Veggie calories

Options
Does anyone here not count calories for veggies? I dont - well for certain ones I dont. I just feel like they are so good for you and they hardly have any. And I mean, no one ever got fat from eating cucumbers right :)
I was just wondering if I were alone in this way of thinking.

Replies

• 40notFatty
    Options
    I count them cos I like to know exactly where I am, and whether I really can have that small chocolate treat or not, plus i'm a bit of a control freak, you're right though - nobody got fat off brocolli!!!
  • 40notFatty
    Options
    I should also add that i'm a vegetarian so if i didn't add them i'd have a very low calorie total!!! hahaha!!!!
  • princess_f
    princess_f Posts: 148
    Options
    i add them, they might not be alot, but they all add up in time.
  • Anniepoo04
    Anniepoo04 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do not count them like you I feel as though know one has ever gotten fat from to much carrots.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I count everything because once I decide to skip something, it makes it easier to skip something else.......those small amounts add up and make a difference.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: if the calories for someones veggies for the day don't add up to much then they aren't eating enough veggies :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    A calorie is still a calorie, even if it comes from something healthy. If you ate 4000 calories worth of veggies you'd still get fat so...LOG EVERYTHING!!! :drinker:
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I count them depending on if they take over a large portion of my meal.. I am also a vegetarian so it would be weird to not count all the vegetables I eat. But, I agree that no one got fat on veggies. My dietitian said to eat as many as I wanted too!
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    A calorie is still a calorie, even if it comes from something healthy. If you ate 4000 calories worth of veggies you'd still get fat so...LOG EVERYTHING!!! :drinker:

amen!!!!
  • CherylleeH
    Options
    I count them. My motto is "you bite it, you write it.". :smile: Actually I think it's good to log veggies not only for the calories but if you are watching other factors such as carbohydrates, sodium, potassium, etc. they need to be logged.
  • RoseEnvy
    RoseEnvy Posts: 21
    Options
    I count them because I eat veggies and fruit for every meal and I'm a vegetarian...My diary would be empty without it.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options

exactly!
    you have to count everything... there is no such things as 'free calories'...
  • GoBanana76
    GoBanana76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well, i dont count them because im not eating pounds upon pounds of them daily. Like right now for a lunch snack - I have some carrots celery and cucumbers with veggie dip - the dip i am counting though lol
  • Carolynsb3
    Options
    I do the old WW points and most veggies are free foods, Raw carrots, lettuce, bell peppers (I think), cucumbers, and lots of other veggies are stuff I can eat without adding points.

Peas and corn do count though. So I stay away from those.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    The not counting veggies is a weight watchers thing who bases their diet off of points not calories.
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It's also good to count your veggies so you know where you're at in your other goal ranges, like your protein and carbs.
  • lotrisneat
    lotrisneat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Depends. If I have half of cup of green beans with my dinner, then I count that. If I sprinkle a bit of lettuce on my taco, I don't usually worry about it because it's only going to be 2-3 calories.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My motto is "you bite it, you write it.". :smile:

I love this, it made me chuckle!
  • amriley
    amriley Posts: 4
    Options
    I do count my veggies, but I just guess measure how much I had. Unless of course they are fried or eat a lot of it.

When I eat a salad, I guess 1 cup of spinach and add it. I don't know if it's closer to 3/4 cup or 1 1/2 cups. But the 10 calories difference isn't going to make a difference for the day. Same with the red peppers I put on. Of course, I usually add the same things to my salad, so I made a "Salad" recipe that I just have to enter that and it is all counted.
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do log them but I can see where you're comin from in not logging them, because I read somewhere that your body pretty much burns the calories you eat in veggies when you digest them :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I enter them. When I have an appointment with the doc, nutritionist or dietician they ask for a print out of my food intake. They know I am using MFP so they will also ask for more specific info such as iron, sodium, calcium etc.