Aggravated with myself

Options
And I just need to admit it somewhere....and what better place than here?

I start off just about every day with a good mindset in regards to my food...and I'll do great for 90% of the day and then wham, I make the most stupid decisions!!!

Why do I insist on standing in MY OWN WAY?! It's absolutely ridiculous!

I KNOW what I need to do...in the common sense area of my brain...but then the insecure area of my brain thinks "nah you won't succeed" and I give it all up for what?! 5 thin mints? Or chips and salsa?!

I need to get my head in the game asap!

Ok vent over.

Replies

• callmefor911
    callmefor911 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i think we are all human and it is a life style change and when u make the wrong food choices just move on and try not to be so hard on yourself..

take care and have a great day...
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. It takes time to get yourself used to ignoring your cravings. it's not an easy thing and you will manage eventually. If you wanna add me I will be happy to motivate you!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Are you a night eater too? I will be well within my budget and then BAM nighttime hits usually the last 3 hours before bed and I can't get the fridge off my mind. I found its just that I want something to chew on. So I stick gum in my mouth before I even want it and read a book or do something that involves my hands. I'm not gonna lie I still think about food, but it helps and after the first couple days of doing well you don't want to ruin your good progress so it starts to become habit.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I self-sabotaged my way up 40 pounds! I'd start off great all day then binge on something ridiculous at night. The next day I'd feel awful and starve myself, then in a hypo-glycemic moment of weakness I'd binge again.

So not healthy.

Food is fuel. It's not my best friend, my drug, my confidante, my fuzzy blankie... I am really trying to learn that.

Good luck and you are not alone!!!
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    We all go there. I will have an awesome day and then think... I should eat some chips right before bed. Ruins a good day! This is a process and we are unlearning a lifetime of habits! Don't beat yourself up and keep working toward your goals! Best of luck!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I understand completely!!! Sometimes we are so afraid to succeed that we sabotage ourselves... So weird... I wish I could have that part of my brain operated on and it not exist anymore!
  • kristimartiny
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it! This whole journey is a learning experience. We will have good and bad days. I know exactly what you are talking about...you tend to sabotage yourself and efforts...I do too... This past week was really frustrating, I did a ton of elliptical, over 5000 calories worth and ate right, but I think due to this time of month or it coming soon, I actually gained over a pound and a half...HUH? The cookies and chips and salsa, can be worked into your calories....you have to enjoy fun food at times too! There are so awesome chips out there and the salsa is just good for you! as far as cookies, I know I couldn't stop after one or two, so I don't eat them, for now....Good luck to you!!!!! You can do it! One day, one meal at a time.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    How about you do this? You give yourself 1 unhealthy snack a day. Set it for a special time so you can look forward to it. But keep it in moderation and log the calories. That's what i had to do. 1 a day is not going to ruin your whole day or week. Do some jumping jacks or run up and down stirs for 5 minutes, you will have earned it!
  • kareokemom5
    Options
    I have this book that says that when you find yourself wanting to eat wait 15 minutes. During this 15 minutes think of why you want to eat and how your are feeling at the moment. Ask your self whether eating will change how your feeling. The book says that if you do this most times you will not eat what you set out to.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I can understand how you feel. Before I really started my journey of getting healthy I would drive by McD's and argue w/ myself on whether or not I should stop and get a breakfast sandwich. After the first few times of just driving past it and telling myself 'no' it got so much easier. Now when I drive by, I don't even think about it. After you tell yourself 'no' those first few times, I think it will become much easier for you. But don't be hard on yourself. Just gain that willpower to resist whatever you may crave. Is it something that you could compromise and find a healthier alternative for? Like, I LOVE chocolate so I'll get a fiber bar with some chocolate on it and it satisfies that craving.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...

To some degree I know I'm being hard on myself but I also feel like well what the hell, I went years without being hard on myself and look where it got me!

I just hate seeing the scale bounce up and down and know I can control what it does for the most part, and then realize I can't control myself to not binge. Bleh.
  • airmay1
    airmay1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. Things happen but don't get discouraged. If you fall off the wagon, just jump right back on. Maybe next time try grabbing an apple if you're craving something sweet or nuts if you want something crunchy. Hang in there!! :smile:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think this is a woman's number one reason for weight issues. You need to decide to do this for you - that you are worth it - that you deserve to be healthy, thin, sexy and just plain hot because of your inner confidence. Next time you want to eat go fill up a large glass of water and drink it first, it's my trick for avoiding bad foods.

Try this - write down every day, three positive things about yourself. Nothing negative, just positive. I'm a firm believer in self affirmations. It wasn't until I wrote my goal weight on my bathroom mirror to look at it every day - it's written in lipstick - right there, that I was really able to focus on my own path.

You can do this!! You deserve this!! You will succeed!!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I can understand how you feel. Before I really started my journey of getting healthy I would drive by McD's and argue w/ myself on whether or not I should stop and get a breakfast sandwich. After the first few times of just driving past it and telling myself 'no' it got so much easier. Now when I drive by, I don't even think about it. After you tell yourself 'no' those first few times, I think it will become much easier for you. But don't be hard on yourself. Just gain that willpower to resist whatever you may crave. Is it something that you could compromise and find a healthier alternative for? Like, I LOVE chocolate so I'll get a fiber bar with some chocolate on it and it satisfies that craving.

I do this ALL THE TIME-the arguing with myself. Today I came to work, had a decent breakfast and then had to leave for an appt. I had a bit of a scuffle on the HW that totally got my anxiety through the roof and then sat in the waiting room for 30 minutes unable to sit still. When I left I decided "good god I need coffee" and all through my wait in the drive thru I went back and forth about asking for a donut. Thankfully, the girl hwo took my order didn't give me the option lol and after I told her my coffee she just said "ok drive up". Haha...thank you Dunkins girl....

My area in town is CRAWLING with temptation. I know I'm not the only one but my god, I have 7 yes SEVEN Dunkin Donuts within a 3 mile radius of my house. Plus all the fast food. And I hate to admit it but I love fast food...like the actual taste....so I do keep ttelling myself "you can make something similiar for half the amount of fat and calories at home" and that will usually work...but then other times I let my emotions take control and I end up with a number 4 two cheeseburger meal from McD's.

The one thing that I'm atleast proud of myself for is realizing I do this...and acknowledging it has to change. But it's still frustrating as all hell!!!! :grumble:
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    what you need to remember is that small changes over time are what stick, we did not get to out current state by deciding one day to suddenly eat like crap or eat to much, it took time and depending on how important you make it to yourself the changes can stick or not stick. Just resolve to make a change stick and head in the right direction, the weight loss journey back to a healthier you is not going to happen overnight as much as many would like it to be. I happen to really like how I feel by eating a really clean diet and the results speak for themselves, I feel great, have lost 25 pounds to date and am in the best shape I have been in for the last decade. So my advice is to find what works for you, ultra restrictive diets fail end of story.