not getting exercise as an excuse to not lose weight. It can be done!

Thanks to all the great support from my MFP friends. You all are an inspiration to me!

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    great job! and i love ellipticals :)
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    The elliptical is my favorite too! What kind did you end up getting?
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Congrats on ur accomplishments. Keep up the great work :smile:
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    great job. I have witnessed you lose weight, and little did I know-- you were doing it sans "working out". congrats. I know how much you have progressed. be proud, and congrats on ur elliptical purchase. those things are little gifts from god..... ok a BIG gift from God.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Good job!!! I agree that you don't need to workout to lose weight, but it sure helps! :)
  • lemanda
    lemanda Posts: 116 Member
    I've heard losing weight is 70% food, 20% exercise and 10% genetics. Good job!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Oh but I think you’re missing the best lesson in your story. and that is one of perseverance and doing what you can right now. So many people (including myself, in the past) would have thrown in the towel and given up their weight-loss plan as soon as that injury and pain kicked in. But instead, you took control of the one thing you could control right now: what you eat. And you are still losing weight. Awesome example! Keep on flying.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Good for you! Keep it up!!!!
  • PE169
    PE169 Posts: 12
    Well done a true inspiration and a message to us all. Keep it up
  • PE169
    PE169 Posts: 12
    Well done a true inspiration and a message to us all. Keep it up
  • Shamrock40
    The elliptical is my favorite too! What kind did you end up getting?

We got the ProForm 6.0. Ordered it off Amazon.com with no tax and free shipping! It was $399.99, which at the top of our price range, but with no tax or shipping (saved almost $200!) it was right there. I found out today it's actually going to arrive Wednesday!
  • Shamrock40
    Oh but I think you’re missing the best lesson in your story. and that is one of perseverance and doing what you can right now. So many people (including myself, in the past) would have thrown in the towel and given up their weight-loss plan as soon as that injury and pain kicked in. But instead, you took control of the one thing you could control right now: what you eat. And you are still losing weight. Awesome example! Keep on flying.

Thank you. My husband has pointed that out to me repeatedly. I read your blog, and was thinking the same thing about you with your vertigo. Keep on keepin' on! Thanks for your encouragement. :)
  • kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    It's true what they say "great abs are made in the kitchen". Weight loss is ALL about what you put in your mouth. The excercise helps with the muscle tone and firms up all the bits left over (plus it can fire up your metobolic rate and muscles burn more calories at rest than fat does).

Great committment to eating well, despite your injury!
  • biellas
    biellas Posts: 39
    I got the same machine last October when I decided I preferred not to run on the pavement. It really is the best machine at that price range. We put it together ourselves though the heart of it does come assembled. Make sure that you put enough of the grease in the joints and that you tighten the screws to the max. The heart rate monitor isn't great but that's the case with any machine you would buy though I have found the calorie counter to be fairly close to my heart rate monitor too. Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!