Don't you wanna do it the easy way????!!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Did she say what your doing isnt good enough or fast enough?Or was that what you read into it?Mabey she just thought since both of you are losing weight she would tell you what shes doing.I dont see why that is something to get mad about.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    So many diets are a scam these days. All you really have to do is decrease your calories and increase your exercise. It's the easiest, healthiest, and best way to maintain your weight loss.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said see her in a year and see where she's got to.

You'll have changed your lifestyle and will be fit and slender... and she'll be off her shakes with an extra 30lb.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    I dont do diet fads,but ive known lots of people that have.Ive seen pleanty of people that have kept the weight off after diet fads the ones that didnt were the ones that thought they could go back to eating however they want.I have also seen lots of people that do it this way gain back all the weight because once they hit their goal weight they went back to eating however they want.None of us are better than anyone else.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You may know people in both camps but statistically people following fad diets such as SlimFast etc are less likely to succeed long term than those who make lifestyle changes in nutrition and activity levels that they intend to be permanent.

It's a simple fact.

That's no slight on the person, it's a problem of approach.

And at the end of the day it's not just about weight loss, it's about health. For good health you need good nutrition and increased activity. You can't spend the rest of your life on milk shakes.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Number one reason why I deleted my facebook account. I got really fed up with my personal business, plastered all over the internet! Thats also why my diary here is private.....:embarassed: Just my two cents...
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    I feel you. I stopped putting my updates on FB due to crap like that.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry for those who had bad experiences with FB. . FB has been my support system in this, all my friends are cheering me on and get excited for me when i lose another bit of weight. . but I also won't be friends with anyone who gets nasty and have deleted those, I learned a few years back to delete toxic people from my life ;)
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I know a few people like this, talking me into Adkins, diet pills, HCG, and so forth. This will only benefit for a short term, as you stated, doesn't teach us how to propberly eat. I have learned the hard way these quick fixes are not the best, they may be quick, but not permanent.
  • Crossfit_Mom_2_4
    Crossfit_Mom_2_4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I have this person who is pushing me to 'sell' products, and I can only be so gentle and nice about my financial situation. I respect each individuals successes, but don't expect anyone to push what works for them on me because I wouldn't do it to them. But then, we can not always expect others to be what we are, right?

As its been pointed out - this woman who's imposed her opinion of what would work for you will come full circle when she realizes "Liquid/Supplemental" weight loss is 'temporary'. Long term success is based on consistency, good nutritional healthful eating, and exercise.

YOU GO GIRL!!

BTW - I'm on week four of TurbFire - AND LOVE IT!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Did she say what your doing isnt good enough or fast enough?Or was that what you read into it?Mabey she just thought since both of you are losing weight she would tell you what shes doing.I dont see why that is something to get mad about.

It sounds more like the friend is trying to "push" or "sell" her something that she's not interested in. I agree with you that it is okay to give ideas and suggestions, but not to the point someone feels what they are doing is not as good as the other. All personal opinions, preferences, and what truly works for each individual.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law is doing a fad thing right now with some shakes and such. I am keeping my mouth shut for now, but after she gains the weight back or part of the weight I will talk to her about here. I do post my updates to Facebook at times, I break the link until i want to post.:happy: I have 3 people (family on wife's side) that have gone through weight loss surgery. I am trying to show them it can be done without the 'quick fix'. My status updates are my passive/aggressive approach to tell people about this site. :laugh:
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

It sounds more like the friend is trying to "push" or "sell" her something that she's not interested in. I agree with you that it is okay to give ideas and suggestions, but not to the point someone feels what they are doing is not as good as the other. All personal opinions, preferences, and what truly works for each individual.

I could be wrong but the way I read it isa this woman sent her one message telling her about her shakes.I dont see how that is something to get so mad about.Now if you said no and she continues to try to sell you on it yeah thats rude.But if she sends one message saying "hey this is what I do" and you look at it like shes putting down your chosen menthod of weight loss or saying your not doing it right or fast ebough I think you may be a wee bit on the sensitive side.
  • misshenn78
    Options
    Argh!! I am totally in the same boat as far as not understanding the fad diets! My sister is QUEEN of them! She is starting this week, and I got excited, and suggested she come over and work out with me a couple times a week, it would be fun. However - this diet requires ZERO excercise - since it is only 500 calories a day!!! I told her she was crazy - and she told me I won't be saying that in a month when she loses 30lbs. Really?!?! I just wished her luck in keeping it off. She somehow thinks this diet defeats all medical science has to say about losing/maintaining, and living a healthy life style!!! ARGH!!! Good for you for standing your ground - life is not suppose to be easy!!!
  • be_kris
    be_kris Posts: 47
    Options
    Actually, the Body By Vi - Visalus is really good for you, and I would hope you would look at the nutritional content before blasting it. I have known lots of people that have done it, and kept the weight off. I'm on it right now, and some days I don't take the shakes, but I have learned to eat healthy through it. I don't have an issue if you're not into it, that's fine, but research it before you blast it. It's not a fad diet, and my doctor actually recommended it, because it's the only weight loss shake that doesn't diminish your muscle mass, it actually helps your muscles grow, and can be used as a protein shake if you've already lost the weight and want to feed your muscles. Something these things aren't bad for you, you just need to look into them more. Everyone is entitled to their own opionion, I don't have an issue with that, and I hope I'm not offending anyone, but if you're going to get mad at something, at least look into it and have an educated opinion on the matter.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Science shows that the slower you lose the more likely you are to keep it off.
    And that yo-yoing is bad for your metabolism. It stresses your body out.

If she implies that you're not losing fast enough, that's really her problem not yours.
    (It does piss me off though)

Sure, it's nice to feel sexy, but I got one body and it's got to last me the rest of my life.
    Sometimes I do get impatient, but I'm in this for the long haul.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Actually, the Body By Vi - Visalus is really good for you, and I would hope you would look at the nutritional content before blasting it. I have known lots of people that have done it, and kept the weight off. I'm on it right now, and some days I don't take the shakes, but I have learned to eat healthy through it. I don't have an issue if you're not into it, that's fine, but research it before you blast it. It's not a fad diet, and my doctor actually recommended it, because it's the only weight loss shake that doesn't diminish your muscle mass, it actually helps your muscles grow, and can be used as a protein shake if you've already lost the weight and want to feed your muscles. Something these things aren't bad for you, you just need to look into them more. Everyone is entitled to their own opionion, I don't have an issue with that, and I hope I'm not offending anyone, but if you're going to get mad at something, at least look into it and have an educated opinion on the matter.

My first reaction was to reply saying I JUST DON'T BELIEVE YOU... I do believe that you believe this.... but then I read all the way through your post and saw.
    look into it and have an educated opinion on the matter.

And I thought she is right. I should have an informed opinion before I spout off.
    So I did some research this afternoon and this evening.
    And I think it looks like an intriguing multi-tiered marketing scheme.
    But I found no reliable objective sources that endorse this or even comment on the validity of the science that Dr. Seidman espouses. And any "reviews" or "personal testimonies" on the product all seemed to be posted by someone selling the product.

This is NOT enough to dissuade from what I have learned from my personal experience in my almost 50 years on this planet.

I"m here on MFP. because it's a great tool for me to track my calories and nutrition. I also gone back to maintenance for health reasons and have found that hard. I think the less drastic you are in your diet, the easier it will be to transition into a lifestyle that you can maintain.

I think there is a reason that studies show that the slower you lose weight the more likely you are to keep it off.
  • Selaen
    Selaen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How about you look at this from a positive standpoint.. She's trying to help. Yes, she might be going about it the wrong way, but it's not like she's doing it to be mean.

You've found this great site, "MFP" and you want to tell people about it. You know your friend is trying to lose weight by going to slimming clubs, but you want to tell her about MFP. You tell her what the pros & cons are and you try to get her to use it because "it's just so ace". You're doing the same thing that she is doing but not because you're trying to be mean.

People believe in these products, and if they want to do so, bash on. If it works for them, what does it take away from you? She's told you about it; just say "I'M NOT INTERESTED" and make sure she knows you're just really not interested. These people are human; not some marketing machines.