morning banana diet

Options
Hi all! I've decided to try the morning banana diet. this is my first day (2 hours in!) and I do feel good. I wake up normally at 5, so I had a banana at 5:30, with a glass of room temperature water. now that I'm at work I'm a little hungry, so I'm going to have a packet of instant oatmeal. I'll hold out until I'm finished writing and posting this :)
I decided to do this diet for a few reasons.
1) I've never tried a fad diet before. (I know, that's a stupid one) but i've never given in to the "you'll lose 300 lbs in 6 weeks!" I am a firm believer in it took me 5 years to gain this weight, it'll take me a LONG time to lose it.

2) I LOVE bananas. seriously. LOVE.

3) bananas are UBER cheap. there's a promotion at my local market that bananas are 19cents a pound. it works out to about 7 cents a banana. the only catch is that this market is only open on saturdays and sundays.

4) it's easy. yes. I'm LAZY. I do have time to workout and I don't. I have time to cook/plan meals, and I do cook mostly every day, (we eat out about once every 2 weeks) but I don't plan that well. I use a lot of guessipes. also this diet isn't THAT restrictive. I've had to tweak it a bit cause I get up/go to bed early, but other than that, I can eat what I want.

another thing- I think this diet is more of a mindset than anything. I normally eat cereal for breakfast, usually 1.5-2 times the amount I should eat and that takes up a lot of calories for the day.

any tips, suggestions, ideas or comments?

Thanks! now off to have oatmeal!

Trina

Replies

• rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Not sure if im on the banana fad diet or not but I have one every morning. They are loaded with good stuff and keep ya filled up so... I say they are awesome for ya! Some say they are bad for ya but I sometimes even have 2 a day and I lose weight every week. Good luck to ya!
  • Nellb69
    Nellb69 Posts: 3
    Options
    They are very good for you when dieting due to the slow release of oxins, it's does the same thing as porridge oats which do fill you until lunchtime. Try having both together if you are struggling til lunch, you will find after a couple of days it will keep you full. Good Luck.
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have barley with my banana in the mornings. Its not just a banana but its with other stuff :)
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I almost always have a banana for breakfast, I have a VERY noisy gut after I eat, and I find that the banana helps me overcome this, I get less hungry in the mornings having eaten a banana than if I eat a bowl of cereal or some toast, it's weird but it's how it works for me. If I get real hungry or it's a long morning, I have two bananas!
  • ryzola
    ryzola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How does this banana diet work? How does it assist in weight loss out of curiosity?
  • TrinaXL
    TrinaXL Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    honestly not exactly sure.. the website is www.morningbananadiet.com it lists all of the 'rules' with it. this morning a single banana and a glass of room temperature tap water actually filled me up. I made my journal public, so you can see it. I think the bananas I had were bigger than what MFP said, so I had 2 (one at 5:30 and one at about 11), but I put 3. I know bananas have dietary fiber, so maybe having fiber before anything else helps?
  • swtpotatolove
    Options
    Hi TrinaXL!!

I was thinking of starting banana diet as well. Did you see any results??
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like bananas and have one every few days or so. I also like apples, pears, oranges, mangos, melons, grapes, cherries, etc. etc. I hope this diet doesn't limit your fruits to just bananas. That really sounds boring. In fact eating anything the same over and over sounds like torture to me.
  • nickyjp2
    nickyjp2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Post seems to be from 2011? What is the banana diet?
    I eat loads bit of an addiction but they do need meet criteria :) Taste texture and country of origin all impact on taste